Drive from Orlando to Port Everglades

Topcruise

I prefer the toll road but only if I have a transponder.  I think the rental car places will rent one. Or, you can buy one of the transponders  you can move from car to car.  We find the traffic easier to deal with on the turnpike.  Others don't have a problem with the interstate.  The problem with the turnpike is many of the exists either do not take cash or only accept exact change.

If you don't want to deal with a transponder, then just cut over to I95.  It makes almost no difference.  Turnpike is more direct but the difference is minimal, maybe 15 - 20 minutes.  Trivial.  I95 has the benefit of being 3 lanes instead of 2, so you get less backups and road ragers trying to pass slow moving cars vs the turnpike.

In other words, don't go out of your way to take the turnpike.  It's probably not worth excessive fees from the rental company and dealing with getting a transponder, etc.

I hate the traffic on the turnpike, as you can tell.  RocketMan, you and I will have to disagree on that point! Lol.  Way too many backups because of slow moving vehicles not getting out of the way in the left lane.  People trying to fly around them, it's craziness and lots of aggression.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I recognize that many people do prefer the interstate. 

Wife drives, I navigate.  Wife prefers turnpike.

Maybe she drives like my wife, in which case, no worry about passing anyone.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, she learned to drive on the autobann.  One of my principal duties as Navigator In Chief is trying to keep her under 80.

Lol, total opposites.  My duty is to get my wife to increase the cruise to at least 75, 80 is out of the question.

Alamo has a very reasonable cost for using 'electronic tolling': $3.95 fee per usage day (24 hr. interval) that customer incurs tolls, plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates).  Opt-in decision is made when the driver elects to use EXPRESS, SunPass ONLY, E-PASS ONLY or LeeWay ONLY lanes.   Nothing to decide at time of rental. Only charged the fee on a day you encounter tolls . . .

With this in mind and looking at a map .... it matters WHERE in "Orlando" you are beginning the drive.  If the WDW area or other points west of the city the turnpike is a more direct route so I'd take that ... at least as far as Ft Pierce.  From Ft Pierce to West Palm Beach the turnpike runs virtually next to I-95 so if you want to save a few dollars in tolls, get off the turnpike here and finish the drive on I-95.

If you are driving from the airport ... I'd go 528 east to 95 and then head south. You will still have some tolls on 528 but these you can pay cash if you'd like and no additional on I-95

If you are on the south side of Orlando, like WDW, you just take the 192 to I95.  It's even better than the 528 actually.  Less than 20 minutes difference going that route vs turnpike and save $15 - $20 in tolls and rental fees.

Isn't this how you get to WDW from Melbourne?  Easy drive.

Edited by BNBR