Tortola JVD Options

aladybysea

Hi

This is our first trip to Tortola and wanted to go to Jost Van Dyke (JVD).  There are 2 options, Rebel Yell Cat or the RIB power boats.  We love high speed boats but concerned about the "swim" to JVD, my husband is a non-swimmer.  Do they take you directly to beach to wade in or would you have to swim in?  Has anyone taken the ultimate beach adventure tour vs the espape Rebel Yell?  What would be the main differences?

Trying to make a final decision as our trip leaves end of March.  Our kids are 6 and 8 and we were planning to leave on board at kids club for this one unless someone thinks this is a "family friendly" can't be missed type of port?

We let them pick in Barbados and somehow end up touring a mine instead of the beach, lol.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by aladybysea

I did the Rebel Yell and I was really concerned about the swimming in part. The only time they can't get close enough to the beach to require swimming is if the water is really rough. We were dropped off about five feet from the beach in knee deep water. The crew is right there to help you get in to the beach and back on to the boat when it is time to leave. It was a great day and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Our group of four did the Ultimate Adventure and Jost Van Dyke using the RIBs, and we loved it!  There was no swimming to the shore, as the boat was beached, essentially.  Be forewarned that this was not a smooth or dry ride.  If you don't care about those things then I highly recommend it.  The captain stopped frequently to share information and history about the island and to point out landmarks.  There were eight passengers and the captain which was part of the selling point for us.  It was a completely different experience than what the Rebel Yell seems to be, and I think you can't go wrong either way.  

Edited by Just Jo
Typo

Our group of four did the Ultimate Adventure and Jost Van Dyke using the RIBs, and we loved it!  There was no swimming to the shore, as the boat was beached, essentially.  Be forewarned that this was not a smooth or dry ride.  If you don't care about those things then I highly recommend it.  The captain stopped frequently to share information and history about the island and to point out landmarks.  There were eight passengers and the captain which was part of the selling point for us.  It was a completely different experience than what the Rebel Yell seems to be, and I think you can't go wrong either way.  

We have done all kinds of the speed boats from the Bahamas to the smaller boat in Key West. To the really bumpy South Drive in Cozemul. So there is no swimming? The warnings on the excursion say must swim? Also, how strict is the weight limit? My husband is right on the border. I just wondered if they weigh you ahead of time or if you’re like 1 pound over there going to boot you from the boat. LOL. And how difficult is it to get in and out of the boat? I am fairly short but I’ve seen some people say if you have mobility issues to avoid. How much time do you get on the actual beach? We love love love speed boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• There was no swimming required.  Perhaps they have to list that warning since you're in a boat and/or if for whatever reason they cannot beach the RIB. 
  • They did not weigh any of us in our group, and I don't think any of the other passengers either. 
  • Getting in and out of the boat wasn't graceful for some of us but it wasn't difficult (I'm about 5' 3").  The captain and other passengers were right there to help you however you needed it.  Yes, I think certain mobility issues would make this harder. 
  • I think we had around 90 minutes on the beach. 
  • We love speed boats too, and that was another draw for us with this excursion.  The RIB felt very fast at times and with the water spray it was a lot of laughs and a great time.  We would definitely do this tour again.

It's a great beach for kids. I've never been there when the water hasn't been dead calm. White Bay is absolutely gorgeous. One of the most-beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

By the way, for Painkillers, skip the Soggy Dollar and go next door to Gertrudes (great for lunch, too). She lets you pour your own rum into the Painkiller cup.

We went on the Rebel Yell with Captain Claudia in October 2018. Highly recommend it! Agree with all of the above. No swimming involved. They pulled up to the beach, dropped some stairs and  off you waded  in shallow water. It was a beautiful beach! We too ate at Gertrudes  (delicious burgers) and were amazed when the server allowed us to pour our own drinks! This was our first time in Tortuga and we were happy.