Photo QM2 - Back out to Sea from Port Everglades 0630 Hrs.

Minne Wonka Girl

Thanks for keeping us so up to date; really appreciate the photos. But as a photographer I have to recommend that you play around with different exposures. In limited light the automatic setting will keep your shutter open longer resulting in the blurred images which reflect the movement.

With all those lights ablaze, using a manual setting, or just disabling the flash, you may have been able to get a somewhat sharper exposure, around 1/60 or even 1/125.

Howard,

Thanks for the photography tips. I was enjoying a cup of coffee and morning newspaper when her bow appeared in the corner of my eye. She was moving so fast that I didn't have time to adjust any settings. Thanks, again.

Caroline

You can also brace the camera on your balcony railing. That helps during long exposures and will help eliminate the blurry images.;)

I loved the photo the way it is, also! ;)

signman - I learned your trick about keeping the flash off, however it doesn't work all the time - especially for ships that are in a distance. What other settings could we try to get that shot? I have all these settings on my Sony Cyber Shot DS72, but haven't tried them.

Another tip: I try to always have my flash on during daylight, when taking closeups of subjects. Makes the subject crisp and clear. :D

The biggest problems I have with a digital camera are HOW to turn off the flash and the lag time taking the shot. You just don't know when it is going to go off! I am 51 and without my glasses I can't see all those little icons, much less remember which buttons to push in which sequence to turn the flash off. You have to hit one thing (of a round rocker button) for settings, then figure out how to get to the setting for flash, which looks a lot like the little icon for something else! then chose it, after figuring out which one turns it off, before it times out! Then aim the camera and shoot! By then, the ship would have been halfway to her next port, for me!

Marc did some marvelous time exposures on deck at night. We gave several shots to the Commodore and his wife, Kim. The Commodore got Kim a nice new digital camera for Christmas, and Marc actually ended up getting together with her to try to figure out how to do night photography without flash. She didn't have the book on hand, and neither of them could figure out how to turn off the flash! He's pretty experienced at this stuff, used to have his own dark room, and is a real gadget geek. Without the book, neither of them could figure it out! They even thought it may not HAVE such a setting!

Karie,

technical, but decidedly less so than many!

The effect on the picture is caused by movement of the camera during the exposure. You can minimise this to some extent if your camera has manual settings. Try to aim for a wide aperture setting (the smallest number is the widest) and the slowest shutter speed you can set above 1/30th which is generally regarded as the slowest you can reliably set to hand hold. And of course read the instruction book!

I am not bothered as I think the picture does what it was intended to do. Thanks to Minne Wonka Girl.

David.

One quick tip about shooting a moving object, shoot it head on or from the rear. The movement will be much less pronounced than if shot from the side. My comments were not meant as criticism, I really appreciate the effort involved to post these photos here for us.

Caroline, When I retire and move to Florida, I want to live where you live. Luckily I have seen QM2 sail from PE twice already.

Archived