Superstar Gemini

mummsie

ive got 9 more working days befor our hols, monday a bank hol in the uk.but got a few more days befor start our gemini cruise thou. was only going to to the star organised trip round halong bay,but now after reading maves question to the hanoi trip and reading the answers will do that one as well.so might se you on the coach mave to say gud day

Hi Chris,

Not long now Chris ;)......We intend to have drinks at the pool bar each afternoon before changing for dinner, so maybe we can meet up there for a drink. There are four of us in our group, one man and three women.......Isn't he a lucky man to be traveling with three women :D. Three of us are in our mid fifties, and my Mum is eighty five, so you should be able to pick us out. See you on board hopefully.

Mary. :)

Can anyone advise which categories have Balconies.

Thinking about upgrading from CA to AD or AC but having difficulty seeing where the value is, Thanks

just returned, people worrying about what to wear at the gala dinner, don't, we saw 2 dicky bow ties, half a dozen jackets, most of the men wore an open shirt and trousers, ladies in dresses, trousers etc. all looked lovely, relax and enjoy. ladies with long hair or problem fingers may need to take own hairdryer, the cabin ones are adequate but not too powerful and you have to keep your finger on the button for it to work.

Can anyone advise which categories have Balconies.

Thinking about upgrading from CA to AD or AC but having difficulty seeing where the value is, Thanks

I believe only AA suites have balconies. We had an AD (obstructed view) last year - still a good view, but we missed our balcony ... from memory the AA's were quite a bit more expensive than the good deal we got on the AD

There are few balcony Staterooms on Gemini compared to Virgo .

With Gemini IIRC there are only balconies on the 10 AA category Executive Suites on Deck 7 . (Executive Suites with obstructed view (rubber dinghy) in AB class # 7326 & # 7327) have no balconies.).

They are pricey . You can check out availability on Star website by using the search a cruise facility, hone in on your date and you will see if there are any AA's left and at what price .

Join up at same time for Star Cruiser Card (also at Reception ) for free. Then you get brownie points for the value of your cabin, and for all food & beverage purchases on board . When you settle your on board account at end of cruise redeem the brownie points and it will usually save you $ 100 - $ 200 off the account.

Hi Kuldalai - you mention here food purchases...what food is extra on the Gemini. Is there a surcharged restaurant?

Also I've been looking for the ship excursions on the Star website and I can't find any. Do we get a list of excursions with our documents or do we just book them onboard? Is there any problem with excursions selling out?

Cheers

Ging466

1. There is no specialty restaurant on Gemini . At Gemini Bar if you order any snack foods then it is charged to your account. Ditto any snack foods at bars or in entertainment venues . All grog and soft drinks, cappacinos in Gemini bar too charged. Free tea/coffee 24/7 in Mediteranean Buffet on Deck 6. Tea/coffee , facilities and 2 bottled water per day free in cabins.

Tap water in cabins is desalinated and quite safe to drink also.

2. Meals including water, tea, coffee in Mediteranean Buffet Deck 6 and Ocean Palace Deck 4 are inclusive.

If you and Big Al, and Helga care to e-mail me at

kuldalai@pipeline.com.au I will e-mail each of you the tour program for the 21 day round trip ex Singapore (which includes both single legs.)

When you join GEmini good rule is to get settled into your cabin, Check your "Star Navigator" daily newsheet and that will tell you when Tour Desk on Deck 5 near the Gemini Bar is open . Go down book your tours before departure (they are charged to your cabin card) and its all done .

My tickets turned up from my TA today so the pace picks up from here.

The Shore Excursions are a bit hard to find on the Star website but they are there .

http://www.starcruises.com opens home page

* then for Shore Excursions for GEMINI

Select FLEET TAB > Gemini > Shore Excursions > Click on port of call.

(these are confusing labelled as individual cruises !!! Viz: Laem Chebang cruise !)

* for VIRGO, LIBRA, AQUARIUS same procedure but select the ship you want.

Some feedback on tours on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg :

* Koh Samui - Elephant riding day trip lunch and round trip was great.

* Laem Chebang - We found Pataya bit touristy and were stuck there for hours in the heat waiting the return shuttle bus. Others went up to Bangkok and those that went on the Bangkok highlights said it was excellent .(as distinct from Bangkok shopping tour.)

* Ho Chi Minh City - on the Friday arvo we did the pedi-cab and Saturday City highlights both excellent.

* Da Nang - The day round trip to HUE was the standout tour of our trip in 2007, great tour countryside, french architecture, imperial capital, lunch included.

* Hong Kong - explore this exciting city yourself . Public transport in Star Ferry, Buses, and MTR railway are easy to use. Gemini berths at Ocean Terminal right in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon . World class shopping at your feet . Exit Ocean Terminal turn right and take Star Ferry to HK Island . Bus connections on HK island to Stanley Market . For Victoria Peak from ferry terminal on HK Island take taxi to base station of Peak Tram . Taxis cheap in HK compared to Aus.

Self Explorers - Both Laem Chebang and Da Nang berths are way out of town in basically Container terminals. Taxis difficult to get and way out of town too far to walk . Koh Samui - just walk to end of wharf and you are in the tourist action . Ho Chi Minh City - Gemini's transit up the Saigon River is a highlight, watch how she corners like a speed boat in slow motion. Berths at foot of CBD, taxis at gate.

All ports on the first leg are wharf stops except Koh Samui which is a tender port . Approx 20 minute trip in the tender boats to wharf . Hope this helps .

Ging 466 sorry lost your e-mail message on receipt pls re-send.

On the Hong Kong - Singapore leg Captains Gala Dinner will be on the Sunday night . Last year on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg the dinner was on the

Thursday night .

Ging 466 sorry lost your e-mail message on receipt pls re-send.

Hi Kuldalai

I got an error on your email address.

----- Transcript of session follows -----

mail.local: unknown name: kuldalai

550 <kuldalai@pipeline.com.au>... User unknown

Should I re-send?

Cheers

Ging466

On the Hong Kong - Singapore leg Captains Gala Dinner will be on the Sunday night . Last year on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg the dinner was on the Thursday night .

Is the Captain's Gala Dinner a formal affair? What do most people wear to this? Is it compulsory to attend or can you eat at the buffet instead?

Also, what time does boarding start in Hong Kong on the Wednesday? Can you board and then get off the ship, do a bit of shopping at the Ocean Terminal and then get back on again before departing?

I'm arriving in Hong Kong on the Monday evening, staying at the Sheraton Kowloon and then staying at the Empire Hotel Kowloon on the Tuesday night.

I was thinking about doing the Ngong Ping Tung Chung Cable Car on Lantau Island. Is anyone interested in going?

Lastly, which currency is best? It's been a long time since I was in Hong Kong and wondered if Aussie Dollars were ok to take - also are they ok in Vietnam?

Cheers

Ging466

Is the Captain's Gala Dinner a formal affair? What do most people wear to this? Is it compulsory to attend or can you eat at the buffet instead?

No not really . Just come in dress/skirt , nice blouse . It is not compulsory to attend, and you could eat at Marriners Buffet but you might be a bit lonely. The Captains Gala Dinner on the 11 night HK to Singapore cruise is on the Sunday night . Star do something extra special as a surprise on the Dinner nights which is quite something . Its a tradition in cruising and unless you are very anti social , a night not to be missed .

Also, what time does boarding start in Hong Kong on the Wednesday? Can you board and then get off the ship, do a bit of shopping at the Ocean Terminal and then get back on again before departing?

For the above mentioned cruise boarding is shown as commencing from 1300. Coming from the Star Ferry along the harbourside walkway towards the escalators/stairs leading up to the Ocean Terminal shopping centre, look for the STAR CRUISES lugggage check-in at ground level just on the left of the escalators. Once you are checked in its like the Airport you are on the ship and officially out of the country (Immigration wise), you cannot go back . So get all your shopping done before you come to the boat . Check in closes 1900 but suggest you be there by 1830 to be safe . Once on board you can have your evening meal in either of the inclusive restaurants even though boat does not sail to 2100.

I'm arriving in Hong Kong on the Monday evening, staying at the Sheraton Kowloon and then staying at the Empire Hotel Kowloon on the Tuesday night.

I was thinking about doing the Ngong Ping Tung Chung Cable Car on Lantau Island. Is anyone interested in going?

If you have not already done it also be sure to do the Victoria Peak tram on HK Island . Take Star Ferry from Kowloon (on LHS) beside Ocean Terminal to HK Island. Then taxi to base station Peak Tram. Most spectacular views over HK harbour especially at Sunset.

Lastly, which currency is best? It's been a long time since I was in Hong Kong and wondered if Aussie Dollars were ok to take - also are they ok in Vietnam?

In Hong Kong they will take anything !!!! The business of HK is about Commerce and making money . US and Australian $ widely accepted. Money Changers jammed in every nook and cranny that is rentable space if you need to change money or cash travellers cheques.

In Vietnam some will take Australian $ , but the US $ is the currency of choice for tourists there . The loose change they will give you in Vietnamese Dong . Just take some US $ don't bother with Vietnamese currency for Vietnam . Aussies dollars are fine in HK and Singapore and Malaysia .

Always a good idea when travelling Overseas to get from your bank in Aus a $ 100 Aus or so value of the currency of the country you first land in . That way you have instant local money for coffees, phones, taxis etc on arrival.

Hi Kuldalai,

Your responses are great.

However can I get away without a coat at the Captains dinner and just have a collar and tie or sports shirt.

Have always taken a jacket on our cruises but luggage restrictions are becoming a real pain in the butt.

Re Vietnam currency,

We were there last year, just take Aussie Dollar and money changers everywhere on the streets. 100 bucks Aussie makes you a millionaire in Vietnamese Dong.

There is no specific requirement for men to wear a coat . My advice is to wear a shirt with collar and tie and sports trousers would be fine. Viz: Very smart casual with tie. Only thing is that the a/c in the public areas is cool for the hot climate outside, so some may feel it a bit cool at night without a jacket . Note Gents dinner dress otherwise requires collared shirt at all other nights , sporst shirts OK open necked . No T-shirts, knitted shirts etc at no shorts, open toed footwear at dinner .

Yes I got $ 3 Aus value change in Vietnamese Dong and it was like Italian lire, I was an instant millionaire till I attempted to change it into another currency .

All, as a precaution in these parts good idea to take a good Deet Mossie Repellant, like "Bushmans" in a small bright green tube found at Aussie Pharmacies / Priceline etc. Especially when going on the excursions into the countryside in Asian countries, keeps the insects at bay .

Anyone with us on this cruise? This will be our fourth time on Gemini and sadly our last (although who knows what will happen with Star :rolleyes: ) so here's hoping for a great trip. To those who have done this route, any tips for KK and Kuching, the excursions dont look too exciting...

Just wanted to let you all know how we felt about our cruise on the Gemini...... we loved it!!!! We tried to see if there was anything we could fault and we just couldn't! As mentioned on here by various people... the staff onboard were fantastic, always a smile and a hello and if you took the time to get to know them... often a joke too. I only came across one person on the whole ship who wasn't rude to me but simply would not look at me, smile at me or talk to me and she was a young girl in the gym/health club who gave me a reflexology after my massage.

The food really was impressive. I have eaten in good restaurants all over the world and eat out at least twice a week and I have to say the quality of the food was great... it exceeded my expectations of "cruise buffet food". It was much better than P&O and that was nothing to moan at either. Even the steak at breakfast was cooked beautifully and never tough.... we wondered how so many individual dishes could be cooked to such a standard! As for the Mariner's buffet.... I am a bit of a germ-phobic and have a thing about buffets but this was lovely. So much variety, continually being replaced and always fresh and TASTY!

We were supposed to be on deck 4 inside cabin but when we boarded they had upgraded us to an inside cabin on deck 6 which was great. The room was just fine and seemed bigger than the P&O cabins we had been in before.

We only did 2 excursions as we like to do our own thing a lot but I can highly recommend the elephant riding in Phuket. I volounteered to have the massage by the baby elephant so had to lie down while it "massaged" me with it's foot then kissed me with it's slimy little trunk! We thoroughly enjoyed our half hour lumber through the forest and it is something we will always remember. I did go to the monkey show which was only short but, as others have mentioned... I did find it a bit depressing and demeaning to the poor monkey and was just about to walk out as I felt uncomfortable with the whole set up when it finished anyway.

To all those worrying about dressing up for dinner... especially the Captain's Dinner..... don't worry about it. Smart casual was the norm. My husband only ever wore open necked shortsleeved shirts and casual pants/jeans.

Gotta go and unpack now... boo hoo! If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask though there are so many dedicated, knowledgeable and helpful people on here they will probably beat me to it!:p

We enquired about paying for an upgrade... just wanted a cabin with a porthole but were told they were practically at full capacity and they could only offer us a balcony suite which would be a MERE $1,800 PER PERSON!!! I found this a little hard to swallow, especially when we were told by many of the staff that there were only approx 650 onboard. Not sure what their story was there but we were very happy in our little windowless cabin anyway!:eek:

I have a feeling that the Fitness centres on both Gemini and Virgo are franchised operations, not actually run by Star .

Gemini has a total lower berth capacity of 800 so if there was 650 on board it is possible that the un-occupied cabins were all inside cabins (75 cabins) .

Also it is possible that by consolidating the 650 pax onto the upper and mid decks, then the lower deck 3 may be able to run MT saving on staffing costs, or making better use of the ships crew on staffed decks .

Glad you had a great cruise and that you found Gemini the wonderful travel experience most of us have .

Got my malaria medication today (doxylin).

Something for us all to think about - whilst taking this medication you need to be very careful when going out into the sun....the medication can cause your skin to be much more sensitive to sunlight and severe sunburn,

but worst of all....NO ALCOHOL:eek:

Shock, horror!

Cheers

Ging466

Hi Guys,

We are counting down the days til our Gemini trip and cant wait. But I have a question for some of you knowledgable people. We went down to Fremantle tonight to see the Sun Princess and we couldnt get in to the terminal to see it. :eek: There was security everywhere and the ship arrived in late as well. We were told it was a new federal law that it was passengers only past the gate.:confused: But I dont know anything about laws being changed.

We have been to the terminal before to see the Gemini and got right up to the platform with no problems.:(

Does anyone know anything about why we cant get up close to see any more?

Thanks

Since 2001 things have been tightened up very much re access to all wharves whether passenger or freight . Ports Authorities generally now apply a policy of only pax actually travelling are allowed beyond the wharf gate. This certainly applies at Station Pier in Melbourne as soon as a cruise boat (s) are in port . Unfortunately a sad fact of the world we live in . When I was a "billylid" in the 1950's we used to be allowed on all the P & O boats at Station Pier to farewell pax taking off on the 21 day big trip to England. It was good publicity for P & O, and there were humungus sendoffs with each departure that kept the paper streamer industry in business and stained the bay with all sorts of colours. The arrival of the Jumbo jet in 1969 (nearly 40 years ago)put an end to all of those sea trips (point to point) within 6 months . At the height two or three shipping lines were running virtually daily services each way Melbourne / Southampton - all now but memories.