Denali in May

kbm2

We will be doing a land portion on our own up to Denali prior to our cruise out of Whittier in mid-May.  We have worked out where to stay and how to get there, but many of the "must do's" inside the park won't be open yet.  The only park bus running at that time is the Denali Natural History Tour, but reviews that we've read are mixed.  Any tour recommendations for a full day in Denali?

I'd suggest you have an APPROVED car that can drive on gravel.    There are a couple vendors that allow this.    Then you can drive the Park Road as far as it is open,  up to mile 30.   Myself,  I would never pay for the NHT,  for my priority way overpriced.  

If you do not want to get an approved car,  then the NHT is your only option.    Where else are you going and how much time do you have.   I see you are on Princess,    perhaps include Seward and Homer?    Drive the Glenn Highway-  which is spectacular scenery in May?    etc.    Denali Park is very limited at that time,  compared to a full experience.  

• Like 1

Budget Queen, thanks for the recommendation on the Glenn Highway. We are in Talkeetna May 17&18th. Have a rent car and will do a visit to Beluga or Bird Point for a good Bore Tide afternoon of 17th. The only "tour" booked is the glacier landing w/Talkeetna Air midday 18th. I had looked at that highway running east to Glennallen. I now have a stretch of road to fill the days. Looks like a full day can be spent sight seeing from when the flight ends (1:00pm) til sunset (11pm). We are in Denali next 2 days. Have jeep and ATV tours at 6:30pm both days and looks like we can take the Transit bus to mile 53 on the 20th or 21st. We may have the time the other day to drive to Fairbanks. Thanks again. You're and old hand (figuratively) at this and are always helpful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kbm2 said:

We will be doing a land portion on our own up to Denali prior to our cruise out of Whittier in mid-May.  We have worked out where to stay and how to get there, but many of the "must do's" inside the park won't be open yet.  The only park bus running at that time is the Denali Natural History Tour, but reviews that we've read are mixed.  Any tour recommendations for a full day in Denali?

Although not "in" the "Park" they are very nearby. We are doing an ATV tour with Black Diamond Resort Co. and a jeep tour with Denali Jeep Excursions - see http://www.alaska.org/detail/denali-highway-jeep-excursions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!  That really helps.  We missed out on Denali when we went on our honeymoon in Alaska 22 years ago and really wanted to add it on this time, but the time of year is not great to get that full park experience.  We are going to skip the Natural History Tour & go it on our own.  Thanks again for your help!

14 hours ago, kbm2 said:

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!  That really helps.  We missed out on Denali when we went on our honeymoon in Alaska 22 years ago and really wanted to add it on this time, but the time of year is not great to get that full park experience.  We are going to skip the Natural History Tour & go it on our own.  Thanks again for your help!

I think we may be on the same cruise. What did you decide to do in Denali? We'll be in that area Wednesday/Thurs before the cruise. 

6 hours ago, consmarci said:

I think we may be on the same cruise. What did you decide to do in Denali? We'll be in that area Wednesday/Thurs before the cruise. 

Neat!  My dad lives in Dunedin.  Small world.  🙂  We are taking the Goldstar class train up on Wednesday morning.  Staying at the McKinley Chalet Lodge. On Thursday, we are doing a photo tour https://www.denaliphoto.com/photo-tours/instructional-photography-tour/.  Then we thought we'd take a shuttle over to the park visitor center & see what's available in a non-narrated trip.  Friday we are taking the Park Connection bus back to Anchorage - https://www.alaskacoach.com/routes/denali-anchorage.html.  Then on to Whittier Saturday morning!