Queen Elizabeth Internet packages

chriswat

We can't seem to find much information about the wifi service on Queen Elizabeth - one cruiser mentioned that the internet was very slow.  We are wondering about the packages but despite searching Voyage Personaliser I can't seem to find the $'s required.   Previous cruisers may know, and we would be very pleased to receive some idea of the cost.

Unfortunately what's available on the new Cunard website is lacking in quite a few different areas and information about internet packages is one of those areas. Unless something has changed very recently that I'm not aware of, here are the prices for Cunard's internet packages. This pricing has remained basically the same since the early days of internet access on QM2.

30 minutes - $14.95

120 minutes - $47.95

240 minutes - $89.95

480 minutes - $167.95

Note the only plans available are for usage by the minute. Cunard does not offer packages with unlimited usage for a flat daily charge as on some other lines.

I'd put Cunard's speeds (I haven't been on QE) as faster than dial-up, but take care to disable app updates and automatic download/uploads including photo backups before boarding. If you forget, the first few minutes of any connection session get bogged down with your mobile device trying to update everything that it has missed since the last connection.

Time of day will matter as well. I generally make my connections before 8 AM over morning coffee or after 10 PM. Make sure you're confirmed to be logged off because the network's timer will continue without you if you don't log off.

One saving grace with Cunard is that beginning with the Gold level of Cunard World Club (generally your third cruise) you get an allotment of internet minutes (starting with the 120-minute package) that increases as your membership tier increases. This helps shield most repeat passengers from the sticker shock of internet by the minute.

Edited by Underwatr

Many thanks for your replies.....it’s pretty expensive by the minute....some other lines offer a flat voyage rate which for us who will be working is more acceptable.  We note that we should be aware of turning off.

This is an area where Cunard needs to step up its game.  Some other cruise lines have upgraded their satellite connections and thus their connectivity is way better than Cunard.  On Cunard it's rather sad and pathetic with passengers standing in the corridors trying to get better connection to the routers.  And sometimes it's so bad that you can't even log off!  We flee to restaurants in port to use their Wifi to take care of our important business.  Otherwise, we just persevere and do some basic emails on board, and that's just about it.  Sad.  It doesn't have to be this bad as other cruise lines have much better internet speed and connectivity.  Cunard has made a management decision to not invest in the modern age.

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

If you're using public WiFi I hope you have a VPN service and/or you're not doing anything critical like banking. I trust Cunard but not a random restaurant in a cruise port. 

Yes we use a VPN.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find information on packages applicable for 2021/2022 (but can't find any pricing on Cunard's site). However an advertising email today links to the following quote - 

Experience even more, with additional money to spend on board.

Join a gin masterclass, savour a spa treatment, or dine on Wagyu beef and lobster at Steakhouse at The Verandah. Purchase a work of art from our gallery, stay connected with unlimited internet or indulge in a wine from our cellar.

This references "unlimited internet" but no more - when we were due on QM2 in 2019 there was refence to pending upgrades to their internet technology and I am wondering if that has now been carried out. Anyone have any current information?