Superstar Gemini

mummsie

There are no Web cameras on Star ships that I am aware of . Certainly no Cruise Line would have a web cam in a cabin as that would would be a gross infringement of privacy . Some NCL ships have a bow Web cam that is accessible 24/7 via the Internet .

In the case of Superstar Gemini there is a fixed closed circuit TV Camera facing forward over the bow. This image can be viewed in any Stateroom on board by dialling up the requisite Channel on the TV Remote Cpntrol. This bow image is not to my knowledge available externally to Gemini via the Internet .

Separately all Star ships as part of their first class Safety & Security systems have closed circuit TV Cameras throughout all public areas of the ship and externally which are monitored for any misbehaviour / incidents etc .

Thank You for your answer......I am not up on technology or the terms. :o It must be the the bow camera that I read about. Would this mean that if you have this on your TV, that you would be able to see if it is day or night outside from an inside cabin?

Mary.:)

Yes, from an Inside Cabin . If you see daylight it is day, if you see black with an odd bit of white spray it will be night . You see whatever is going on outside 24/7 live.

Thanks again for your help:) You are a wealth of information and I appreciate you taking the time to share it with a first time cruiser.

Can you answer another question for me please. Have you done the bus trip from Halong Bay to Hanoi? I need to know if the bus would be comfortable for my 85 year old Mum. She would really like to go to Hanoi, but is worried about her comfort ( hip not good) for 3 - 4 hrs each way on a bus? She is hoping it might be a coach?:confused:

Kind Regards.

No have not been on that actual tour but will be doing it in June this year, when we do the Hong Kong - Singapore leg of the round trip.

BUT have been on the Star tours on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg last year and the full day tour from Da Nang to HUE is a similar length trip. The vehicles provided for all the tours were luxury coaches with full air-conditioning and quite comfortable . They were distinctly coaches not route type buses one finds on town/city route bus services.

So take some bottled water and you should have a comfortable day trip. The temperature is typically 28 - 30 Celsius (outside) locally with high to very high humidity. Provide you move slowly you adjust to the high humidity pretty quickly. You will have some walking on all tours between coach parks and the sights etc .

We sail this Sunday (YAY) from Singapore on the Gemini so I am now on the countdown and trying to answer all my little niggling questions. My husband works in a shirt and tie all week so is looking forward to just going casual on the cruise. I realise he can't wear shorts and sandals to dinner but would neat/dressy jeans be okay or is that still a definite NO NO?

Also, I see that you can ask your cabin steward for an adaptor if you need one. Silly question but will the heat/strength still be good enough for a GHD as I know sometimes it can be a bit weak.

Thanks.

We sail this Sunday (YAY) from Singapore on the Gemini so I am now on the countdown and trying to answer all my little niggling questions. My husband works in a shirt and tie all week so is looking forward to just going casual on the cruise. I realise he can't wear shorts and sandals to dinner but would neat/dressy jeans be okay or is that still a definite NO NO?

Also, I see that you can ask your cabin steward for an adaptor if you need one. Silly question but will the heat/strength still be good enough for a GHD as I know sometimes it can be a bit weak.

Thanks.

Hi,

I used adapters for my GHD through Europe, UK and Ireland last year and didn't have a problem, Should be OK on the Gemini. Have a wonderful cruise.

Any answers on the jeans question as we only have a window of opportunity of one afternoon to go shopping before Saturday and get him some pants!

Also, I thought, from reading through here that dining was whenever you wished but our TA specifically asked us whether we wanted early 6.30 or late 8.30 dining? We did that on P&O so I know all about the set times but wasn't sure what the story was here.

Thanks again!

Also, I thought, from reading through here that dining was whenever you wished but our TA specifically asked us whether we wanted early 6.30 or late 8.30 dining? We did that on P&O so I know all about the set times but wasn't sure what the story was here.

Thanks again!

No set times on Starcruises - maybe your TA needs educating :rolleyes:

Smart casual is the go . No T-shirts tanks tops, shorts, beachwear, open toed footwear. Dress jeans would be OK but scruffy ones I would leave at home .

Gents at dinner shirts with collar, open neck sports shirts OK.

Captains Gala Dinner, sports trousers, open neck shirt, and sports jacket is fine. Wear a tie if you want to .

Dining on all Star boats is "freestyle" , just turn up when you want within the advertised hours of opening as advertised in "Star Navigator" newsheet delivered to your Stateroom daily . Only exception they will call for reservations for Captains Gala Dinner and give you a number to call .

PS: Get yourself a NEW Travel agent .

By the way thanks for all your answers re: my previous post :D .

Next question is........ I've read conflicting reports on here re: upgrades on the ship. Some say it is a lot cheaper to pay for an upgrade once you get on the ship, others say it is way more expensive than if you had originally booked through your TA. Does anyone have any recent first hand experience? Is there a bit of a rush to see about an upgrade and do you just go to the Purser's Office? Sorry for all the questions but I have been the main organizer for this holiday for hubby and I, brother and sister and 2 friends so sort of feel a bit responsible for getting all the info right and making it a good holiday for them all!

My experience has been that there has not been much difference pricewise whether one upgrades with TA at last minute, or on boarding ship.

Star generally will not discount the cabins at the last minute as that would get other people off side who paid higher rates when booked way in advance.

Just go to Reception on Deck 5 on boarding and enquire what is available in terms of an upgrade and at what price . They will let you know what is available and then you can inspect the cabins on offer and make your decision.

Join up at same time for Star Cruiser Card (also at Reception ) for free. Then you get brownie points for the value of your cabin, and for all food & beverage purchases on board . When you settle your on board account at end of cruise redeem the brownie points and it will usually save you $ 100 - $ 200 off the account .

What type of cabin are you booked in now and on what deck etc ? What cabin potentially do you want to upgrade to ?

Thanks for the tip on the Star Cruiser Card - seems almost unheard of... something for nothing! We are in an inside cabin on Deck 4 and it really doesn't bother me at all as we always cruise the cheapest way as I figure that gives me more spending money for shopping and cocktails. I just thought if they were going cheap I might nab one with a porthole but really isn't a big deal. Thanks for the answer on the jeans for dinner thing. I relayed this to my husband and he is happy as he insists on wanting to go casual (but neat) and this means him taking his jeans! I know he wore them on our P&O cruise with no problems and a lot of people got quite dressed up for dinner there.

We're staying at the Shangri-La in Singapore for 3 nights afterwards in their Horizon Club level. Does anyone have any firsthand reviews on it? I know it supposed to be really nice but on Tripadvisor you always read about someone who has had bad experiences.

An inside cabin on deck 4 is Cabin type DB. An exterior with porthole on Deck 7 is Category CC , On Deck 3 is CD, and on Deck 2 CE .

Subject to availability - as a rough guide in Aus $ your upgrade price per person on the 7 days Straights of Malacca cruise should be to upgrade from your current DB to CE $ 220, to CD $ 480, or to CC $ 640 . So probably worth enquiring if any CE cabins are available on Deck 2 .

$ 30 extra per person per day is probably worth the extra for a porthole cabin. Worth enquiring you may well get cheaper on board - depends on the phase of the moon !!!!

Have a great cruise - and soak up the Gemini Magic whilst you can .

Fellow CC Posters Big Al & Helga you are 30 days away from departure from Singapore on SS GEMINI, and myself Kuldalai and Ging 466 are 40 days away from boarding the same cruise in Hong Kong . Looking fwd to hopefully getting together and meeting Helga and Ging 466 at the Gemini Bar during the Hong Kong - Singapore leg .

Tip after making your final holiday payment if your Travel Agent asks you to register your passenger details on line with Star this is how its done. Go to Star webside (http://www.starcruises.com) home page . Scroll down the left hand side and look for a reddish tab "Guest Registration". To get in you need your Star Reservation number which your TA should/ can get for you . Once you complete the on-line registration then Star will issue your documentation via your TA etc .

Hi there Kuldalai

Thankx for the info about the guest registration, I discovered that my TA had filled most of it out anyway!

I'm a solo traveller so am happy to meet you all as soon as possible.

On my recent NCL cruise, we all met in the library 30 mins after the lifeboat drill and had a great time getting to know each other.

Seeing that you know the ship so well perhaps you can suggest a time and place?

Look forward to meeting everyone on board in June.

Cheers

Ging466

Tip after making your final holiday payment if your Travel Agent asks you to register your passenger details on line with Star this is how its done. Go to Star webside (www.starcruises.com) home page . Scroll down the left hand side and look for a reddish tab "Guest Registration". To get in you need your Star Reservation number which your TA should/ can get for you . Once you complete the on-line registration then Star will issue your documentation via your TA etc .

I know it is required to be completed, but just be aware that this registration is not via an encrypted link, i.e. you are supplying sensitive info (like passport nos._ over a non-secure link (i.e. there is no little padlock at the bottom of your screen).

I strongly feel that Starcruises needs to address this issue. The same applies if you want to avail yourself of the now available on-line booking facility - your credit card details would go through an unsecure link :eek: :eek:

Big Al and Helga are doing the Singapore - Hong Kong leg departing Singapore on 01/06; and Kuldalai, Helga and Ging 466 are doing the Hong Kong - Singapore leg departing Hong Kong 11/06/08 .

The first night ex Hong Kong is pretty hectic with getting settled in, lifeboat drill, a very spectacular nightime departure with laser light show on both sides of the harbour with a 9pm departure . So suggest better to meet in the Gemini Bar the next night Thursday 12/06 at 6pm . The Thursday is a full day at sea. Also that way we all have the added fun of trying to guess who is who at the Zoo for 24 hours ! On the Thursday night I will wear a black casual jacket over a red/black Thai silk shirt .

Big Al sorry won't get to meet you unless we pass unknowlingly on the wharf in HK .

No have not been on that actual tour but will be doing it in June this year, when we do the Hong Kong - Singapore leg of the round trip.

BUT have been on the Star tours on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg last year and the full day tour from Da Nang to HUE is a similar length trip. The vehicles provided for all the tours were luxury coaches with full air-conditioning and quite comfortable . They were distinctly coaches not route type buses one finds on town/city route bus services.

So take some bottled water and you should have a comfortable day trip. The temperature is typically 28 - 30 Celsius (outside) locally with high to very high humidity. Provide you move slowly you adjust to the high humidity pretty quickly. You will have some walking on all tours between coach parks and the sights etc .

Hi,:)

Thanks for all your help Kuldalai. My Mum is thrilled to think she will be able to do some of the side trips, now she knows that they will be by air-conditioned coach.

Coming from a dry climate in NSW, I am dreading the humidity :eek:, but as you say lots of bottled water. I swore the last time we holidayed in Noosa, that I would never do it again, in a place with high humidity!

My friends that I'm traveling with have been on the Gemini 7 times, the last for Xmas '99. They haven't been on it since it was refurbished, and because they travel twice a year to Europe and Asia their memories of the Gemini are a bit vague. They know China really well though, and we are off to Shenzhen for a full day of serious shopping before we board the Gemini. :D

Hi all :D , my travel agent has issued me with travel documents ie. itinerary, air tickets etc but there is nothing at all from Star Cruises. Is this normal? When I did my P&O cruises you get a little wallet with info about all the shore excursions plus bag labels with your deck number and cabin number etc.

We have registered online as well so have all bases covered. I guess we just turn up on the day with our passports!

Will post a review when we get back!

All the best CQ for a terrific cruise. We are looking forward to a detailed cruise review as we haven't been on the Gemini since about 2001 or with Star since 2003. We are in need of a review fix.

Don't forget to let us know what the menu's, room amenities etc., are like.

Happy travels

Well I'm all ironed, packed and ready.... have never been so organised in my life! That was the easy part...... writing lots of lists for Nana who is looking after the 4 kids, 1 dog, 2 cats and 2 guinea-pigs was the hard part!

I shall try and remember every little detail that I think might be interesting and definitely relay it all on my return.

Thanks for all the answers to my question and well wishes for a good holiday.... I am sure it will be!:cool:

You usually do not get tickets etc as such rather an a-4 printed page sort of like an Itinerary detailing the Cruise etc . Suggest you double check with your TA that you have the necessary piece of paper that will get you on board . If you have registered on line using the booking # the TA gave you, then you are in the Star system and obviously you have a cabin and will not be sleeping outside on the deck as I did once on some dreadful Greek ferry service running between Brindisi (Italy) and Greece. That was 30 years ago as a young backpacker doing the Europe thing for the first time. Not for me today !

The first night ex Hong Kong is pretty hectic with getting settled in, lifeboat drill, a very spectacular nightime departure with laser light show on both sides of the harbour with a 9pm departure . So suggest better to meet in the Gemini Bar the next night Thursday 12/06 at 6pm . The Thursday is a full day at sea. Also that way we all have the added fun of trying to guess who is who at the Zoo for 24 hours ! On the Thursday night I will wear a black casual jacket over a red/black Thai silk shirt .

Hi there

Look forward to meeting you in the Gemini Bar on Thursday 12 June at 6pm.

Cheers

Ging466 aka Jennifer

ive got 9 more working days befor our hols, monday a bank hol in the uk.but got a few more days befor start our gemini cruise thou. was only going to to the star organised trip round halong bay,but now after reading maves question to the hanoi trip and reading the answers will do that one as well.so might se you on the coach mave to say gud day

Hi there

Look forward to meeting you in the Gemini Bar on Thursday 12 June at 6pm.

Cheers

Ging466 aka Jennifer

Really looking forward to meeting both of you in the Gemini Bar at 6pm 12/6/8.

We are 2 of the larger kind of the species,but quite approachable; female of the species has a grey covering called hair on her head but more than the male !!!

We have just received our travel docus,with our cabin number,pick up details etc.

cheers helga:)