Group cruise in 2007

newbe dave

I have been a happy member since prior to our first cruise last year. We (DW and I) are planning another cruise in Feb. 2007 on the Jewel with several other couples. After searching CC for my specific questions, I figure I would ask for myself. I hope this is not a duplicate.

Last cruise, we went with 10 other couples and we used a local agent for the arrangements. Honestly, I (most of the other couples agree) perceived no value from the travel agent and, in fact, we paid more for the cruise than I could have paid directly from NCL. Given our past experience, we are wondering if (more like why) we should use an agent to coordinate arrangements for our 2007 cruise. My thinking is that I could just have a "reservation" party where we all make our cruise reservations the same night (maybe the same phone call) and select our cabins near each other. We may not have a block of cabins next to each other but we should be able to get cabins within the same area of the ship.

What am I missing? What services might she have provided that I don't know about? We had one meeting where she handed us our papers and not much else. Questions were not really answered and we did not really have any expectations set. I learned much more from this board than anything she provided.

Let's please keep this discussion within the rules so don't mention specific travel agents. Also, I know that agents provide valuable services for travel arrangements. I just don't see the need (maybe value is the better word) for someone to help arrange a cruise for me since we know the cruise we want to take already. Any thoughts from the CC experts are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

They are useful in some respects including coordinating flight connections, etc., but for cruising they are a waste of time. I can get more information as a booked passenger from the cruise lines than the TA can.

My advice, if you do not require extensive/coordinated flight plans, or an extra night (pre, post cruise) in a hotel, and seeing that you are a seasoned cruiser, book your cruise through the cruise lines website, via phone, or through a booking website. You know what you are looking for better than the travel agents does. Remember, the cruise itself is already coordinated, so if you can get there without much hassle you're home free.

I have been a happy member since prior to our first cruise last year. We (DW and I) are planning another cruise in Feb. 2007 on the Jewel with several other couples. After searching CC for my specific questions, I figure I would ask for myself. I hope this is not a duplicate.

Last cruise, we went with 10 other couples and we used a local agent for the arrangements. Honestly, I (most of the other couples agree) perceived no value from the travel agent and, in fact, we paid more for the cruise than I could have paid directly from NCL. Given our past experience, we are wondering if (more like why) we should use an agent to coordinate arrangements for our 2007 cruise. My thinking is that I could just have a "reservation" party where we all make our cruise reservations the same night (maybe the same phone call) and select our cabins near each other. We may not have a block of cabins next to each other but we should be able to get cabins within the same area of the ship.

What am I missing? What services might she have provided that I don't know about? We had one meeting where she handed us our papers and not much else. Questions were not really answered and we did not really have any expectations set. I learned much more from this board than anything she provided.

Let's please keep this discussion within the rules so don't mention specific travel agents. Also, I know that agents provide valuable services for travel arrangements. I just don't see the need (maybe value is the better word) for someone to help arrange a cruise for me since we know the cruise we want to take already. Any thoughts from the CC experts are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

I would think with 10 cabins you could go directly to NCL and get a group discount.

3dblouder

I checked with NCL a couple months ago via Email and got no response. I figured that when I get real numbers, not estimates, of the people going I would try calling them. I may also see if a travel agent can get a group discount for me, assuming the number of cabins is large enough.

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping to education myself a little more before proceeding.

Why don't you try setting up a Cruise Critic Group Cruise? It sounds like you already have your group..and maybe a few more people from Cruise Critic would join you all. There are usually some nice perks for the person arranging the cruise (that would be you)..perhaps even some or all of your cruise fair paid for depending on how many you end up with in your group. If it ends up just being you and your friends, you can ask the TA to spread the free fare as a discount to all of you (so you won't feel like you're taking advantage of your friends).

I personally have booked with the cruise lines directly twice and used a TA all of the other times. I just go where I can get the best deal, and sometimes (like for my upcoming cruise this summer) a TA will give you a better price than even the cruiseline because they take it off of their commission. I used a TA that does a lot of the CC group cruises, and was very impressed with the pricing. Hope this helps...

With 10 couples you should get at least one, maybe 2 free cabins. A TA that specializes in cruises, more specifically group cruises can often help with coordination, payments, communicaiton to the group as a whole. It has been my experience that if you are the one organizing the group, you often wind up with a part time job. Find a good TA that specializes in group cruise travel and they can do all of that for you. Additionally, if they are real good they will often throw a bunch of freebie coupons your way, free drinks, discount internet minutes, free pictures etc.

The key is to find someone that is promising more than just "best prices". The way the cruise travel business has changed over the past year the TA's cant advertise or sell below what the cruise lines let them, the real advantage is in the service they can provide.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread on the "search" feature and it answers a couple of my questions but I still have some things I'm hoping this board can help me clarify before I talk to our TA again.

Here's the deal: it's coming up on final payment time for our cruise. We are expecting a discount from the TA based on the # of cabins booked (10) We are booked as a group through the TA (a large cruise agency, came recommended by 2 different friends), and she wants final payment for the full amount and then will apply the discount afterward--either by refund check or by cabin onboard credit. We've already stated that we don't want onboard credit, and she was a bit evasive about that when it was brought up again yesterday. She said that she'll check with her accounting department and NCL and let us know what they say. And as to exact amount--again, she'll be checking with NCL and accounting. I'm not implying that she's wrong, or trying to give us something less than we were told we would receive--but I don't know if this is the usual procedure or not and I'd like to get a little feedback from you guys before I talk to her again on Monday. If this is the way it usually works, that's fine. If it's not, I'd like to be able to tell her what we expect and not have to fumble around without a clue as to what is the norm.

She's been very accessible and helpful throughout. Our group is comprised about half & half of newbies and experienced cruisers. All the cabins are balcony, all in a row except 2 (a mini-suite and an inside cabin)

if that makes a difference. I would appreciate any experiences you can share or advice you have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Archived