Bermuda in April

tallone16

Bermuda can tend to be on the cool side outside of the Summer months. Highs of 70's in the Winter/Fall/Spring, so nice enough to walk around in shorts and t's, but not day at the beach warm. Sailing out of NYC this April, had the options to go to Bermuda or Port Canaveral - Great Stirrup - Nassau, and while I'd much prefer spending 3 days in Bermuda the warmer weather in Florida/Bahamas drew me in.

And yes sailing out of NYC in April can be chilly as well, could be 40's could be 70's. Unpredictable in April, but expect chilly.

Edited by RHilla619

We went to Bermuda on the Escape last April, departing New York on April 29th. Sailaway was a bit chilly -- we had sweatshirts on departing New York. It was warm by the second sea day.

We were in Bermuda from May 2nd - May 4th, and it was very nice weather: lows in the 60s, highs in the mid 70s. Great for walking around. The water temperature was 71 degrees -- cool, but swimmable for those of us used to cooler ocean temperatures in the summer. My parents took us to the Jersey Shore growing up, so low 70s water temperatures were never an issue for me -- I swam.

Looking at Bermuda's weather service, it seems last year when we were there unseasonably warm, and that the average temperature for that time of year is usually a bit cooler. That site, incidentally, is the best source of info on weather forecasts for Bermuda, and has a ton of information on past Bermuda weather, averages, that sort of thing.

As others have mentioned, the weather is going to be unpredictable, so you never know, but it was great for us.

We sailed to Bermuda twice in April from Baltimore.  It was cold leaving Baltimore.  Mid-70s in Bermuda.  Too cold to swim. I grew up near Jones Beach Long Island, but 70 degree seas are too cold for me!  It was nice walking around though. 

FYI both times we hit very rough seas and storms coming back on our second sea day.  Barf bags out and a lot of people seasick.  Bring bonine!