Cunard Cruise from Dubai in 2020

AspirationalFlyer

Hello everyone 

Sorry - me again! 

I’ve booked a segment on the QM2 world cruise in 2020 starting in Dubai and finishing in Hong Kong. The voyage is on QM2. 

Two quick questions:

1. We were hoping to visit the QE2. Does anyone know how far apart the Dubai Cruise Terminal is from where the QE2 is located? Is it easy to take a taxi? 

2. We are arriving on an overnight flight from the UK and we were planning to travel straight from Dubai Airport to the cruise terminal. I suspect we will get there for around 10am. What’s the earliest you think we will be allowed to check-in? We are travelling in Britannia class. 

Thanks for your help. 

Best regards,

AF

We were in Dubai a few weeks ago.  The QE2 is very close by and a taxi would be available.   

There was a kiosk and staff from the QE2 hotel in the terminal selling the tours so they may be able to assist with this. 

You can book the tour and lunch online, a friend took the tour and lunch and was delighted wih it.

Check in at Dubai can be painfully slow, so be prepared to wait around.  This year on the WC those joining were further delayed by a computer problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect you will be able to check in as soon as your cabin is ready. You could check when you arrive. You might be able to leave hand luggage somewhere on the ship if you want to go off.

BTW if you are doing the Emirates flight c 8.25 pm from Gatwick be prepared not to get dinner till 10-11pm and breakfast at 1.15 am and land at 3.30am. We were on the ship by 9am using the ship's transfer.  I have just done this flight and we were very tired due to lack of sleep and it took more time to recover than expected. I didn't do the QE2 tour but I heard good reports of it and you should be able to see it from QM.

Cathy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Thanks very much for your answers - helpful as always. 

We are taking the last British Airways flight from Heathrow, which leaves at about 21.30. Thankfully we are travelling in First (on miles) and plan to arrive at the airport several hours early to make the most of the Concorde Room. That should give us plenty of time for spa treatments, champagne, cocktails and possibly a 3 or 4 course meal too. 

I think the plan is to have one or two more drinks, ignore the food onboard, try and get four hours sleep (or thereabouts) and just wake up for a light breakfast. We’re prepared to feel a little tired on our first day, as well as possibly needing to wait at least an hour or so (possibly longer) at the terminal. My question was more just to confirm what I was letting myself in for! 

AF