Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Yep, same wren. Yours is prettier, so I changed the avatar to the sphinx photo after our wonderful med cruise on Norwegian Jewel.

Have to work on the signature though - I thought I had past cruises on there but they've gone :confused: Obviously need another cruise!

Departed Sydney Wed 30/01 very few pax up to Brisbane, then mob joined and we have like 250 now. Brisbane best bet is do it yourself just catch Citycat ferry from Bretts Wharf which is 700m upstream from Cruise Terminal. Whitsundays was tender port into Whitsunday Island. Then took day tour to Whitehaven Beach which was sensational included BBQ lunch on board second cat ferry . Cairns went on tour to Kuranda which was bus up and historic train back down through jungled ranges, very rugged and spectacular. Now at sea en route to Milne Bay Papua / New Guinea.

As for the vessel and crew well just sensational and the service with only 250 pax is un-believable.

Joining in Sydney and then en-route it is incredible how the crew remember your face from past cruise and welcome you like an old family friend. Seas have been like very smooth, and this morning it is just a mirror barely a ripple.

Ging 466 yes there is a dinner and intro for singles, it is listed in Star Navigator and you register at reception and it goes from there.

The word on board is expect big announcement re fleet expansion late February and the hot tip is two (2) vessels to Asia .

Till next time .

As for the vessel and crew well just sensational and the service with only 250 pax is un-believable.

Joining in Sydney and then en-route it is incredible how the crew remember your face from past cruise and welcome you like an old family friend. Seas have been like very smooth, and this morning it is just a mirror barely a ripple.

Ging 466 yes there is a dinner and intro for singles, it is listed in Star Navigator and you register at reception and it goes from there.

The word on board is expect big announcement re fleet expansion late February and the hot tip is two (2) vessels to Asia .

Till next time .

Thanks for the update on your trip, Kuldalai. Hope you continue to enjoy.

I have an idea how it feels with very few passengers - in 2003 to Ho Chi Minh / Kota Kinabalu we had less than 600 pax on Virgo (SARS had just started then) and approx. 1100 crew :). Yes, the crew have a phenomenal ability to remember people from previous cruises, we felt that on Virgo every time.

Waiting with baited breath for the big fleet expansion announcement ...

Hehe, I've said there was something going on even though I don't know the exact details. Electricron from NCL board might want to see this.

Whispers of a quiet conversation.

Hi ssv - haven't heard from you in a while ... do you recognize the captain in the photo that jansim posted (post #1274) - from Gemini 11 years ago? (thought he may have ended up on Virgo or Leo later-on)

Before seeing the photo I thought it may have been Captain Hakan (what with the timing on Gemini) but of course it's not - must have been his counterpart at the time.

Hi, I don't recognise him from the ships I've been on. If he is still with SC then I'll guess Pisces or the Megastar series.

Leo's Captain(first rotation - one year) - Capt Magnus Gottberg and Capt. Toivo Norell if I'm not mistaken.

Virgo's Captain(first rotation - three years IIRC) - Capt. Hakan Svedung and Capt. Toivo Norell.

I was in HK and surrounding for 2 weeks this month; on Virgo for 5 days; other time busy running around Singapore.

Hi, I don't recognise him from the ships I've been on. If he is still with SC then I'll guess Pisces or the Megastar series.

Leo's Captain(first rotation - one year) - Capt Magnus Gottberg and Capt. Toivo Norell if I'm not mistaken.

Virgo's Captain(first rotation - three years IIRC) - Capt. Hakan Svedung and Capt. Toivo Norell.

I was in HK and surrounding for 2 weeks this month; on Virgo for 5 days; other time busy running around Singapore.

I was under the impression that Capt. Hakan Svedung also was on the Leo when it was new (after previously being on Gemini), then brought out the new Virgo in 1999 (where he was until 2006). :confused:

No, that is not Capt Holm in the photo. I thought the name might ring a bell to those who have asked and responded to the original question.

Give me a few minutes to go through my files and I will post a photo of Capt. Holm.

Mike

Mike, believing that Capt Hakan Svedung was on the Gemini before taking over Leo in 1998, I asked for the photo and found it was not him (and just thought as a sideline that the one in the photo may still be around somewhere ...)

Hi boeckli---I have been sailing with Star since their inception.

Star Pisces from Hong Kong and then Taiwan's first ship, the Star Aquarius.

Of course I have also sailed from other ports including Singapore, Thailand, China and Korea. Actually I believe I have sailed aboard every ship they have had and have now.

I can't seem to place Captain Svedung. Must be getting old:D

Mike

Mike - Capt. Hakan Svedung took charge of the Virgo for ~5 years before heading over to NCL, about the same time as Colin did. He's currently master of the Dawn I believe. I remember having a picture taken with him but have no idea where it is now.

Hi All,

Sorry for keeping you in the dark about the name of the captain on Superstar Gemini in 1997, :confused: I have not logged on for a couple of days.

However, logged on just now and have found several answers as to who the captain might be but none of them are right:(

His name was Captain Paul Van Knorring:)

Cheers!

Janet

image0.jpg.ab5e29788d0be98d7aa9888122984fbc.jpg

Mike - Capt. Hakan Svedung took charge of the Virgo for ~5 years before heading over to NCL, about the same time as Colin did. He's currently master of the Dawn I believe. I remember having a picture taken with him but have no idea where it is now.

I'll post a photo a bit later, after breakfast ;)

Hi All,

Sorry for keeping you in the dark about the name of the captain on Superstar Gemini in 1997, :confused: I have not logged on for a couple of days.

However, logged on just now and have found several answers as to who the captain might be but none of them are right:(

His name was Captain Paul Van Knorring:)

Cheers!

Janet

Looks like he is now captain of the Norwegian Sun

Hakan.jpg This is our good friend, Captain Hakan Svedung. He was captain of Virgo from inception until Jun 2006 (we sailed with him 5 times) and is now master of the Norwegian Dawn, where we 'visited' him late last year :D.

Colin already went to NCL in 2004 with the Leo, then was on the Dawn for a while.

Hi Boeckli - the photo is the reminder - we had dinner with him one night!

Hi everyone - we're enjoying Sun Princess - supposed to be on a scenic cruise of Wineglass Bay Tasmania today but woke up to the sound of the foghorn - it's been cloudy all day, saw one seal and six dolphin. Port Arthur and Hobart were interesting.

Vera