Mutany on the Mary

jimneycrkit

I use to live in the UK for 6 years, and when it was time to go, I wondered how I was going to live with out a good spotted Dick once in a while, tabloid gossip about the Royal Family, and the famous English

ability to whine about most anything.

Thanks for the nostagia trip on one of these. Anybody got any good Royal Family stories ?

Elizabeth

I use to live in the UK for 6 years, and when it was time to go, I wondered how I was going to live with out a good spotted Dick once in a while, tabloid gossip about the Royal Family, and the famous English

ability to whine about most anything.

Thanks for the nostagia trip on one of these. Anybody got any good Royal Family stories ?

Elizabeth

I'm a yank and not too familiar with brit customs but i hear that spotted dick is very popular in the royal navy is this true????? best regards jim

Thank you for your kind comments. I've just updated www.jackatsea.com and have now started to refuse to do interviews as most things get twisted. I will continue to update the blog, but try to keep things more positive and highlight that we ARE having a great time.

My tip total for 38 days will be just over $400. I plan to add considerable to this.

Jack

English, British, European and a World citizen LOL

Jack,

I read the article and instantly knew they had used your comments out of context to make it seem like you were a dissatisfied passenger. The reference to the 15 dead appalled me. They have no right to make the comparison. That's like comparing a a bad hair day with terminal cancer. They should be ashamed.

It's a pity you're disembarking on Feb 22nd....it means we'll just miss meeting! :(

I'm glad to hear that a cooler head among the malcontents has prevailed. Perhaps they won't end up delaying the ship after all. I'm more than a little relieved. I was beginning to think I would have to take names and file a lawsuit against them for delaying the ship and ruining my vacation!!! :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise and I'll be visiting your website daily.....the anticipation is killing me! I'm ready to set sail NOW!!!

For those on board who are not enjoying their liner voyage as much as they should (this is not a cruise), can I offer you a tantalizing glimpse of what you have missed, courtesy of Cunard's own publicity machine.

I still think they are very arrogant to suggest that QM2 is a destination in itself and you should be grateful for being aboard, take it (50%) or leave it. She might be alright for a six-day transatlantic with all entertainment, activities and guest lectures planned out. But the uncertainty of this trip means they will have had to stretch everything out to make do. Moreover, I would bet that entertainers were due to get on in Barbados, and their absence means the rest of the turns will have to fill in with whatever is in their repertoire.

The good news is that she will be completely provisioned for the twelve day voyage, so there is no chance of anyone starving.

This is what you missed:

"Cunard's 2006 South American liner voyages are the pinnacle of civilized adventure, offering a mesmerizing glimpse into the experiences of history's greatest explorers, while guests enjoy the Cunard hallmarks of opulent surroundings, fine dining, and renowned White Star Service," says Jan Swartz, senior vice president of customer service and sales for Cunard Line. "'Route to Rio' is an exciting kick-off to Queen Mary 2's maiden foray into the rich history and traditions of South America."

Tracing a two-day path along the Eastern Caribbean, guests arrive in the charming capital city of "Basseterre, St. Kitts," considered one of the most picturesque colonial cities in the Caribbean. Here, visitors enjoy Brimstone Hill Fortress, a magnificent 17th century citadel offering panoramic views of the coastline, countryside and neighboring Caribbean islands. One of the best preserved historical forts in the Americas, it is a 300-year-old fortification perched 780 feet above sea level. The second largest fortress of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, Brimstone Hill was the site of more battles between the British and French than any other in history. Other must-see sights include the batik studio in secluded Romney Gardens and, for hikers, a guided tour up St. Kitts highest peak, Mt. Liamuiga, an extinct volcano.

The voyage continues to "Bridgetown, Barbados" the next day, where the island's rich British history is reflected in its architecture and attitude. Orchid World inspires quiet meandering along fragrant, winding paths while Andromeda Gardens is home to an outstanding collection of tropical plants. Travelers with a penchant for history will enjoy a glimpse of Gun Hill, a former British lookout post, and the 300-year old sugar estate, Sunbury Plantation House.

From Barbados, Queen Mary 2 cruises the Atlantic for four days before sailing into port in "Salvador de Bahia, Brazil." Designated a world heritage site by UNESCO, Salvador is a historic and fascinating city that is particularly engaging to those who appreciate architecture. A walking tour through the cobblestone streets of Pelourinho, the city's historic district, reveals the highest concentration of Baroque architecture in Latin America. Churches, manor houses and buildings date back to the 17th century, affording a glimpse into the lives of wealthy sugarcane planters. On the Itapagipe Peninsula, the 18th century Bonfim Church draws thousands of visitors each year. Shoppers enjoy Mercado Modelo, featuring shops selling traditional handicrafts such as Brazilian lace, embroidery and hammocks.

Following another day at sea, Queen Mary 2 reaches "Rio de Janeiro, Brazil." One of the world's most exciting cities, Rio is also one of the most beautiful. From Carnival to samba, Rio captures the energy and excitement of the Brazilian Rivera at its best. Here, must-see excursions include visits to Sugarloaf Mountain and Christ the Redeemer Statue, two of Rio's most prominent landmarks; the Sambodroma District, home to Rio's legendary Carnival parades; and famed Copacabana Beach. Other Rio excursions include a visit to 19th century Petropol- for five days yesis, the mountain retreat of Brazil's last emperor, and a tour of the historic Imperial Palace.

Fares for the 12-day "Route to Rio" segment begin at $2,799 per person, double occupancy."

Where has Mr Swartz been of late?

we are getting on in valpasario, and as a brit am very nervous if the likes of jimneycrkt are tarring all brits with the same brush, which would simply be unfair

i think i had a "chicken pox " exchange with her/him and wondered if we could meet up with her/him and fellow cruise critics on board

i am now nervous as to how we will be greeted by fellow passengers and crew, thanks to the "shower" on board

the tone of this thread is getting rather "them and us", god only hopes it will not be the same on board

let's hope good sense will prevail and the "rotters" l get off at rio and it all calms down before chile

then all i have to worry about is the sea sickness as it sounds quite rough on board!!

cornish erika

ps post captain:

marazion is still beautiful and i too can see st.michael's mount from my window, and you wouldn't get me on the scillonian!

we are getting on in valpasario, and as a brit am very nervous if the likes of jimneycrkt are tarring all brits with the same brush, which would simply be unfair

i think i had a "chicken pox " exchange with her/him and wondered if we could meet up with her/him and fellow cruise critics on board

i am now nervous as to how we will be greeted by fellow passengers and crew, thanks to the "shower" on board

the tone of this thread is getting rather "them and us", god only hopes it will not be the same on board

let's hope good sense will prevail and the "rotters" l get off at rio and it all calms down before chile

then all i have to worry about is the sea sickness as it sounds quite rough on board!!

cornish erika

ps post captain:

marazion is still beautiful and i too can see st.michael's mount from my window, and you wouldn't get me on the scillonian!

Erika,

I think unless you're screaming that you want your money back, giving the staff a hard time or loudly pronouncing how unhappy you are, you should be fine ;)

I'm sure there are plenty of people on board who will take you at face value and not read anything into the fact that you might have an accent. And if they do give you a hard time, scr*w 'em. Don't let ANYONE ruin this trip for you!

Bon Voyage :)

A lot of people may have booked private tours already payed for by credit card, who loose then ??:confused:

If they paid for travel insurance which covers all out-of-pocket expenses, and they counted these land tours, etc., in the $$ insured amount, they will be reimbursed!

If you'll forgive me for saying so, this thread is in many places starting to read like anyone who is on this ship and is more than mildly disappointed deserved to be thrown overboard. This is hardly fair and if I were onboard I think I'd be rather peeved too.

- for my husband and I, the ship is not, repeat, is not, the destination. Its quite true that we like the comfort that cruise ships provide us but their predominant use to us is a means to an end to allow us to travel through a range of countries, normally that we haven't seen any of before. As such if I found out that most of my scheduled landings had been cancelled I'd be extremely disappointed. If I just wanted to stay in a nice resort I'd have done so.

- I quite understand the comments about not taking it out on the crew but maybe Cunard need to communicate better where the tips go - if I was onboard and genuinely thought part of an amount debited from my account was going to Cunard I'd probably want to take it off too. When we are on ships where tips are not part of the fare we always remove the automatically added tips and give the money direct to the people we think have provided us with good service - unless we have poor service at a minimum what is recommended, often more - and I don't think this makes us bad people.

- I've been on several cruises where we have lost destinations, either in advance (having 3 days lopped off a cruise at short notice) or due to other facts meaning we lost several ports. Whilst this is of course annoying what has generally annoyed people lots more (and I say this from experience) is the way that matters have been handled with the cruise lines often exuding an air of arrogance that gets peoples backs up. May I also say that in my experience it is (a small minority of) the Americans who tend to complain loudest and most incessantly in this situation. We have also decided not to travel in the foreseeable future with a cruise line that we thought were very off hand with us in this manner.

- re the terms and conditions its all very well saying "they can pull all the ports and you signed the terms" but the fact of the matter is you have absolutely no choice about these - as a consumer I am hardly in a position to negotiate them out. Your only alternative is not to go at all. A choice of law clause is not likely to be enforceable against UK based consumers.

- Don't forget that for many people on this ship this is either a very rare event or for some a "once in a lifetime" holiday. Yes of course missing a port is hardly the same as a spaceship blowing up and we do of course need to keep a sense of proportion about the missed ports but if you've saved up for years to go and see South America and its taken from you, whilst you are indeed unhappy in comfortable surroundings, you are still likely to be upset. This is the same logic as saying "why are you complaining your birthday dinner in this expensive restaurant is stone cold, people are starving in Africa you know so be grateful for your cold pasta". I haven't read enough about the specifics of the cause to know whether Cunard are in any way to blame for this (even if they didn't cause it, could they have prevented it etc) but if people are disappointed AND feeling they have been dealt with in an off hand manner then this will increase resentment. Don't forget the people onboard are living it so its easier to have a sense of perspective when you're at home in your normal life.

UPDATE: breaking news - the BBC claims a UK class action has been filed - these reports don't sound confirmed yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4645316.stm

The previous writer makes some excellent points.

On a QM2 Caribbean cruise last year, we didn't find out until we boarded in Ft. Lauderdale that the stop in San Juan had been cancelled and Tortola had been added. And we only found that out from other passengers--during the chaotic nightmare of a mob scene that was the embarkation process in Ft. L.

We had a great time anyway, and our Princess cabin was gorgeous, but it sort of stuck in my craw that our major stop had been cancelled with no explanation, and that our introduction to the ship was not exactly gracious. A little communication on the part of Cunard would have made a huge difference. Cunard staff should have been out working the crowd during the endless wait to get on. Small actions (like timely announcements) make such a huge difference.

Carriesue,

In case you did not see my post yesterday (I think it was) When you withhold tips from the onboard account, and pay them directly, they must pool what you give them. If you wish to thank your waiter, asst waiter or steward especially, you are better off to leave the tips on account and hand them only the extra. That they get to keep. I do not know what would happen if you reduced your tips below the "recommended amount" and gave extra to those who you feel especially deserve it. And of course, I don't know if this is true on other cruise lines. This was told to me by my waiter on the 3 Jan cruise, and I specifically (delicately) asked him.

I do not for one minute think that there is a Brit vs American mentality, here. I believe the distinction was made, and properly so, that the custom of tipping is not the same in some places as it is in others, and might cause some confusion to those not used to that custom. If where you come from 10% is a good tip, and you go somewhere where 15% is absolute minimun, and you tip 12%, you think you are being generous while your waiter thinks you are stingy. It helps to understand that different cultures are different. if you tip in some countries, (especially the owner of an establishment) it is considered an insult- that he is not paying his people adequate wages or that you need to pay extra to get good service. Neither is right nor wrong, just what is custom.

I think there are some disappointed people on board (I was disappointed we couldn't stop in Costa Rica) and some who genuinely are crestfallen at their holiday of a lifetime not being what it was meant to be. I rather think the seriously harmed are probably the exception rather than the rule, and as the Commodore has said, they should rightfully plead their case to the "front office" Others may just be seeing if they can get whatever they can, deserved or not. Sure I would have loved, say, a couple hundred onboard credit- but I had a good time all the same. I've had worse things happen to me on a vacation, with no chance at compensation. Life does not owe us for every disppointment.

Erika, you will have a lovely time, Melissa, keep having your lovely time. Jack, Don't take any calls from anyone. <G>They are twisting your words, no matter what you say to make it as sensational as they can.

And lastly, I'd love to hear about what else is happening on board. Did they have the Crossing the Equator ceremony? Any great sightings of the Southern Cross for the first time? Great food? That Great Hungarian dessert wine? How about those art classes Jack and Anne have been taking? I'd love to hear more about them! Any great gowns, hats, horse races, etc?

And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?<G>

the "other" Karie

Holidaymakers say the 50% refund applies only to the cost of the cruise and does not address the cost of flights or hotels at the aborted destinations, which they say form a significant part of their total holiday cost.
this is my first post here. I think this explains why else the passengers are peeved. To not be reimbursed for lost flights, hotels or excursions for those missed ports is inexcusable. I will be sailing on another ship later this week and I know that those shore excursions can get quite pricey.

Of course there is no excuse for taking it out on those who are only trying to serve.

I haven't read enough about the specifics of the cause to know whether Cunard are in any way to blame for this...

Carriesue,

There was an ACCIDENT on the way out of Fort Lauderdale when one of the pods hit something. Responsibility is yet to be determined. The QM2 returned to port to assess damage and effect what repairs could be. Cunard say that ONCE they were at sea, to find out how fast the QM2 could go, they revised the itinerary, which led to the dropping of ports. Whether this is true or not, I do not know. Nor do I know if, as asserted by the complainants onboard, that this decision was taken before leaving port - how they know this I don't know.

I think the refund of 50% of the fare pretty reasonable - and the subsequent free booze also showing willing. I think expecting a 100% refund - a free holiday - ridiculous. And with-holding tips from wait-staff mean spirited.

I am sure there are things that Cunard could have communicated better, but frankly the pronouncements from the complaining passengers about 'sit-ins' and so on unedifying. The BBC article had an interesting suggestion, that in order to get to Rio to disembark this lot ASAP they are not deploying stabilisers......oh dear.......

Peter

UPDATE: breaking news - the BBC claims a UK class action has been filed - these reports don't sound confirmed yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4645316.stm

As much as I am disgusted with these passengers antics, I am even more disgusted with the BBC and CNN for referencing the gangway tragedy, which has beyond nothing to do with this issue.

On the other hand, I do think Cunard is wildly arrogant to say "the ship is the destination." That was unecessary and only increased the anger further. Cunard, you should learn this is only going to rile people further.

I say, give the passengers who are behaving their money back. For the rest, let 'em sue. Look at their arguments:

1. "We could have been let off in Fort Lauderdale" - unfortunately this line of reasoning is fallacious, archaic law or not. Violating the Jones Act is breaking the law. No court is going to put up with anyone who says Cunard should have knowingly let 1500 passengers break the law, whether they paid the fine or not. That's like saying to a cop, "officer, I'll give you the $450 fine in advance if you'll just allow me to speed through a couple of red lights."

2. "We missed all our ports" - Read the terms of your cruise ticket. It says NO COMPENSATION for this kind of change. That's in writing and YOU agreed to it when you paid for your cruise, whether you like it or not (and whether you read it or not.)

3. "We paid money for tours, etc on the ports that were missed" - If you booked the ship's shore excursions, you're covered so no worries. As for the rest of it, well...don't most companies have cancellation guidelines? And isn't this what travel insurance is for? In any case, Cunard still legally owes you nothing.

4. "The ship is not the destination, we are being held prisoner" - okay, it sucks to miss your ports and be at sea when you want to be on the beach. There is no denying that. Yes, your vacation may very well be ruined. Mine would be too no matter how good the food is. And I would be very angry. But again the fact is, Cunard is not obligated to give you a dime. Not a single dime.

5. "We're not going to leave the ship in Rio." - Ever been in a Brazilian prison? You just might have the chance if you take this route. Consider it a complimentary shore excursion.

6. "Cunard was dishonest when they didn't tell us their ports were canceled in advance." - Maybe so. The court will decide if Cunard knew in advance or not. Fact is, they could have known a week earlier and still owed you nothing for missed ports. I don't blame them for not saying anything if they actually did know, because they knew very well it would lead to passengers wanting to leave when they could not do so because of the Jones Act, which no one would understand anyway. Judging by this crowd, mass riots would ensue and people would probably be throwing their luggage overboard and jumping in after it before the ship could get out of the harbor.

People, you can cry and bleat all you want (and you are entitled to do so) but it is all in writing on the back of your cruise ticket. What's there is 100 times stronger than any sympathy your sob stories will gain. Whether you agree with the Jones Act or not, it is United States law, and no, you are not above the law. My advice? Take the 50% and run, because you are going to lose. And this is coming from someone who totally agrees that your vacation was ruined. But you need to buck up and be realistic about this. And in the future, take your money elsewhere if you are that angry with Cunard.

To not be reimbursed for lost flights, hotels or excursions for those missed ports is inexcusable.

How do you have a flight or a hotel in a port where you are calling for a day?

IF Cunard are not helping people re-arrange their Rio plans then that is poor - travel insurance should cover missed excursions and I'm sure Cunard have refunded Cunard organised ones - but its this journalistic hyperbole about the 'suffering' that drains sympathy for these passengers.

Peter

Just wondering why the ship didn't stop in the Bahamas so it could let passengers off in Ft. Lauderdale for sightseeing excursions. Time to repeal the Jones Act.

I am sure most people understand problems like this happening. It is the way the cruiseline addresses the passengers needs that bugs me sometimes. I had alot of problems on a cruise a year ago and was frustrated that all I could do was complain and never got as much as a flower or bottle of wine with an apology for my problems on RCCL LOS. I asked for an onboard credit to use for one of the specialty restaurants on my next cruise and never got anything.

On a Carnival cruise a few years ago, I got a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine for leaving a note in the suggesiton box suggesting Carnival carry cookies on the buffet at dinner. Big difference in customer satisfaction vs. RCCL who only sent me a satisfaction form to complete online at home. Passengers do remember the little things.

Just wondering why the ship didn't stop in the Bahamas so it could let passengers off in Ft. Lauderdale for sightseeing excursions. Time to repeal the Jones Act.

I am sure most people understand problems like this happening. It is the way the cruiseline addresses the passengers needs that bugs me sometimes. I had alot of problems on a cruise a year ago and was frustrated that all I could do was complain and never got as much as a flower or bottle of wine with an apology for my problems on RCCL LOS. I asked for an onboard credit to use for one of the specialty restaurants on my next cruise and never got anything.

On a Carnival cruise a few years ago, I got a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine for leaving a note in the suggesiton box suggesting Carnival carry cookies on the buffet at dinner. Big difference in customer satisfaction vs. RCCL who only sent me a satisfaction form to complete online at home. Passengers do remember the little things.

? NCL(the foreign flagged ones) ships stop directly from NY to Florida without going to the Bahamas first. as long as the passengers get back on after sightseeing there is no PSA(passenger service act-the cruise line equivalent of the Jones Avt) violation. The violation only occurs if they transport between US ports permanently- not if they let them off and they get back on. They do need to make a stop in a foreign port before they come back to the place they left(unless they stop at a distant foreign port). NCL gets fined all the time for its non-US flagged ship(the wind?) out of Hawaii all the time. It only makes it to Kibuti about half the time. The fines have been well into the millions of dollars at $250.00 per head each and every time it doesn't make it there. The reasons tend to do with sick passengers or crew(its two days out and two days back). But if Cunard wanted to it could have taken the people to the Bahamas and let as many off as wanted without a fine(it probrably would cost more to fly out of the Bahamas back to where ever people were going) As long as you don't permanently leave the ship in the US there is no PSA(Jones Act) violarion. There are ships that travel between the Bahamas and the US- that too is ok because its not within the US. I feel sorry for the crew. After all this isn't their fault at all.

People were let off the ship in Ft Lauderdale. The news showed people getting off the ship and going to the Galleria Mall and other excursions. One man even stated that he and his wife were leaving the ship and not continuing ( I can't be totally sure that he really did but that is what he said in an interview).

As far as any excursions that were missed due to this situation, if people put the charges on a credit card, they will be able to get their money back for those because no services were rendered.

Cannot believe all the negative comments. Don't believe that this whining has anything to do with nationalities. Emu, looking forward to our trip March - April around South America eastbound. I believe (from what I have read) that it was the BAR Pilot who made the navigational error not the Commodore. I do hope the passengers presently in our cabin have vacated by the time we sail. I have gotten sea sick on most cruises (twice on Coronia while navigating the Bay of Biscay each way), and just get an injection when onboard, as I refuse to give up sailing. "Stuff" happens. Let's hear something positive.

Brookcat,

Even if we are in dry dock............... as long as the pools have water in them, the food doesn't run out, the drinks are cold the nightclub is pumping and we have some excellent company on board.............. I will be happy............. particularly if they throw in a big refund or future credit!!!!!!!!!!!

Cya March 8

Emu

Archived