Discriminating Medallions & Designer Error.

nukesubsailor

My wife and I just finished 28 days aboard the Caribbean Princess.  We had the medallions and on the first couple of days they worked fine except in the bars.  The bar staff wanted to use the folio number found on cruise cards instead.  The day after we boarded, cruise cards were delivered to our cabin.  The first couple of days the medallions unlocked the cabin door while either one of us was several feet away.  After that, only the wife's medallion would unlock the door from that distance.  I had to get right next to the scanner device where the mail box used to be located.  The last few days aboard I had to physically hold the medallion against the target on the scanner device for several seconds before the door would unlock.  This made me suspect the medallion system discriminates against men----or at least against me.  If I was one of those young snow-flakes who actively search for things to be offended by, I would feel hurt and have to run to my safe-space on account of this perceived discrimination.

Now about an interior designer's error.  On the starboard side of the Lido deck is the Coffee and Cones ice cream venue.  The Princess interior designer who chose the table and chairs for this venue thought that cast iron chairs would be fit the image of an old-time ice cream parlor and I have to agree with that in the visual sense.  So all the tables next to the glass wall from the ice cream venue to the hamburger grill have these heavy metal chairs.  Our cabin, R-417 was right below the ice cream venue.  We soon learned that the noise of the metal chairs being scooted was deafening on our balcony as it would have to be in every other cabin balcony under the line of cast iron chairs.  I noticed that the chairs over the actual interior of these cabins were made of light weight material and did not make as much noise.    I submitted to the hotel manager the suggestion that when possible, the heavy chairs be replaced with the plastic or wicker chairs used elsewhere.  He was very nice and called to offer his apologies and explain that there was nothing he could do about the issue during the cruise.  Hopefully, they will replace those chairs when the ship enters dry dock this spring.  In the meantime, I would advise anyone not to book a Riviera deck balcony cabin on the starboard side in the range between R-325 to R-509.

While on the subject of noise, we ate one dinner in Sabatini's.  It was noisy due to the open kitchen area and the lack of carpeting to absorb noise.  Instead, the tile floor caused the noise to be bounced around the whole room.

My problem with noise is not caused by over-sensitive hearing.  I have a hearing disability so I can tolerate more noise than most people.

I would like to give a shout out to some of the great crew members we were privileged to be taken care of by during our 28 days on the Caribbean Princess.  In the Club Class dining room there was Nataly who greeted us at the door and seated us where we would be served dinner by Mark and Sonja.  In Crooners bar there were the magnificent trio of Junella, Julius, and Hilon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

The first couple of days the medallions unlocked the cabin door while either one of us was several feet away.  After that, only the wife's medallion would unlock the door from that distance.  I had to get right next to the scanner device where the mail box used to be located.  The last few days aboard I had to physically hold the medallion against the target on the scanner device for several seconds before the door would unlock. 

The same thing happened to us and I just attributed it to the Medallion battery getting weaker after a few weeks. I though at first it was my homemade magnetic holder that was causing the problem but the wife's Medallion on a lanyard acted the same way.

45 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

The same thing happened to us and I just attributed it to the Medallion battery getting weaker after a few weeks. I though at first it was my homemade magnetic holder that was causing the problem but the wife's Medallion on a lanyard acted the same way.

I don't think it has a battery.

Where's one of our computer gurus? Thrak!! are you out there?