Photography at the ports, do other lines do this

flagger

One of my pet peeves I failed to mention in my review was the corral like structure they put up in Antigua and St. Maarten for herding guests through a place to stop and get photographed with either fake pirates or someone holding wine and glasses. It really slowed disembarkation more as there was no way to exit the corral without going through and not being photographed.

We have been on many cruises and have learned to just put up with it. We just smile and laugh on how they are just spending their time developing them

and we won't buy them You can also just say no and walk around them.

we are the opposite, we buy them, reason is we get a nice card with other pics of the island and a reasonable pic of the two of us, we have an album we add each official cruise pics to and it is really looking good now

To answer the OP's question, most cruise lines do the same thing. We dont buy them either and most of the time we walk pass so they dont get taken. But once they thought my best friend was my father's daughter and it was a very cute picture so we did get that one.

They all seem to do it. We just go around them. The only time we had our pics taken recently was to get in line for some other ship that was dumping their pax off at the same time as ours was. Let the photo guy figure out who that couple is.:p

We generally found that if we didn't have to rush to get off the ship to some excursion that it was best to wait until after the "rush hour" to get off the boat. After the initial cattle stampede, you can just leisurely stroll on by. No people. No Photogs.

It's pretty standard stuff. Princess even goes as far as a "paparazzi" photo display. On Golden Princess, one of their photographers took 23 pictures of my 22yr old daughter by the pool without her knowledge, and posted them on the paparazzi display, and several men were buying the photos of her. I was not a happy mom, and had a little "dutch uncle" talk with the photographer who had taken the pics of my daughter. Needless to say, he didn't take any more of that sort of pics of her for the rest of the cruise.:cool:

There have always been pics, but I have never seen it where you couldn;t escape. Sometimes we get the picture taken, sometimes we just walk around. I always figure I have too many pictures, perhaps I should put them in a vacation type scrapbook.

Both in Antigua and in St. Maarten, the corral was set up so that you could walk through but had to wait as each person before you either walked through or got the picture taken. There was no option to get out of the corral and go around.

Politely, but firmly. We have been on enough cruises that we don't want the cruiseline photos, including the "welcome aboard" shots. I usually tell them that we are in the Federal witness protection program, and can't have photos made. DW typically informs them that we are professional models, and they will have to pay a modelling fee if we are photographed. And, while they are mulling this over, we just step past.

What many of you might not know is that the photographers have a 'roll quota' that they must shoot. Just smile and let them take the picture. You don't have to buy it or even look at it. But it really helps them out when they have gangway duty to just let them snap that picture. And if you really hate it, wait an hour to get off. They won't even be there.

These young people are usually doing this job to 'see the world' as it is one of the worst paying jobs on the whole cruise. They work strictly on commission which is 1% of what they sell. Not much.

Ues, flagger, every cruiseline does it.:rolleyes:

We will let them take our embarkation photo. We never buy them. I like to look at all the photos, especially to see if there are other gay couples. And we've met people later on the cruise who have talked to us because they saw our photo and knew we were a couple.

At ports, we find a way to walk around the gangplank photos. I don't remember a corral being used on our Celebrity cruise last year.

Archived