Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Cinnabel - having sailed on Gemini several times and from Bali to Fremantle in November, I was disappointed that I couldn't get down to bid her farewell last Wednesday.

They would have had a great time in Albany NYE - I'm glad especially for the crew as we've put on dreadful weather each time they've been here - wet the day we arrived and then extreme heat at Christmas!

Tempts one to take a good old Aussie sicky ! Still available for booking SS GEMINI short sector cruises : Departing Sydney 18/01 for Cairns either return 12 nights trip, or one way 6 nights ; icon5.gifor departing Cairns 24/01 one way 6 nights to Sydney .

I am one of those who have decided to take your advice and throw a sickie or two. Only joking.

We are on the Brisbane to Cairns leg of the cruise. We were on the Gemini 10 years ago and it appears from the posts it is as good as it was then.

One question I have regarding dinner. Are there any Gala dinners or is dress smart casual for all dinners.

Johnicon7.gif

Hi Cinnabel - Sounds like you're based in the same neck of the woods as me :)

They were sure lucky with the weather in Albany on Friday - yesterday was very grey and drizzly with some light showers even - sorry I could not get over to Albany to have a look on Friday. There are a few more ships expected in Albany over the coming couple of months (QEII, Oriana and the Sun Princess I believe), regrettably we'll miss them (as we will be cruising ourselves :p )

Hi All

Hi JMAust, we were on the Gemini in Sept 07 for 14 days and we had 2 Gala Dinners, I would imagine that you would have one one your leg, we dressed up every night for dinner as we went to the Ocean Palace all the time, the Captains dinner saw attire from full dinner suit formal to neat casual. It is really up to you haw dressy or what you want to make out of the evening. Some pax didn't even bother to go as they had done it before and wanted to do other activities, so the choice is all yours.

Cheers

Les

On our 7 night sailing in August we had a Gala Dinner and on the Virgo they have had one even on 3 and 5 night (really 3+2) sailings, so I would think you should expect one on your trip.

As Les mentioned, up to you how much you want to dress up - we usually do and enjoy it (don't get much opportunity otherwise)

Hi Cinnabel - Sounds like you're based in the same neck of the woods as me :)

They were sure lucky with the weather in Albany on Friday - yesterday was very grey and drizzly with some light showers even - sorry I could not get over to Albany to have a look on Friday. There are a few more ships expected in Albany over the coming couple of months (QEII, Oriana and the Sun Princess I believe), regrettably we'll miss them (as we will be cruising ourselves :p )

Hi Boeckli,

Yes, I would say we are probably 1.5 hours away from you - assuming that is your town's emblem as your avatar! We also have a bird as our emblem - the big willy (wagtail, that is!)

I would not be too disappointed about missing the incoming ships visiting Albany with your excuse - it's much better to be cruising than dreaming about cruising, surely? I note from your signature that you have a full summer/autumn cruising programme ahead of you. Lucky you!!

It has taken a while for Albany to be discovered as a Port of Call, hasn't it? There is so much to do and see there in the day.

Hi Boeckli,

Yes, I would say we are probably 1.5 hours away from you - assuming that is your town's emblem as your avatar! We also have a bird as our emblem - the big willy (wagtail, that is!)

I would not be too disappointed about missing the incoming ships visiting Albany with your excuse - it's much better to be cruising than dreaming about cruising, surely? I note from your signature that you have a full summer/autumn cruising programme ahead of you. Lucky you!!

It has taken a while for Albany to be discovered as a Port of Call, hasn't it? There is so much to do and see there in the day.

Yes, my avatar is our town's emblem. I think I have also figured out your town - don't think I have ever been there and seen the sign with the bird but with the help of good old google ;)

Yes, it's good to see that Albany is finally getting there in terms of cruise ships. We have had the odd ones in recent years (Europa, Oriana, Adonia, Regal Princess etc.) but the frequency is definitely on the rise. Apparently it's not the easiest port to navigate and I think they have dredged the entry to the sound not so long ago (more for the large cargo ships though) and that may have eased some concerns. Weatherwise this part of the coast is probably only suitable in the summer months, too rough in winter. I think last time the Funchal was due to come to Albany they could not, due to bad weather. And when the Virgo was here in May 2003 on return from Melbourne they had to skip Bunbury so they could make Freo before the weather got too bad.

Hi Boeckli - next cruise is 2nd Feb on Sun Princess to Tasmania, then 21 Feb on SP to Asia. Would love to do one more on Gemini maybe September! I see you're off the day we return to Perth - that should be an interesting itinerary.

Vera

As we leave home a couple of days before, we may well cross paths in Sydney :). I assume it should read 21 May for your SP to Asia - means you're getting off her as we're boarding on 11 June.

Have not done ANY planning for the Mercury cruise - think we'll just go with the flow which is DH's preference. I'm normally a pre-planner and research a lot beforehand but can't get totally focussed on that trip (yet). Have only just finished transcribing the videos from the NCL Dawn cruise ;)

Hi Boeckli - yes, I did mean May! We seem to cross paths on our travels each time - maybe in June we could meet up in Fremantle!

Are you staying in Hawaii after your cruise, have you been there before?

Meeting in Freo may be an idea ... or how about in Sydney? When will you be there (you said we'd be leaving as you get home next month) - will you stay a while in Sydney before going home?

In Honolulu we have 2 nts (arrive early Sunday and fly out Tue am) so a bit of time for sightseeing. Have not been there before. Have you?

Star obtain a blanket Visa for the (2) ports of call in Vietnam for all passengers, and the fee for this is included in the Port charges of your cruise fare. Make sure though your Australian Passport has at least 6 months validity left in it overall . Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia (two other ports of call in Kota Kinabalu and Kuching) require NO VISAS to holders of Australian Passports . June 11 is shaping up as very populat sailing on Gemini ex HXG.

So no worries just remember to bring your Passport !!!

David, great picture-looking forward to the 21 days sAILING.

BTW-did you change aussie dollars into the currencies for the countries on the cruise=Vietnam etc ? Was thinking of change for markets etc.

Maggy

I always take the reliable old plastic fantastic and put all the large purchases and settle the on board ships account on that . I then take either US or Aus $ Travellers Cheques . I then cash those on a needs cash basis as I go along into either the local currency or US $ . In Singapore and Hong Kong widely accepted as well as the local currency are either $ US or $ Aus. In Vietnam it appeared to me that there were two official currencies in retailers accept easily either $ US or local Vitnamese Dong . On the 21 day Itinerary you pass through Singapore (Singapore $ ), Koh Samui (Thai baht), Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Halong Bay and Nha Trang (Vietnamese Dong), Kota Kinabalu & Kuching (Malaysian Ringit), and Hong Kong (HK $). So I would deal with all of that as above by converting my travellers cheques as required into US $ then tender that as payment (virtually a universal currency) and you always end up with small change in local currency which ends up being worth nothing when you try to exchange it . There are always local money changers in retail areas so you can quickly convert a US note into local small local change if you need to . Finally another of my golden rules of travelling always go to the local bank in Aus before you leave and get $ 100 Aus equivalent of the local currency of the first country you arrive in ex Aus (viz: either Singapore or HK $) then you have money for drinks, coffee, snack taxis etc immediately on arrival and you do not have to worry about exchange when you are watching bags, passports, the missus and perhaps feral billy lids. Trust this helps.

hi all

we are new to star crusing ,after crusing most of the med we have decided to cruise asia and have a few ? which i hope can be answered here.

1.we stay in a hotel the night befor our cruise hong kong to singapore the hotel is on mody road i think the gemini sail at night so was wondering what we should do on that day where to go eat etc.

2.the same for singapore we disenbark in morning but our flight isnt till 10 at night.so was wondering what to do for the day mind you we will have our luggae with us.what could we do with it and where to go eat etc.

we come from uk and wondered if many brits sail with star.we sail on may may 21st and cant wait

SS GEMINI sails six times from Hxg in 2008 always on a Wednesday departing 2100 at night from Ocean Terminal - Kowloon. Check in will be late afternoon . So preferably arrange with your TA for a late check out from your hotel, or worst case cloak your bags at the hotel and collect them late afternoon. Hong Kong is the worlds most exciting city - and you ask what do you do !!! Well 1. Shopping in Kowloon is the best value in the world. 2. Late morning cross the Harbour by Star Ferry (from Kowloon) for a pittance, then take taxi to base station of the Peak Tram . Take the funicular tram to Victoria Peak for a dreamy lunch overlooking HK Harbour . From there early afternoon take a taxi to Stanley market on HK Island . From Stanley Market Bus Station return by EXPRESS Bus to Star Ferry terminal at Central on HK Island, then Star Ferry back to Kowloon, collect your bags late afternoon from Hotel . Taxi to Ocean Terminal Kowloon, join SS Gemini .

Singapore is chaotic on arrival at Cruise Terminal. Now as you are flying out same night Singapore is not so easy for you. Probably best collect bags go straight to Airport by taxi and book your big your bags through to UK. Then return to city on MTR railway and fill in the day . Things to do - my must sees in Singapore - the famous upstairs Singapore Sling bar at Raffles Hotel for lunch, China Town, Orchard Road (shopping). Return to airport by either taxi or MTR late afternoon.

Unless you are really pressed for time suggest you extend your trip to allow 2 days minimum on arrival in Hxg. and also allow 2 full days in Singapore . Hell of a long way to come from UK to give such scant time to two of Asia's powerhouse cities. Your TA should be able to arrange cheap accommodation of good quality in conjunction with your airfares in both Hxg & Sin.

SS VIRGO and SS GEMINI both normally have a very good complement of Aussies and New Zealanders, with usually a generous sprinkling of folk from the "Old Country."

I have been to Singapore at least 6 times and Hong Kong 13 times and they are just sensational cities which I never tire of . I never spend less than three days in Hong Kong, and never less than 2 days in Singapore . So extend your stay in both cities if possible as the air fare from the UK is not small and is the same irrespective of how long you stay in each city .

I am interested in cruising on the Gemini or Virgo and cannot find a tour operator ie., cruise.com, and many more that list or book this cruise line. 1. Who can book this in the USA and is knowledgeable with flights and transfers. 2. Has anyone booked this with a tour operator that combined this cruise with a land tour of China? Which tour operator did you use?

Thanks for any help or leads:)

Suggest you contact Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) : International Sales Department 7665 Corporate Centre Drive, Miami , Florida 33126 U.S.A.

Phone (1) 305 436 4000 extensions - 7210 or 4475 . Alternatively e-mail starcare@starcruises.com.my and ask them to direct you to an accredited TA who handles STAR bookings in your US State .

Hi chris1950 - welcome to CC and especially the Gemini board.

Kuldalai has given you a good reply to your queries - I'd just like to add one thing. In Singapore if at the Raffles Hotel don't miss the small museum they have on the top floor, lovely photos and history of Singapore.

And to Kuldalai, have a lovely trip on Gemini back to Singapore - I'm jealous! We sail out of Sydney 2nd Feb on Sun Princess - mini cruise to Tasmania but hoping we'll get one more on Gemini before the end of the year!

Vera

hi everybody, i'm new to posting and cruising, have enjoyed reading the information you all give, very helpful,

we will be on the gemini, straits of malacca cruise in april 2008, noticed on the itinerary it didn't mention transfers, can anyone help with the best way to get from the airport to the port and the approximate cost involved,

also, reading the posts am not too sure about taking your own spirits onboard, is there a corkage fee involved

thanks for any replies