Aboard QM2 (Photo)

ricker

Currently enroute to Rio. St Kitts, Barbados and Salvador scrubbed. This picture is the first blade pulled off the pod.

THANX GREAT PHOTO!!!tHE dark markings on the blade looks like black tar could they have hit a submerged piling??? any ideas >????

Thank you for the shot, amazes me how they can remove such

a thing while the ship is in water at the port. So it's non-stop

to RIO? how is the mood on board? do they expect QM2 to keep

her regular schedule after RIO once she 'catches up' lost time?

Those I have talked to are still great fans of the ship and the Commodore. Most seem reconciled with the events and are still enjoying the cruise; with a luck the rest of the cruise will not deviated too greatly.

Rick

As I understand it the QM2 was delayed in Florida by approx 25 to 30 hours.

If you add up the 'port' time for the three missed stops - St.Kitts ( 10 hrs )

Barbados ( 10 hrs ) and Salvador ( 6 hrs ) that totals 26 hours. This would

of course not include the time accrued entering and exiting the port.

According to reports on this board she is travelling more or less around

her average speed. By the time the ship arrives in RIO she would have

just about made up for all lost time. Perhaps they may shortly shorten

the stay in RIO or, on the next segment RIO-L.A., shorten the stay in

Montevideo by just a few hours as she is in port there overnight scheduled

for 26 hours. This would put her into L.A. right on time ( providing no other

set-backs ).

Bob.

I'm confused!

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that's the back of the blade that we see in the photo. I would have expected those scuff marks to be on the front if the pod wasn't in use when the ship hit side.

It also appears to be from one of the starboard pods! compare it with this photo http://members.cox.net/veqa73a/AllDaPods.jpg

Or has one of the photos been reversed?

Confused, Colin.

Hey, Ricker,

If you could, while on board, we are looking to get the last names of two people on board. One is Paul, the bartender in the Commodore Club (and tell Jennifer hi when you go up there late nights. She'll be reading a book on the last seat at the bar)

The other is Steve, a young lad from Manchester, England waiting tables at the Golden Lion Pub. If you can't find them, we have pictures! <G>

We meant to turn in White Star tickets for both of them, but you need the last names. With the last name, we will send their commendations to the home office! (we have the cards right here)

Thanks,

Karie Parker

Formerly in Cabin 8095

3 Jan 06

I'm confused!

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that's the back of the blade that we see in the photo. I would have expected those scuff marks to be on the front if the pod wasn't in use when the ship hit side.

It also appears to be from one of the starboard pods! compare it with this photo http://members.cox.net/veqa73a/AllDaPods.jpg

Or has one of the photos been reversed?

Confused, Colin.

the propulsion system pulls not push!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in other pods

the propulsion system pulls not push!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in other pods

Hi 2moose, Aware of that. And it can be seen in the second photo.

Spent quite some time coming to the conclusion that it doesn't alter anything. The aft face of the blade is still the aft face whether they're mounted on the front or back of the pod.

Regards, Colin.

The photo of the prop blade had not been reversed. I saw no other blades, but it was dark and around midnight when we finally sailed.

Karen,

I will see what I can find, and I'll post it to this thread if that's ok

Rick

The photo of the prop blade had not been reversed. I saw no other blades, but it was dark and around midnight when we finally sailed.

Karen,

I will see what I can find, and I'll post it to this thread if that's ok

Rick

Actually, it's Karie (close enuff, unless you're writing me a check!) and you're a doll! Posting here is perfect. I wish I could have them put a drink at each place on my tab for you! <G> Have a wonderful rest of the cruise!

Karie

The Commodore faced a hostile group of passengers in two informal sessions in the Royal Court Theater today. Mostly the UK passengers on the NY to Rio Segment were bitter about the “compensation” offered by Cunard which the Commodore had told them was non-negotiable. Many passengers suggested to others that they should boycott the profit centers on the ship (don’t drink, don’t shop, don’t gamble, don’t go to the spa, etc., and others suggested class actions and other legal remedies. Yet others, suggested free drinks, free tours, and free cruises. The Commodore handled the group very well, in a diplomatic fashion, offering the group a catharses through their venting. He assured the passengers that their feelings are being communicated to Cunard.

The ship’s speed has been as fast as 27K on the TV display, but the Commodore explained that it varies with the currents which will be less favorable as we pass from the Caribbean to the Atlantic, and therefore our itineraries will be affected on further segments. (Times in ports).

I wonder if Paul Wright feels lucky now, being on the Diamond???

Karie, the names you are looking for are: Paul Hamilton, and Steven Weller. Still have not met Jennifer. Steven now is in the Queen’s Grill Lounge and Terrace Bar, and Paul is still in the Commodore Lounge.

Rick J

The Commodore faced a hostile group of passengers in two informal sessions in the Royal Court Theater today... The Commodore handled the group very well, in a diplomatic fashion, offering the group a catharses through their venting.

Karie, the names you are looking for are: Paul Hamilton, and Steven Weller. Still have not met Jennifer. Steven now is in the Queen’s Grill Lounge and Terrace Bar, and Paul is still in the Commodore Lounge.

Rick J

Wow, Rick

You're fast! (or bored <G>) Thank you.

Jennifer is a passenger. She has been on the ship for 7 or 8 months. She just seems so sad, sometimes. She isn't easy to get friendly with, but I found it well worth the effort. Seeing her smile was a gift. I don't know her story- never asked. I figured she would tell me when or if she was ready. It doesn't matter. Knowing you brought a smiile and a small iota of happiness into someone's world where it otherwise might not have been is all I need to know! She seems too young to have so much sadness.

As for the Commodore, I feel sorry for him. He seems like such a nice and sincere person to me. He genuinely seems to feel bad about events. I swear he sounded almost in tears when he made the announcements on our cruise in regards to missing Costa Rica and not finding an alternate port. He seemed genuinely sorry. Those who are screaming and threatening to sue- I just don't understand that attitude. They are still getting a luxury cruise with a fabulous staff on a great ship. If they had relatives in those ports, or something they were really looking forward to, that is a shame, but it isn't his fault. He is making the best of the situation, IMHO. In a way, I feel sorry for those people, because they will probably never know real happiness in their lives. They will always find something to get themselves upset about, and work themselves into a frenzy, when realizing that there isn't much choice, and to make the best of it, and enjoy what they have is much better than working hard to assure themselves they will have a miserable time! I suppose if someone were seasick, or claustrophobic, or had some other strong need not to be at sea as long, it might be different. But for the vast majority, grinning and bearing it, and setting out on a new plan, albeit one not of their making, is the best choice. I find it hard to believe most of them would rather have gotten off of the ship than stayed on to enjoy the fabulous food, games, relaxation, warmth and sun, companionship, and all else the ship had to offer. Maybe the Commodore should think about offering a certificate to the spa for a deep-relaxation masssage for some of these people. Although it sunds like it would be a waste for some of them. They probably aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

Thanks for keeping us informed. It's like reading a serial novel!

Karie

Every night I went to the Commadore Club we saw that lady sitting at the end with a book - sometimes smoking.... What is her deal? Does she live on board?

For the time being she seems to be. She's been there either 7 or 8 months, (changing cabin occasionally, as the need arises). She is young (well, compared to me, anyway!) and as I said, I never found out what her story is. I think a few of the bartendders know, but they respect her privacy, as do I. I feel funny talking about her here even, but I would love it if others were to reach out to her. Just respect her privacy, but let her blossom in her own time. If I got signs that she really wanted to be left alone, I would have backed off, but I think once she found she could trust us, we had fun chatting and laughing. She really is a lot of fun, once you break through to her. She seems to not trust people easily. but you know me- the bull in the china shop. I wasn't about to let her sit there and not feel welcome. No one should look sad on a cruise ship. Whatever the reason. So Marc and I just decided to make sure she felt a part of our happiness and gaiety. She's very pretty, and quite smart. She taught us a few things about the ship model, and it was delightful, just sharing laughs with her.

If anyone is ever sitting up there staring at the model late at night, in their cups, or whatever, just pay attention to changes that happen on the ship. Heck, we were making up stories about the "people" on the ship!

Karie

Wow, Rick

You're fast! (or bored <G>) Thank you.

Jennifer is a passenger. She has been on the ship for 7 or 8 months. She just seems so sad, sometimes. She isn't easy to get friendly with, but I found it well worth the effort. Seeing her smile was a gift. I don't know her story- never asked. I figured she would tell me when or if she was ready. It doesn't matter. Knowing you brought a smiile and a small iota of happiness into someone's world where it otherwise might not have been is all I need to know! She seems too young to have so much sadness.

Karie

Should we be doing this. We know nothing of this girl and really should not be discussing her on these boards. What would/will she think if she knew. Done for the best of reasons but please drop it.

David.

Thanks for all the up to the minute details of yet another QM2 issue - Just when you think all will be well as she begins her 3rd season, this happens! I will be on the Feb 22 - 25 West Coast Break - I just hope this problem will not cause the cruise to be cancelled. I don't really understand why people complain so - I've been reading the boards all morning and it really bothers me - I travel a lot and you have to take the risk of things going wrong - and if they do, just make the best of it. I've had some disappointments in the past 20 years, but on the whole, the trip was by no means a total wash. My cousin, who will join me on this cruise, was scheduled to take a TA on QE2 the same week of 9/11 - needless to say it was cancelled. Yes she was disappointed, but Cunard gave them full credits for another cruise. She did it in 2003 and because she had already paid for the TA, she added a little more to it and did an 18 day Mediterannean instead! Have these people on board never had a flight cancelled, a tour excursion not available, ports changed at the last minute, hotels not up to par, bad weather your entire vacation, rental car break down....give me a break! Has anyone ever heard of trip insurance. I was on QM2 Jan 2005 to the Carribean - I really could have cared less about the ports - how many jewelry stores do you need to see! The ship is the event. On this particular cruise, the highlight will be Cape Horn and sailing into LA past the Queen Mary! Sorry I had to vent - enjoy your time on board - you have the right attitude.

[Q****=*r****-**-**]H*y, R**k*r,

** y** ****d, wh*** ** ***rd, w* *r* ***k*** ** *** *h* **s* **m*s ** *w* p**p** ** ***rd** *** *s P***, *h* **r***d*r ** *h* **mm*d*r* **** <*>

[/Q****]

**ps** D*d*'* r**d d*w* **r *****h ** s** *h** y** *** y**r r*sp**s***

H* w*s ***ds ** ***** * **** j*s* **k* **rm w**k*** **** *h**rs wh** * w***d w**k **** *32 **** ***h*s**

Archived