Opinion on driving 16 hours for a 4 night cruise...

paminohio

I would LOVE to be able to take my family (husband and 3 kids) on a cruise this year. We live in Ohio so the closer ports are NJ, NY, MD, and MA so I'm not able to get a short cruise where it's warm. Flying everyone to FL will cost over 1,000, which would then make this quickie, inexpensive trip NOT very inexpensive. We are drivers...we drive to Florida every year so the drive is not a huge deal. We recently drove 16 hours straight through from Orlando. Anyway...the drive to Jacksonville is only about 14 hours and to Mobile only 15 hours. I would like to hear opinions on whether it would be worth it to drive that long for a 4 night cruise on either the Holiday or the Celebration. Would my kids (ages 15, 7, and 5) enjoy themselves on these ships in October? Is Camp Carnival good on these ships in the fall? How are the pools? I assume these older ships do not have slides, but are the pools kid friendly?

Sorry for the LENGTHY question! I just really want to take my kids this year on a cruise and am trying to find a way! We are not taking our regular family vacation this year so we can put some money into our home (build a deck, etc.) so that is why I'm looking for something inexpensive (which is hard for a family of 5!) I figure we could do a 4 nighter on an older ship for under 1500.00.

Anyway...all opinions and comments welcomed!!

Thanks,

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

What about driving time to New Orleans? The Inspiration will be here and that's larger ship (with more to do for the kids maybe).

Check out our pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/natron24

Premier Royale 7/87

Sovereign of the Seas 11/90

Enchanted Seas 4/91

Ecstasy 11/91

Celebration 6/92

Crown Princess 11/92

Enchanted Seas 12/92

Tropicale 6/93

Crown Princess 11/93

Enchanted Seas 12/93

Celebration 6/94

Regal Princess 10/94

Enchanted Seas 12/94

Tropicale 4/95

Regal Princess 10/95

Enchanted Isle 5/96

Enchanted Isle 8/96

Crown Princess 10/96

Nieuw Amsterdam 4/97

Enchanted Isle 9/97

Celebration 10/97

Enchanted Isle 4/98

Norwegian Star 7/98

Celebration 11/98

Enchanted Isle 12/98

Norwegian Sea 5/99

Enchanted Isle 11/99

Enchanted Isle 5/00

Destiny 11/00

Inspiration 5/01

Celebrity Century 11/01

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Carnival Conquest 5/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/03

Carnival Conquest 5/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

Fishes_kiss.gif

Not many kids aboard October sailings, even on Carnival, since they are all supposed to be in school. There's some, but not a high number. Camp Carnival would be running activities programs, so it's not like they would be left with nothing to do.

The Fantasy-class ships do indeed have pool slides, but not as extravagant as, say, the Triumph. The Paradise's slide was a simple right turn into the pool.

Fourteen hours is not an onerous drive for a four-day cruise. But that statement comes from someone who would jump in the car and drive eleven hours to attend the Bristol night race.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

I'd say if the price is right and if your family is used tolong drives I would do it. I've never been on the smaller ships but I've heard people rave about them. You might also check some of the reviews written about any of the ships you're interested in traveling on.

The time of year should be fine temperature wise for traveling to the Carribean.

Sensation Feb 2002

Conquest Feb 2003

Elation Sept 2003

Destiny- May 2004!!!

I say DO IT!!!!! Drive every inch of the way!!

Going down will be no problem. Everyone will be soooooooo excited!! Coming home will be a different story. Everyone will be tired and will get on everyone else's nerves!! But you can endure anything for 16 hrs. I guarantee your kids will LOVE it!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Until the FUN begins!!!!

Ronath: I was also considering New Orleans...have to check the prices, though. Like I said, I don't want this to be an expensive trip, especially right before Christmas! If I can do it for under 1500.00 total, that would be great.

Glad to hear others think it would be worth the drive. We ARE drivers so it's not that big a deal.

Any more comments??

Thanks!!

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was gonna suggest what about New Orleans too, 'cause ours will be a close to 12 hour ride. You do what you gotta when you wanna cruise, that's how my sister's taking her son on a 7 day, 2years ago we did the Fantasy was shorter and cheaper. We were gonna drive to Pt Canaveral year before last but they came out with the friend fly free or something like that so we jumped on it and rented a car once we got there. May have to stay over somewhere on the way back home though, definitely will be too exhausted to be doing a sixteen hours ride. We done Dallas, TX a few times, maybe twice we actually stopped at a motel on the road. Riding is as tiresome as driving when you're making sure the driver stays awake. I also agree it won't be too many children in October.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=012000&cdt=2004;07;03;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Who say's heaven isn't right here on earth??

Conquest 07/04

Fantasy 07/02

Destiny 05/01

But that statement comes from someone who would jump in the car and drive eleven hours to attend the Bristol night race.

_Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas_

QUOTE]

Ahh....another Bristol fan....we do both the March and the August Race, great race weekend before last. We are lucky though, just under 4 hours for us! Nothing like the roar you feel in Thunder Valley!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crzndeb:

I don't know if something over the Thanksgiving week is do-able for your family, but there are usually more kids on that week in the fall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And significantly more expensive. I get the impression that the OP is looking for off-peak pricing, hence October.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

And significantly more expensive. I get the impression that the OP is looking for off-peak pricing, hence October.

_Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas_

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got it!!!

Pam

until Voyager

That's true...with a family of 5 you can't really do the cheapy quarantee...I got a guarantee 4a on the Elation over Thanksgiving week for $410 +$171 taxes...I thought that was pretty good. But the $410 was $250 the week before, so yes, it is more.

This is a no brainer.

Drive!

If that's what it takes to cruise then do it.

Unless (and here's the icky part nobody wants to hear) ANY of your plans put you in financial jeopardy.

The very last thing you want to do is go deep into debt to go on a cruise.

One of the great things about cruising is that you've paid for 85% of your vacation up front, before you even get on the ship. Coming back home to a mountain of debt worse than anything Santa and Christmas could ever muster is bad news and not worth it.

BUT!

With some realignment of your priorities it's quite possible that you are already spending money on stuff that could be spent on your air or cruise fare. In order to cruise more often we forgo many needless expenses that we wouldn't have thought twice about spending money on before.

Case in point: This afternoon I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my lawn mower so I can fix it. In the olden, pre-cruise, days I would have gone and bought another one. Now, the last one I bought was a fine John Deere model that should out-live me and it should be less expensive to operate in the long run.

Get it?

DD went to X store to buy clothes and got "three things for what I would have paid for one thing at Z store" Yeah but how long will they last?

Your comment <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just really want to take my kids this year on a cruise and am trying to find a way! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Says a lot.

I think you CAN take them on a cruise for $1500 or less if you're willing to drive.

One strategy would be to plan the time and the trip but not buy the cruise till the last minute. It's risky in that there might not be any last minute deals so I'd plan your window of time loosely and make it for some sailing out of Miami where lots of ships sail from.

For example, on the Carnival site right now is a 4 day on the Fascination for $299pp but you have to be able to sail on 04/19/04. Short notice but that cruise comes up on the specials a lot. It was our first cruise and its a good one. If you'd like to make it a liitle longer consider a pre or post cruise day in Florida staying at an inexpensive hotel you bought through priceline. You can stay anywhere you want since you have a car and save a ton over the areas that most cruise passengers pick for pre or post stays.

I know that coming from the midwest (where we live) you'll love it there.

I really think you can do this.

The cruise fare, including port charges and taxes, will eat up your budget so you'll have to find some more money someplace....simply not going out to eat or to a movie AT ALL between now and then usually does it for most people.

The Itinerary on that one is great for budget minded (like us) cruisers. Key West is a short call and while fun you won't need to spend a lot ashore. We went ashore, walked around, saw Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, ate the best piece of Key Lime Pie in the world then came back to the ship.

Cozumel is a long call but a taxi ride to a beach with lunch packed that you got from room service is a cheap and wonderful day in port.

I think its all a matter of planning and budgeting starting right now.

If it sounds like a lot of gymnastics to get to go on a cruise? It is

If you're wondering if it's worth it? It is

Here's more to consider:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/what_s_next_

Good luck

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

We vacation in FL often (have relatives in Cocoa and Tampa) so we're very accustomed to the drive. I'm was picking Jacksonville because it's the quickest drive...would like to NOT have to stay overnight and waste another day to get down there, seeing as we're taking the kids out of school. However, if the ship sails on Saturday or Sunday, we could do that and choose a cruise out of Port Canaveral and have my aunt drive us to the pier and save on parking. So, I know there are alot of possibilies. We always stay in FL for at least a week, so that is why I was wondering if a cruise is worth the drive if it is only for 4 nights. Our first ever cruise is in May (my husband and me alone!) so I don't have anything to compare it to yet. I was hoping everyone would say 'yes' it's worth it.

1500.00 would be fine for me to pay...I don't want to spend 2500.00 and fly, though.

Anyway...keep the comments coming and thanks so much to those who have already responded.

Pam

until Voyager

Wasn't there an announcement recently that Carnival is moving a ship to Mobile? I am thinking that would be even closer than New Orleans...

Happy Sailing (however you have to get to the ship)!

Big Red Boat 6/1989

RCCL Song of America 2/1991

Regent Rainbow 1/1992

NCL Seaward 5/1993

Carnival Fantasy 7/1993

Carnival Ecstasy 6/1994

RCCL Nordic Empress 4/1995, 7/1996, 8/1997

NCL Leeward 4/1997

RCCL Sovereign 5/1998

RCCL Nordic Empress 8/2000

RCCL Majesty 6/2003

Carnival Sensation 7/03

Glory 7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

`Triumph 5/29

Originally posted by paminohio:

...the drive to Jacksonville is only about 14 hours and to Mobile only 15 hours.

Pam, as you already know, the Holiday will be homeported in Mobile at that time. N.O. would be another two hours' drive, so I would rule that out.

How are the pools? I assume these older ships do not have slides?

There are three pools on the Holiday. Main pool w/nice, curving slide (YES, older ships have slides!) ~ Small 'wave' pool at the rear of the Lido Deck, and a Children's pool on the Promenade Deck.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Well, we just did the drive for our family of 5 to go on the 5 day Celebration cruise from Nebraska to Galveston, so I'd have to say "yes, do it".

here is the link to my review, if you're interested in giving it a look-see! (hope it works! icon_biggrin.gif

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=67310769&f=969097554

Penny

Disney Magic Eastern 7/2003

Spring Break 5 days onboard Celebration! Mar 22 '04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;03;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Aug 1 '04 Carnival Elation--Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Last June I took my cousin and her friends on a graduation cruise (only 4 day) and we drove to Long Beach. That was about a 13 1/2 hour drive as we live in northern Utah. To us some of the fun is the drive. We usually try to break it up on the way home by staying a night in Vegas which is about mid point, but not always.

Cass

Disney Wonder 5/2001

Carnival Elation 2/2002

Carnival Ecstasy 6/2002

Voyager of the Seas 5/2003

Carnival Pride 6/04

Brian: Yes, it does!! Maybe I should take the family on that, instead! Would be cheaper! Are you originally from this area?

Thanks for the info re: flying, but with 5 of us, there is no way we can do it for less than 1,000. Way to much for a quick, cheap vacation!

I've got it narrowed down to three choices: Holiday out of Mobile (15 hour drive), Celebration out of Jacksonville (14 hour drive, plus we have relatives there that could take us to the pier), or Fantasy from Port Canaveral (16 hour drive, relatives there, also)

The Fantasy is only 4 nights, the other two are 5 nights. The price difference is minimal. Although with 4 nights we'd save another 50.00 in tips by not being on the ship that extra day. So, I guess we'd save like 200-300 by only going 4 days.

With Mobile, we'd have to pay to park (anyone know how much that would be?), plus no where to go before the cruise if we want to drive all night and catch a few winks before.

UGHH..decisions, decisions! I haven't even taken my first cruise and I'm already stressing about my second!

How is the Celebration? Slide on this pool? I KNOW that is something my kids will love and this cruise is for them.

Thanks again,

Pam

until Voyager

Yeah, I grew up in Elyria before moving to the warm, tropical paradise of NE Indiana.

Not to disuade you, but there wa a post around here not more than a week old about 'ships you wouldn't sail again' or something. I breezed through it, but it seems like the Holiday was a pretty popular entry on that topic. It also seems like one of the Carnival ships out of Canaveral is really new, and one's really old.

Of course, any of them would be slightly more exotic than the Goodtime II, or Miller's ferry, especially in October.

P.S. [url=http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=969097554&m=25110459]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=969097554&m=25110459] Here's that thread

Brian

Destiny 10/26/03

[This message was edited by brian5 on 04-08-04 at 10:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by brian5 on 04-08-04 at 10:00 PM.]

Hello Pam. How did you book the cruise you are taking in May? It's been my experience that a travel agent that is worth their salt, could assist you with a lot of these arrangements and even offer some advice on location, modes of transportation and such.

Mine is excellent in that respect. Each time I have planned a trip with her assistance, she has come up with some of the best ideas! Things I would never have thought of on my own.

Speaking of flying, I am a diehard fan of AirTran. They always seem to have great rates/routes, and are awesome to fly with (in my humble opinion).

No matter what, keep at it and research all you can. It will be worth your while and the kids will think it's awesome! It truly is a one of a kind trip you'll never forget!

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

Judy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;4;10;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 4/10 Glory

Fantasy 2/2002

Glory 4/2004

Originally posted by tef43:

Not many kids aboard October sailings, even on Carnival, since they are all supposed to be in school.

More and more schools are doing a fall break - when we went during Columbus Day weekend, I think I saw more children that time than in the summer - go figure!

I also met several folks from the midwest that had driven to New Orleans. If you like the driving -- go for it! Great memories for the kids, even though they may fight in the car!

Have fun!

Cathy

Our trip on the Sensation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Holiday 6/2003

Sensation 10 2003

http://community.webshots.com/user/catnipper

Archived