Dixie Crossroads

COCKYMARK

living off its reputation IMO .. not bad but not special either.

when they opened in the 80's they could claim 'local fresh seafood' and back then a lot of seafood WAS landed at Port Canaveral and what is now the restaurant row was fish houses where boats came in.  I worked from the port 86 - 89 and watched the boats everyday.

Today?  No significant fishing industry in Port Canaveral. Web page still says " The menu features the very best local shrimp and fish from Port Canaveral,"

p.s. not on the water if you missed that.  Given the fish is mostly frozen I go to Grills where at least you get a view.  But if staying up by Dixie .... like I said, not BAD.

like I said, if staying that far north go to dixie .... it ain't bad it just ain't what I'd call 'great seafood' .... I don't go out of my way to go there as I think the food at Grills is better and you get the 'entertainment' of the port view espcly at sailaway.

Up Titus way I'd head to http://www.shilohssteakandseafood.com/ 

Shiloh’s Steak and Seafood is located on the shores of the Indian River Lagoon. With a direct view of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center we offer the ideal setting for water front dining.

• 3 weeks later...

We just cruised out of Port Canaveral last month. We stayed in Cocoa Beach with an extra day before our cruise. We LOVE rock shrimp and heard that Dixie Crossroads was the place to get them.  We got there when they opened for lunch on a Friday.  Not crowded then, but was filling in when we left.  The food was okay.  I enjoyed the  broiled rock shrimp. They split them open for you so it is much easier to eat them.  The other items we got were okay and my top shelf margarita was nothing special.  I've had better tasting seafood.  You go there for the rock shrimp.  The place seemed a bit run down. Past it's prime.  The best tasting rock shrimp I've had was at The Whale's Rib outside of Fort Lauderdale. It was hot and steamed with Old Bay seasoning. It was AMAZING!  I would travel 100 miles to get that again!  We cruise out of Port Canaveral fairly often and I don't know that we will return to Dixie Crossroad.

As far as Grills is concerned, we LOVE the seafood there. Their bacon wrapped scallops were the best ever!  Everyone raved about their seafood options.  I WILL definitely return to Grills. 

Hope this helps!