Trying to book cruise with limited inventory

We often travel on relatively short notice.    Sometimes we see limited availability for a cruise, but when I try to proceed with online booking (both with Royal's site, and/or other suppliers) the stateroom is unavailable.  Sometimes the price changes from day to day for this phantom availability, or  goes from completely sold out to back to showing initially available, but unbookable.   The last time I did this I was finally  able to book it  (with an online travel agents)  after trying/watching for a week or two.   (The one I am looking at now is Mariner, Apr 1)

No big deal,  Just curious if this is just a bug, or if there's more going on?  e.g.a room empty  pending some sort of upgrade or blocked off for some other reason?   

3 hours ago, ssworde said:

We often travel on relatively short notice.    Sometimes we see limited availability for a cruise, but when I try to proceed with online booking (both with Royal's site, and/or other suppliers) the stateroom is unavailable.  Sometimes the price changes from day to day for this phantom availability, or  goes from completely sold out to back to showing initially available, but unbookable.   The last time I did this I was finally  able to book it  (with an online travel agents)  after trying/watching for a week or two.   (The one I am looking at now is Mariner, Apr 1)

No big deal,  Just curious if this is just a bug, or if there's more going on?  e.g.a room empty  pending some sort of upgrade or blocked off for some other reason?   

I have used the same internet booking agency for 15 years. Very reputable and accurate. I just did a dummy booking for that date and all that is left is guaranteed outside cabins...Other categories show sold out

It may come down to courtesy or other types of holds. For our last cruise, it was showing a great price for one of the Panoramic suites. Tried to book it and it said it was unavailable. I called Royal and they showed it available. The person had to do something through their supervisor to get it released for us to book it, but they got it done. If you see one you want, but it's not letting you book it, try calling. Might work out for you too.

I had this happen to me yesterday.  A cabin I wanted was available on 3rd party sites, but when I went to RC website to put to book it, I got a message that category was sold out.  I called and the agent had to cabin I wanted.  So just booked through him.

He said there have been major problems with their booking system, discounts not showing, etc.  

Thanks all.

My cruise of interest is now bookable, (at least for now).  That courtesy hold seems reasonable, and maybe just buggy too.     My other arrangements weren't firmed up yet to commit so I didn't try call in, but good to hear that it would probably work when I am ready.