Chilkoot Tours Bennett Lake Vs. Yukon Rail/Bus

Bengalfang

Any insight on Chilkoot Tours Bennett Lake Tour vs. the Yukon Rail/Bus.  They are around the same length and price and both go to Emerald Lake.  The Bennett Lake one spends more time on a train vs a Bus.  I'm torn so any small tidbits would help! 

I called and spoke to the owner, she was very helpful. After talking to her we booked the Yukon rail/bus. 

I really didn’t want to be on the train for 4.5 hours 

The  important part for us was seeing Emerald Lake 

Aug is our first trip to Alaska, so i cannot comment on the tour per-say. 

We were debating the same thing and opted to take the train up and bus back.

We figured sitting on the train up and back would/might be a little much.

I believe the bus down  takes a little time off the tour also.

• Like 1

Bennett Lake is amazing.  It was the staging area for miners building their rafts and boats for sailing to Whitehorse on the Yukon River.  It is the end of the Chilkoot Trail.  Very scenic. Go online and check it out on the White Pass and Yukon railroad site.  We’ve been to Lake Bennett twice.  Emerald Lake is a turnaround point for tours and is pretty but not a destination in my opinion.

• Like 1

Last summer we did the Bennett Lake excursion through Chilkoot Charters. It was the best day! The train was full until we got to Fraser but then a lot of people got off and we had plenty of room. The stop at Bennett Lake was great. The train station has some great displays. The site is a Canadian National Park and there are several old buildings and an uphill climb to the end of the Chilkoot Trail. Once back on the train we had a lovely box lunch that had more food than we could eat! We got into Carcross and were met by the same driver and small bus that took us to the train depot in Skagway. We had about an hour to wander a bit and relax then got on the bus which was about 20 passenger if that. We went to Emerald Lake for photos and then headed back to Skagway stopping at several spots when bear were spotted, stopped at some photo spots, and then offered a few stops in Skagway before we got back to our ship. It was a great day! I'd highly recommend it and we're already talking about doing it again. 

Karen

Thanks for feedback!  You guys had me leaning one way, then the other way and I think i'm once again stuck in the middle.  4.5 hrs in a train seems like a long time.  But it's the only way to get to Bennett lake!  

I have done both (through Chilkoot Charters) and much prefer the Lake Bennett trip.  You can go to Emerald Lake and Caribou Crossing on your own by renting a car, but you can only get to the historic town of Bennett via train.  The scenery is gorgeous, and the time on the train does not seem to long since you make a stop and have time to get out and walk around.

My preference is always,   Lake Bennett.   :)   There are wrong assumptions above with not knowing details.    Usually-  BOTH  do an  Emerald Lake  look.   Frankly,  this is not really a "destination",   but the turn around point and part of the journey.    Both,  do the same distance of the Klondike Highway.   Trains that get off at Fraser,   do round trip.  

A highlight of the Lake Bennett train is the end of the Chilkoot  trail stop.   You have time to see part of this trail-  which has the relic's and scenery is interesting for those interested in history. 

Both are great options and both get you into the Yukon.    Many options-   details are essential to know for the best selections,    for your preferences.   :)   

On 3/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, luvteaching said:

Last summer we did the Bennett Lake excursion through Chilkoot Charters. It was the best day! The train was full until we got to Fraser but then a lot of people got off and we had plenty of room. The stop at Bennett Lake was great. The train station has some great displays. The site is a Canadian National Park and there are several old buildings and an uphill climb to the end of the Chilkoot Trail. Once back on the train we had a lovely box lunch that had more food than we could eat! We got into Carcross and were met by the same driver and small bus that took us to the train depot in Skagway. We had about an hour to wander a bit and relax then got on the bus which was about 20 passenger if that. We went to Emerald Lake for photos and then headed back to Skagway stopping at several spots when bear were spotted, stopped at some photo spots, and then offered a few stops in Skagway before we got back to our ship. It was a great day! I'd highly recommend it and we're already talking about doing it again. 

Karen

Is there time to climb to the end of the Chilkoot trail before you have to get back on the train? I think it would be absolutely awesome to do that. My daughters used to play Yukon trail all the time and I'm so excited about seeing some of the places in real life. And I plan to rewatch the Still Standing episode on Carcross before we go.

3 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

Is there time to climb to the end of the Chilkoot trail before you have to get back on the train? I think it would be absolutely awesome to do that. My daughters used to play Yukon trail all the time and I'm so excited about seeing some of the places in real life. And I plan to rewatch the Still Standing episode on Carcross before we go.

Yes absolutely,    I do this every time,  including again last season.   I head out asap,  and  go all the way up the hill and part  way down,  dependent on my time.