Overwhelmed with beach clubs

HOSKI

So all the choices have me going back and forth and driving hubby nuts.  I finally just bit the bullet and emailed Jamie's to book for November.  It is rated #1 on Trip Advisor and the food looked most like what we wanted.  Maya Chen was my first choice but hubby doesn't want to be that far away.  I hope I made the right choice.  I haven't been to Costa Maya since it was first built and the fishing village/town didn't have electricity. 

Our goals for the day are to look around the pool and pier area a little, hit the beach club for food, beverages and a massage, then a little shopping for our kids who we are leaving home.

If you're only spending a short time in Mahahual and want an All Inclusive, Jaime's is probably the place.  He used to own NoHoch Kay toward the southern end of the malecon and before that had fabulous seafood restaurants in Playa Del Carmen.  His place is NOT as quiet as Maya Chan, givent he other beach clubs nearby, but his service is excellent. 

You'll find the malacon and Costa Maya very far different spots than back when Cha Chi's and Cat's Meow were about the only places to go. 

If it were me, and I had the same plans as you, I'd just swing by Tropicante and do PAYGO. 

When walking along the malecon, just be aware of the jaladores, lounge chair hawkers, who will pester you to stop at their clubs.  A simply NO, Thank You usually works, but it can seem like that's all you are saying along the way.  But do pay attention to Jaime's directions.  I believe he cautions against taking the tram from port and to opt for a taxi.  So walk outside the port complex gate and find the taxi stand, ask for "Captain Charlie" and tell him where you want to go.  he'll get you a taxi that will take you straight to Blue Reef.

There are a few small vendor kiosks along the malecon and a couple of stores in Nuevo Malahual (old Las Casitas) just outside the port, but you'll find the most shopping at the port itself.  Save that and the pier area walk around for your return leg back to ship.

• Thanks 2

crewsweeper thank you.  I booked Jamie's because it seemed to be the most of what hubby wants.  He has been there a few times and rented a golf cart and just stopped for food and drink.  That actually cost him as much as it is costing us for Jamie's.  We like the AI as hubby is a drinker.  I'm looking forward to a massage then we will head back and do a little shopping.