Skagway shore excursion

aalonzo2019

Hello All,

I will be going for the first time to Alaska in May 2019! For Skagway, what shore excursion would everyone recommend? It will be my aunt and I going. We don’t want to do the helicopter ride or the train ride so what else would everyone suggest? I was thinking the hike and float but how strenuous is the hike?

If you're comfortable on your own we rented a car from Avis and explored the Yukon on our own. Went to the dog sled place and had lunch there, stopped at Emerald Lake, and got to sit and watch a brown bear on the side of the road all by ourselves for about 10 minutes until another car showed up. After we just explored the town a bit. This year we will do the same but go all the way to Whitehorse since our stop is longer. 

• 1 month later...

Hi - the hike and float is very doable.  My sister is was having a bad leg day and so one of the guides went with the group on the longer hike (still very easy) and the other took us on a very flat, pretty path through the woods.  We really enjoyed the excursion. It is relaxing and beautiful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the sites I've looked for Skagway excursions on mention how "walkable" the area around the cruise port is!  My wife and I have the White Pass rail trip scheduled for late May....but we're hoping there is time left afterwards to walk the area near the cruise port!  Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do in Skagway!

Whitetrike

Skagway is very walkable...and very cute.  Also consider the free historical tours from the national park service (sign up at the Klondike Gold Rush NP visitor center right downtown).  

There are also great hikes from Skagway.  Some of the best--and easiest to get to:

Easy:  Yakutania Point or Lower Reid Falls (especially if you take the bus halfway to the cemetery)

Moderate:  Lower Dewey Lake

Hard:  Upper Dewey Lake (one of my favorite hikes ever...if you catch Skagway on a blue-sky day)

Pics of Yakutania Point:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/yakutania-point-skagway/

Pics of Upper Dewey Lake:   https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/skagway-alaska-upper-dewey-lake.html