Home Town Gift Exchange

Dragonfly468

Well, I've seen it done a couple of ways.  It seems that who ever picks first seems to lose their gift if it's a good one...the last pickers usually end up with the best if they are allowed to steal.  I wish someone would come up with the definite game rules.

Seems like a Christmas gift exchange game would work... We played this at work and book club exchanges.  Your roll call sounds fun.  Hope ours gets more traction, but we are 628 days out yet... sigh.  

dice game.png

2 hours ago, Xmas515 said:

Seems like a Christmas gift exchange game would work... We played this at work and book club exchanges.  Your roll call sounds fun.  Hope ours gets more traction, but we are 628 days out yet... sigh.  

dice game.png

2 minutes ago, Dragonfly468 said:

Thank you for the replys.  We have over 40 people so far, so we don't want it to go too long. A version of that would be great!! 

With 40 participants, the dice game would take some time.  Name out of a hat seems like the most efficient idea as someone said above.  Maybe get a captain's hat for fun?   Or use an app to draw names ahead of the cruise - you would need participants' email addresses.  I googled this app as an example - haven't used it myself:  https://www.drawnames.ca/secret-santa-generator 

We randomly drew one name to start.

They went to table and picked gift.

The giver of the gift went up and stood with them as they opened it.   Explained it if needed.

Then the giver went to the table and picked a gift.

As "hosts" we contributed a gift but went last.  If our gift was the last one on the table we were ok with that.

Gifts were very clever and very different.   Food was a big hit (pralines from New Orleans, cheese from Wisconsin, candied pecans from Georgia), some college team logoed stuff, and some other local goods.  We ended up getting a little porcelain box and a tea towel from a couple from England…I think about them and the cruise every time I use the towel or put my rings in the little box.

Having people stand up while they are getting and gifting made it easier to remember that they were so and so from such and such.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

We randomly drew one name to start.

They went to table and picked gift.

The giver of the gift went up and stood with them as they opened it.   Explained it if needed.

Then the giver went to the table and picked a gift.

As "hosts" we contributed a gift but went last.  If our gift was the last one on the table we were ok with that.

Gifts were very clever and very different.   Food was a big hit (pralines from New Orleans, cheese from Wisconsin, candied pecans from Georgia), some college team logoed stuff, and some other local goods.  We ended up getting a little porcelain box and a tea towel from a couple from England…I think about them and the cruise every time I use the towel or put my rings in the little box.

Having people stand up while they are getting and gifting made it easier to remember that they were so and so from such and such.  

LOVE!  

7 hours ago, Dragonfly468 said:

First time doing this ... how does the gift exchange work?  Wrapped or unwrapped?  Draw numbers for gifts?  Etc?

We usually have drawn numbers and the gifts have been in bags normally, but it is up to the giver to decide. And yes, the gifts can be stolen but that is part of the fun of the game, if you want to call it a game. There are so many ways to do this. Have fun!!!!! Some of the fun gifts have been, of course food from the region, coffee and mugs, are popular as well. Even a book that represents the state in some way can be a good gift. 

I once entered my Beemer in a car show during out Annual Potato Activities:classic_biggrin: ( this is North Carolina...and we get free french fries all day ...so don't judge)  anyway...My husband and I were given xxl t-shirts with a cartoon emblem of a  potato farmer on a tractor on the front.  Real funky looking....well, along with a book about folk lore in NC I wrapped it for the exchange.  My husband was so embarassed because he said no one would want it etc.  Well wouldn't you know in our cc group was a potato farmer from Ohio and he was soooooooooo excited to get that t-shirt😍  So...you never know what you'll get...