Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Pam and Dave

Don't know our cabin number yet as our documents have not arrived yet. The travel agent assures us we will recieve them in plenty of time.

I hope you have a wonderful time in NZ it is such an amazing country.

See you on the Gemini!!!!!!

Terese and Col

Hi Pam and Dave

Don't know our cabin number yet as our documents have not arrived yet. The travel agent assures us we will recieve them in plenty of time.

I hope you have a wonderful time in NZ it is such an amazing country.

See you on the Gemini!!!!!!

Terese and Col

we are leaving the UK on Sunday stopping off in Fiji for 5 days then south island for a week then north island for 3 days then Melbourne for 2 before Singapore .I am so excited ,but also dizzy,we are realy looking forward to the cruise at the end

hope to see you on board

Pam and Dave

hi kuldalai not long befor our cruises now,just a quick question for you.what is the entertainment shows etc like on the gemini.i know you sailed on the gemini recently and wondered if the same entertainers will be the same in may

We found it adequate but naturally not on the scale one finds on SS Virgo.

Coming up from Sydney to Singapore we had SS Gemini big band both as backing, dancing and their own tribute shows to particular musical genres.

SS Gemini quartet in Gemini bar and Ocean Palace . There were some Brazilian dancers who seemed to appear in a lot of the shows, plus Chinese Acrobats.

The Crew Show was an absolute highlight do not miss it . Also we had Twice As Nice for several shows as solo act (Westley & Shelley Diaz) from Las Vegas and being baby boomers we found their music just sensational . Overall we and most pax on board attended the shows in numbers and most pax seemed to be quite happy . Given we had just 250 pax I think they did pretty well . My only criticism is that that Star and all Cruise lines incite a fair bit of audience participation in some of the shows and personally that does not switch me on . My attitude is that iI pay to be entertained and do not expect to entertain my fellow pax unpaid !!!! Plenty of specialty dance classes if that interests you .

Overall more than happy, Heidi and the entertainers do a great job . With an 18 night cruise, a small loading and limited budget it is impossible to put on fresh faces each night . On 7 - 10 day cruise it is much easier for them . Heideicha (Cruise Director) is currently on leave , and another young guy who Colin Kerr bought on board in Bali is currently CD on Gemini .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

its been awhile since I poked my head in to see what's been happening great to see so many still enjoying the Gemini while we still can.

We still have ages to go til we get on her. We finished paying for our tickets this week so it got me going again about looking into everything.

Have a great time for those of you heading off soon.

:o

Hi, its been a while since I popped in and once again I have a question.

We are going on the gemini, straits of malacca cruise in April and the other day my parents were talking to a couple who have been on the gemini twice. They told my parents that kids have to eat dinner early as they are not allowed in the dining room with adults, and that when the adults eat the kids are cared for by the crew. This doesnt quite seem right to me and there is no way in hell I will be leaving my kids with strangers while I eat. I have no problem if we all have to eat earlier than others but surely I do not have to leave my kids with the crew if I do not wish.

Can anyone shed some light on the restaurant rules with regards to kids?

Cheers

Oh and am also interested to see if any others are on this cruise with us. We depart April 20th!!

countdown.pl?name=cruisin_D&date=4-20-2008&image=Beach-10&text=We are actually cruising the Gemini not Libra&ship=SuperStar Libra

Recall somewhere seeing but cannot pin the source a request for no children under 10 after 8pm in the Ocean Palace . Otherwise not aware of any such draconian restrictions as you suggest .

Now the Mediterannean Buffet which is more of an informal restaurant should be no problem at any time , and with the Ocean Palace it opens at 6.30pm each night so you have 90 minutes if my recollection is correct .

Provided your children are well behaved don't believe you will have any problems .

The child activity centre and minding centre (on Deck 8) is staffed by professional carers, and children left there to participate in activities are well looked after . They are certainly not just left with a crew member doing other functions .

I would forget about it and relax and enjoy your cruise .

I can only say I have seen once a dis-interested parent asked if she would get her absolutely feral ankle biter under control as the child was really annoying other passengers running around the buffet .

Thankyou Kuldalai, that sounds a lot more reasonable than what this couple were suggesting. We would be in and out before 7:30 I would think anyway, as the kids will be off to bed around 7:30 ish. Although with the excitement of being on the boat I wont be surprised if they are too excited to sleep for the first few nights till much later.

From the information our travel agent has given us it all sounds so friendly and accommodating and then this couple were quite abrupt about the way things are relating to the kids so I was starting to get a bit worried about it.

So once again thanks heaps and I cant wait till we are on it.

I have re-checked the latest SS GEMINI brochure, the booklet they gave me with my boarding papers and STAR NAVIGATOR (daily news sheet on board) and I cannot find anything re restrictions with children on SS GEMINi other than :

* Children under 12 in swimming pool must be accompanied by an adult.

(No lifeguards on duty.)

* Children in nappies are not allowed in pool .

* Parents are advised not to leave children un-attended in cabins.

Professional child minding services are available on request to Reception .

GEMINI just crawls with kids of all ages during Aussie school holidays so don't think you are going to have any problems, on the contrary I think you will find the staff will be extra accommodating and helpful .

i know you need a visa to visit vietnam and we have paid our t.a. for this and believe you get them once you are on board gemini.the question i have is do we need to bring any passport size photos for this in other countries we visited i know you havent needed any ,but as we never been to asia wasnt sure.plus would we need any other documents apart from our british passports.

If your travel agent has already obtained Visa for you it will be endorsed in your passport as valid for entry to Vietnam from xxxxx date for a period of xxxx days or a to a specific date .

If you do not have Vietnamese Visa then Star arrange blanket visa for all pax on board and you will probably be charged for it anyway . Blanket visa is a chit of paper given to you on disembarking and Vietnamese official notes the number on this paper visa each time you leave/board Gemini so do NOT lose it .

As for photos not required. BUT it is always a good idea to carry with you when travelling copies of the details (name etc) page of your passport, plus spare passport photos and a certified copy of your birth certificate . That way if you have your passport lost or stolen, it makes it so much easier and faster to get a replacement passport issued by your Embassy or Consulate whilst abroad .

Thankyou Kuldalai, that sounds a lot more reasonable than what this couple were suggesting. We would be in and out before 7:30 I would think anyway, as the kids will be off to bed around 7:30 ish. Although with the excitement of being on the boat I wont be surprised if they are too excited to sleep for the first few nights till much later.

From the information our travel agent has given us it all sounds so friendly and accommodating and then this couple were quite abrupt about the way things are relating to the kids so I was starting to get a bit worried about it.

So once again thanks heaps and I cant wait till we are on it.

The staff just love kids - you will find they will go out of their way to help you get served especially in the buffet. They will even get their food for them to solve the problem of not having enough arms and hands to get everybody's food. We were amazed at how the staff were really good with the young and the oldies. They couldn't do enough. - Mummsie

Hi, its been a while since I popped in and once again I have a question.

We are going on the gemini, straits of malacca cruise in April and the other day my parents were talking to a couple who have been on the gemini twice. They told my parents that kids have to eat dinner early as they are not allowed in the dining room with adults, and that when the adults eat the kids are cared for by the crew. This doesnt quite seem right to me and there is no way in hell I will be leaving my kids with strangers while I eat. I have no problem if we all have to eat earlier than others but surely I do not have to leave my kids with the crew if I do not wish.

Can anyone shed some light on the restaurant rules with regards to kids?

Cheers

Oh and am also interested to see if any others are on this cruise with us. We depart April 20th!!

countdown.pl?name=cruisin_D&date=4-20-2008&image=Beach-10&text=We are actually cruising the Gemini not Libra&ship=SuperStar Libra

There is no age limitations for any children to be in the dining rooms onboard SSG, (Ocean Palace, Mariners) but it is requested that children over the age of 10 are fairly following the dress code in OP. Of cause it is the parents responsibility to keep the children under control, as in any restaurant, so other passengers are not distubed.

Phuket today, with overcast and scattered showers.. NE monsoon still around.

Hi Cosamlin - seems far away but think of it, in a couple of days you'll be down to 99 and then it will start to go quickly!!

I'm hoping we can do one more trip on Gemini - still my favourite ship.

Vera

WOW Vera you were right I didnt realise it is closer than I thought woo hoo down to 93 days. The trip will be here before we know it. Yay!!:D :D :D

Hi Cosamlin yes, this is the exciting part - especially your first Gemini cruise! We're down to 52 days sailing out of Freo on Sun Princess 21 May so I'm starting to get things together and not have a last minute rush.

Vera

Hi Chris1950 - wonder if Sun Princess and Gemini will be at any of the ports together (am working so will check later!) You'll love Gemini, we'll be sorry to probably not have another chance to sail on her.

Yes certainly a mess at Terminal 5! Last cruise on Gemini some guy's case never made it from UK...

Enjoy your cruise

Vera

Hey Guys

I have read through this entire thread (takes about 3 nights of 2 hours a night) and have got some fantastic information.

I am actually chasing information for my parents who are about to embark on their first cruise. My wife and I cruised on the P&O Sky in 2006 through the straights on Malacca and I have convined my retired parents this is for them.

The only real question I have at this stage is how much room do you have to store baggage in your room? We had a suite for our cruise (honeymoon) so we had plenty of room, but my folks are travelling with a sister and the three of them are sharing an outside porthole room (cabin 2337 to be exact).

My father is worried about the size bag he should be taking? Any information I can pass on would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brad

GEMINI is a smaller boat and the cabins are not as big as on larger vessels like VIRGO . But overall SS GEMINI is a wonderful cruise experience .

So the amount of room in an outside cabin for luggage is not large. Best to unpack as much as you can into the wardrobes . Take a medium size case each, forget large cases.

The ultimate rule of packing ; pack everything you think you need - then halve it and you will get home and still find things you have not worn . Be tough it works, remember heavy luggage is a real burden on happy travel .

Large case will fit under the bed. If it doesn't slide under (because of the bedframe) have someone hold the end of the bed up!

I agree, travel light but I find shoes are the culprit and take up so much room so we usually take one large and one medium case.

Good to see that the Gemini thread is still going.

Packing for a short Straits of Malacca cruise should be easy (at least you know it's warm all the way :) ). It gets more difficult when you have to contend with great variance in temperature (and longer cruises).

One advantage of Starcruises "freestyle" dining arrangement is that you will not have the same table companions every night (so it does not matter if you wear the same outfit again ...)

Have finally uploaded photos from our recent Celebrity Mercury cruise - if anyone is interested, they can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/CelebrityMercuryFebMar2008 (or click the photo smiley in my signature).