Tequila Tour

Stmar

We took a taxi/van around the island, wanted to see what the other side was like. On our tour we stopped at several places to look at the beach and have a drink at Coconuts, brother in law saw it on the internet and had to stop. Drinks were okay but expensive, what happened to cheap Mexico?? Driver suggested we stop at the Tequila distillery, nice looking place in the country. Did the tour and tasted the tequila, very good but it was so expensive, almost $200 for their best bottle. I didn't have my credit card and didn't carry that much cash, so was not really tempted. Probably a blessing in disguise, read several reviews once I got home and it seems they do a bait and switch, what you think you are buying is not what you get when you are home. It is packaged for travel so of course you don't get to taste "your bottle". Has anyone done this and what was your experience?

Edited by Stmar

You're speaking about Hacienda Antigua out on the transversal road, that sells it's own tequila brand Cava Antigua.

It's an interesting tour and you learn about tequila, but it isn't distilled there, has to come from Guadalajara (where the real Hacienda Antigua is, BTW). Back when the old guy ran the place (and for all I know still may), he was a hoot and the tour was fun.  But we didn't buy any, so I can't opine on any bait an switch.  Not sure if I'd spend $200 on any tequila.  You can buy some excellent sipping aged anejo blue agave tequilas for under $100 in the States.  And I think even Patron's Gran patron is just over $200 as is Casa Dragones.  Nothing in the Cava Antigua lineup would even come close to those two.