Carnival Legend 16-day Hawaiian Island cruise

Steve551

My wife and I are considering booking the Carnival Legend 16-day Hawaiian Island cruise out of Vancouver (return San Pedro) Sep 26th – Oct 12th.

My question is, do any of you know how the weather is, temperature wise, in-route to/from that time of the year?  My wife says that with that many sea days she would want warm weather so that she could lay in the sun.

I'd say it's best to look up some data on October Hawaii weather vs hearing everyone's opinions on the weather. From a few quick links, it looks to be a pretty good time to go!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/honolulu-hi/96817/month/348211?monyr=10/01/2018

https://www.govisithawaii.com/2014/09/16/is-october-a-good-month-to-go-to-hawaii/

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I'd say it's best to look up some data on October Hawaii weather vs hearing everyone's opinions on the weather. From a few quick links, it looks to be a pretty good time to go!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/honolulu-hi/96817/month/348211?monyr=10/01/2018

https://www.govisithawaii.com/2014/09/16/is-october-a-good-month-to-go-to-hawaii/

I know once we get to Hawaii the temps will be warm. I'm curious about the temps at sea to and from if anyone has cruised there that time of the year. Trying to get some information help me convince her to take the cruise. 

We are booked on this cruise,  I have not been able to find much about the weather for the seas days. It sounds like it will most likely be cooler then say in the Caribbean especially the first few and last few days. The legend does have a sliding glass roof over one of the pools so at least that will help with the wind and any rain we run into. 

• Like 1

I can tell you about our experience and you can weigh that in your decision. We sailed Miracle out of Long Bch in Jan 2017. We had no qualms about 10 sea days cuz we love the time laying out. Well, we had 30 kts headwinds all the way to Hawaii and could only lay out one day. We missed 2 ports due to high seas. Then we had 30 kts headwinds all the way back to Long Bch. The outside decks were closed most of the time cuz the lounge chairs would have blown off the deck. I'm sure this isn't the norm, but it was certainly OUR experience. Hawaii is beautiful + a must see. But, I'm sorry to say, our Hawaiian cruise was a huge disappointment.

We did the Vancouver - Hawaii - Long Beach Carnival cruise in October 2015. There was a storm traveling south from Alaska, that started to hit Vancouver the day we left there. That caused the Pacific to be very rough for the first 3 days. I was sick most of one day and my traveling companion was sick for most of the next day. The rest of the ride to Hawaii and the days in Hawaii were wonderful. The days cruising from Hawaii to Long Beach were less rough, but not exacly warm - at least not after being in Hawaii. Even with the rough weather, it was an amazing trip and I would do it again without hesitation.

Check out reviews on the Hawaii forum.  Good chance it will not be warm and you will have rocky seas.  That's a ton of sea days to only spend a short amount of time in Hawaii.  If you have never been to Hawaii, consider flying there and staying a week each on 2 separate islands or 5 days each on 3 islands.  You'll experience so much more, and it will be warm. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I sailed on the Legend late September 2017 from Vancouver to the Hawaiian Islands.  The first night was quite windy and the ship did rock quite a bit, but to me it felt kinda like a baby being rocked to sleep. 

The first  2 days at sea were a bit coolish - windbreaker & pants those first nights (shorts & Ts the first day, by the 2nd it was swim suit by the pool temp, if you stayed in the sun & protected from the wind).  By the 3rd day, the temps were great, but still quite windy which is the norm for the middle of the ocean I’ve found.

We enjoyed being out on deck or our balcony anytime of the day for every day of the journey.  I’m sure you will have a great time on your cruise, in fact we had so much fun this month Mom & I are on the Legend for the Honolulu to Vancouver sailing.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from the Honolulu to Vancouver cruise on the Legend. The 5 sea days to Vancouver were not great. The first sea day was the only day we could lay out, after that it was very cold, windy and cloudy. The pools were unusable, even the hot tubs were empty. The Legend used to be my favorite ship but she has not been taken care of very well, she is very run down and tired looking. I'll never do this cruise again. 

20 hours ago, Lizzanna said:

We just returned from the Honolulu to Vancouver cruise on the Legend. The 5 sea days to Vancouver were not great. The first sea day was the only day we could lay out, after that it was very cold, windy and cloudy. The pools were unusable, even the hot tubs were empty. The Legend used to be my favorite ship but she has not been taken care of very well, she is very run down and tired looking. I'll never do this cruise again. 

I'm sorry you didn't like the ship. What ports did you stop at, and what did you do in each one (if you don't mind sharing)? Or, are you going to post a trip review? We don't sail until next May on RCCL Radiance OTS, but I'm happily checking out our options already.