Rental car from FLL to Miami

OCVTSGIRL

We are cruising out of POM in September but we fly into Ft. Lauderdale.  We have a hotel booked in Miami and have been trying to decide the best option to get there from FLL.  I've been wondering if it might be cheaper to just rent a car at FLL and drive ourselves to the hotel in Miami and then return the car the morning of our cruise.  Wondering if any of the car rental companies offer a free shuttle to the pier.  Our hotel does offer a free shuttle to the pier so perhaps a rental car isn't the way to go.  I'm so confused.  lol  Maybe we should get a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and return the car in Miami.  Haven't done a rental car in a really long time but when we did, we always used Alamo.  Any help would be appreciated.

Most downtown hotels charge guests $25-30+ per day to park - what hotel do you have reserved?

National, Alamo, Thrift & Enterprise offer shuttles between their MIA airport location and POM.  Downtown locations for Hertz, Avis and Budget are close to POM and usually offer shuttles.

Or use UberX, good for 2-3 passengers, between FLL and Miami for $35-40 for the car.  Skip the rental.

Edited by JohninDC

What hotel are you staying at in Miami? How many people/bags? Rental car is a lot of hassle, but sometimes makes sense. Especially if you want to have a car to get around on the day before your cruise. 

We are staying at the Comfort Suites Airport North.  Unless I can find a better deal.  We've never done Uber or Lyft and I wasn't sure what the cost would be and if it would be cheaper to just rent a car.  I thought Uber or Lyft charged per person not per car.  If it is only $45-$40 for the car, that would definitely be cheaper that renting.  We really don't care about driving around especially since we don't get into Ft. Lauderdale until around 4:00.  There will be 2 of us with probably 2 pieces of luggage and maybe a carry on.  

Uber X or standard Lyft should easily hold you and your bags and will take you straight to your hotel. No need to fight traffic, gas up the car, drop off, shuttle to the hotel, etc.

Or cancel your hotel and stay close to FLL.  Then you can Uber straight to POM or use one of the popular shuttles for about $15 per person.  Check SAS, QLS, MJS, and Go Airport.

Edited by JohninDC

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Uber X or standard Lyft should easily hold you and your bags and will take you straight to your hotel. No need to fight traffic, gas up the car, drop off, shuttle to the hotel, etc.

Or cancel your hotel and stay close to FLL.  Then you can Uber straight to POM or use one of the popular shuttles for about $15 per person.  Check SAS, QLS, MJS, and Go Airport.

Thanks!  We booked the hotel in Miami so in the morning we would just take their shuttle to the pier and not have to possibly get stuck in traffic traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to the POM.  I think we'll probably just stick with our hotel and do Uber or Lyft.  Is UberX different from Uber?  We've never done Uber or Lyft.

2 minutes ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

Thanks!  We booked the hotel in Miami so in the morning we would just take their shuttle to the pier and not have to possibly get stuck in traffic traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to the POM.  I think we'll probably just stick with our hotel and do Uber or Lyft.  Is UberX different from Uber?  We've never done Uber or Lyft.

Uber X is a standard passenger car - Toyota Camry, Prius, etc.  UberXL is a minivan or larger SUV and will cost more ($70-75+ for your trip).

If you have never used Uber before you should watch a couple of YouTube videos, download the Uber app to your smart phone, and set up your account.  If you apply my code you will get a first ride discount of $5 or so .

Johnb13999ue