Special occasion vacation ideas! :)

alliecat44

Hello, 

I have convinced my partner of 7 years to take a grand vacation to celebrate our upcoming 40th birthdays! We turn 40 on August 31 and September 10, 2019. 

I'm currently trying to research vacation ideas given our budget (all-in of $10k--including flights, excursions, extras). I would LOVE to hear from any CC members who might have some ideas for us! 

Here are the restrictions I'm working with:

--Leaving from local airport Fort Lauderdale

--Want to avoid Caribbean as it will be HOT and during hurricane season

--Dates are flexible; ideal trip would include both of our birthdays (up to two weeks total) 

About us:

--About to turn 40

--Not very active--prefer to eat, drink, take in scenery and culture,, some light excursions (not big hikers, not scuba divers) and entertainment

--Have sailed on NCL multiple times and have four CruiseNext certificates to use in the next three years--but also open to other cruise lines

--Would need a balcony room (or above if affordable--hahaha) 

--Our favorite and best vacation EVER so far was a 7-day Western Caribbean in the Haven on NCL's Getaway (we won an upgrade bid after booking a balcony room) LOVED the luxury and service.

Ideas we are considering so far:

--NCL's Hawaii cruise (7 days on board, balcony room/specialty dining/open bar and flights priced out at $7300--obviously before excursions and without any additional hotel days before or after the cruise, which would would consider)

--NCL's Alaskan cruises (lots of variations--within our budget most likely one of the 7-day cruises--but if I'm going to Alaska I would love to do it right and do a cruisetour) on the Jewel or one option on the Bliss 

--Other cruise with different cruise line?? 

--Ten days at a fabulous resort in Bermuda (not a cruise, I know!)

--Trip to Europe (Italy, France, Greece?) Maybe could be combined with a few days on land and a river cruise?? (My only reservation with this is that I don't want this to be too "busy" a vacation--wasting time trying to get around, scheduling museums etc to death)

Sooo....with those considerations......I would be very appreciative for anyone's thoughts or ideas. I want a once-in-a-lifetime special trip...just not sure how best to spend our money--and we do love cruising!! Since you all are expert vacationers, I am hoping to benefit from your wisdom!!! 

Best wishes, all, and thank you!! 

--

Europe seems good.

The Baltic is also a good option to the Med if you are worried about heat. There is also more to Northern Europe than museums and food and culture wise there are some really good options.

With your budget you could also try Asia or Oz? If it is really special why not? You would get some beaches and culture and a whole new environment. The regular lines sail to these places and Aussie lines/Aussie branches of normal lines are easy to book.

Our recent 3 week Oz/Asia holiday was £5500ish  ($7000) all in with an ocean view cabin with drinks package and included a 2 week cruise with stays in Oz and Singapore each end. We flew from the UK in peak summer holiday time too.

Edited by Velvetwater

10 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Europe seems good.

The Baltic is also a good option to the Med if you are worried about heat. There is also more to Northern Europe than museums and food and culture wise there are some really good options.

With your budget you could also try Asia or Oz? If it is really special why not? You would get some beaches and culture and a whole new environment. The regular lines sail to these places and Aussie lines/Aussie branches of normal lines are easy to book.

Our recent 3 week Oz/Asia holiday was £5000ish  ($6600) all in with an ocean view cabin with drinks package and included a 2 week cruise with stays in Oz and Singapore each end. We flew from the UK in peak summer holiday time too.

I have been dreaming of Australia and New Zealand since I was a child...but looking at those cruises, the dates don't work out (only cruises by NCL in 2019 are in December--the rest are in 2020 or 2021). 

Any idea what other cruise lines may be comparable price-wise? Many thanks!

On 3/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, alliecat44 said:

I have been dreaming of Australia and New Zealand since I was a child...but looking at those cruises, the dates don't work out (only cruises by NCL in 2019 are in December--the rest are in 2020 or 2021). 

Any idea what other cruise lines may be comparable price-wise? Many thanks!

Does your cruise have to be NCL for sure?

Doesn't have to be NCL....

Currently broadened the horizons a bit and found a 10-day Italy and Greek Isles on the Jade that may fit the bill...$6500 without airfare/any extra days...sounds AMAZING to me but a bit nervous about airfare (finding about a thousand per person when you take into account baggage fees, etc for an economy seat). Thanks for all of the help so far...!!!!!!