Credit card charges for excursions

Richard2

When excursions are booked, when is your credit card charged?

I have an unusual problem. The credit card listed on my account on My Viking Journey had fraudulent use this morning. It has been cancelled and I will receive a new credit card in about 5 days.  However, in two days, I can go online and book excursions for my next cruise. I don't want any chance of my excursion selections being cancelled because the charges were not accepted. Does anyone know if I have to go to MVJ and put in another card that I really do not want to use, or can I book the excursions and just wait until a few days later to put in the new number for the card I prefer?

Thanks.

The card you have registered with MVJ is not used for excursions.  You will be prompted at check out to input a card number.  Your reservations will not be secured until you have completed the check out procedure and made payment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ropomo said:

The card you have registered with MVJ is not used for excursions.  You will be prompted at check out to input a card number.  Your reservations will not be secured until you have completed the check out procedure and made payment.

This is Viking procedure.  Not yours until paid for so you can't reserve them unless you pay for them, if there is a charge.  The others, if you choose can be taken care of.  

Just booked all our optional excursions. I forgot the card linked to the account is not used for excursions. Major PITA to have to enter your info for every excursion if you follow the “pay as you go” booking advise I.e. put in cart then pay for each excursion” Maybe Viking will make a change to their software. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VJMAZZ said:

Just booked all our optional excursions. I forgot the card linked to the account is not used for excursions. Major PITA to have to enter your info for every excursion if you follow the “pay as you go” booking advise I.e. put in cart then pay for each excursion” Maybe Viking will make a change to their software. 

Doesn't really need to be.  If you know what you want before hand (we just make a list and pop through them, whole process for us a week or two ago took less than 5 minutes), you can load up your shopping cart in a matter of minutes and just check out once.

• Like 1

Yes I know if you only book included excursions the process can go fairly quickly. However, the CC I entered for my account was not used for option. excursions. I had to enter all my CC info  for each optional excursion. Yes, I know I could put everything in the cart, and then check out at one time. However, experienced Viking cruisers know that you run the risk of your excursions being “stolen ” from your cart before you actually checkout for popular excursions.  I think Viking should link the  CC entered for on-board purchases to excursion purchases. 

Sent from my iPhone

24 minutes ago, VJMAZZ said:

Yes I know if you only book included excursions the process can go fairly quickly. However, the CC I entered for my account was not used for option. excursions. I had to enter all my CC info  for each optional excursion. Yes, I know I could put everything in the cart, and then check out at one time. However, experienced Viking cruisers know that you run the risk of your excursions being “stolen ” from your cart before you actually checkout for popular excursions.  I think Viking should link the  CC entered for on-board purchases to excursion purchases. 

Sent from my iPhone

So if you take the time to enter the CC information for a popular excursion to avoid losing it while you select others, you run the risk of having other excursions close because of the time you took to enter information for the first one. Ridiculous. Booking excursions should not require gamesmanship.

In any case, thanks everyone for the replies. Guess I'll have to be using a card that I don't want to use.

52 minutes ago, VJMAZZ said:

OK, if you insist on this approach, simply highlight your CC number right click and copy on the first time entry and then paste it (ctrl V) into the subsequent bookings.  Viking has probably set it up this way because many pax may want to use a different CC for excursions or at least to provide them the option.

• Like 1

I would call your CC company and tell them you need the card sent to you via overnight. We have had cards compromised in the past and gotten new cards within 1-2 days. 5 Days seems unreasonably long.

Had one compromised 2 days before a trip and told the CC company we needed it next day and it was no issue.

• Like 1