Koningsdam cabana questions

freedom50

We have booked a cruise on this ship for December 2019. We are two star mariners and this will be our fifth cruise on Holland America. For the first time we have booked an inside (sideways) cabin.  So we are exploring the  cabana rentals on the Koningsdam and have a couple of questions. If you have had one would you recommend booking for the entire week? Based on the layout what is the best cabana retreat to book for a couple based on total peace, relaxation, and of course the best views?   DId you enjoy the perks included with the rental?

IF we book now and change our mind would we get a full refund $ or an onboard credit? Thanks for your time.

4 minutes ago, freedom50 said:

We have booked a cruise on this ship for December 2019. We are two star mariners and this will be our fifth cruise on Holland America. For the first time we have booked an inside (sideways) cabin.  So we are exploring the  cabana rentals on the Koningsdam and have a couple of questions. If you have had one would you recommend booking for the entire week? Based on the layout what is the best cabana retreat to book for a couple based on total peace, relaxation, and of course the best views?   DId you enjoy the perks included with the rental?

IF we book now and change our mind would we get a full refund $ or an onboard credit? Thanks for your time.

I have only rented a retreat cabana on NA, and am doing it again for an entire week on my upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise.  I'm not sure where you are headed, but I HIGHLY recommend them.  If you can spring for the family retreat cabana, then I would snag one.  If not, the others are nice but just not as large.  The service is amazing and well worth the fee IMO.  We always get the cabana overlooking the lido pool.  It is very quiet and you don't have to worry about chair hogs as you have your own private area.  I'm not sure about changing your mind and getting a refund....I doubt it though.  I am a big fan of the cabanas :classic_love:

My husband and I rented a cabana on the K for a 20-day cruise in May 2016.  At that time, the ship was brand new so there weren't many pictures available of the cabanas.  After researching pictures from other ships, we decided on the corner family cabana.  I will say the size of the "family" (4 person) cabanas on the K are much smaller than the older ships.   That said, we absolutely loved it and booked another corner cabana for our upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in May this year.  We're willing to pay the higher price for the corner, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for 4 people.

Whether or not to book for the whole week really depends on where you're sailing and what you plan to do with the space.  The first 2 weeks of our cruise was in pleasant spring weather and it was wonderful up there in the cabana.  The service was exceptional and it was wonderful to have such a lovely and comfortable place to read our books or play cards while watching the amazing scenery around us. The views were exceptional and without crowds, which was especially nice when we sailed into Rotterdam and the decks were super crowded.

The last week of our cruise was in Norway and while extremely beautiful, we just didn't get to use the cabana as much because it was too cold.  However, we went a couple times for lunch simply because other areas of the ship felt crowded and the service from our attendants was so special.  

The space included two chairs, a double lounge/day bed and a table.  

I don't know about the cancellation - but you can only book the cabanas by calling HAL directly, so you can always ask them at that time.

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

Edited by rdwinelvr
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just reserved one for the week for a cruise up in Alaska next year.  I, too, had many of these same questions.  This is what I learned ....

If you are reserving the cabana prior to your cruise, you have to pay for it at the time of the reservation and you can only reserve one for the entire week, not on a day to day basis.  You are assigned to a specific cabana when you reserve it.  I also think the corner ones were the better choices but wasn't willing to spend even more on that one.  I ended up booking one along the side (I think #3 or #5) as it looks as though the small structure in the middle may help to block some of the wind while being up in Alaska. 

If there is any availability for the cabanas on your cruise, you can certainly reserve one once you board for a specific day.  

If you aren't going to need the cabana (if you cancel the cruise or upgrade to a room where you feel you will no longer need it), the cabana is refundable.  I didn't think to ask how far in advance you would have to cancel to receive the refund, though.  

One more thing, if you are getting it for the scenery, the ones along the side are the better choices (from the pictures I've seen).  The other ones look down on the pool area and in cooler weather, they would look down on the retractable roof (from the pictures I saw).  

57 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just reserved one for the week for a cruise up in Alaska next year.  I, too, had many of these same questions.  This is what I learned ....

If you are reserving the cabana prior to your cruise, you have to pay for it at the time of the reservation and you can only reserve one for the entire week, not on a day to day basis.  You are assigned to a specific cabana when you reserve it.  I also think the corner ones were the better choices but wasn't willing to spend even more on that one.  I ended up booking one along the side (I think #3 or #5) as it looks as though the small structure in the middle may help to block some of the wind while being up in Alaska. 

If there is any availability for the cabanas on your cruise, you can certainly reserve one once you board for a specific day.  

If you aren't going to need the cabana (if you cancel the cruise or upgrade to a room where you feel you will no longer need it), the cabana is refundable.  I didn't think to ask how far in advance you would have to cancel to receive the refund, though.  

One more thing, if you are getting it for the scenery, the ones along the side are the better choices (from the pictures I've seen).  The other ones look down on the pool area and in cooler weather, they would look down on the retractable roof (from the pictures I saw).  

Are you sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska? We did that cruise two summers ago and weren't sure whether it would be too cold for us to want a cabana but we booked one by the Lido pool (just for the two sea days after we were on board) because that area had the retractable roof so even in cold weather/rain it was really pleasant and we could see the glaciers and an occasional whale from the cabana which was pretty cool. And on the sea days, it was incredibly crowded at the Lido for lunch so being able to eat at the cabana was a nice treat. It was one of our favorite family trips ever. I hope you enjoy your cruise!  

We'll be on the Koningsdam for the first time in Europe this summer. They only have the retreat cabanas and the larger/family corner ones are sold out so we're considering whether it would be worthwhile to get the smaller ones as they look tiny and crowded in the photos compared to those on older ships.

6 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Are you sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska? We did that cruise two summers ago and weren't sure whether it would be too cold for us to want a cabana but we booked one by the Lido pool (just for the two sea days after we were on board) because that area had the retractable roof so even in cold weather/rain it was really pleasant and we could see the glaciers and an occasional whale from the cabana which was pretty cool. And on the sea days, it was incredibly crowded at the Lido for lunch so being able to eat at the cabana was a nice treat. It was one of our favorite family trips ever. I hope you enjoy your cruise!  

We'll be on the Koningsdam for the first time in Europe this summer. They only have the retreat cabanas and the larger/family corner ones are sold out so we're considering whether it would be worthwhile to get the smaller ones as they look tiny and crowded in the photos compared to those on older ships.

Wow ... that sounds amazing!  I really appreciate you telling me of your experience as I had been wavering on the value, but we are booked in an inside cabin so, it will be great to have our own little viewing area without directly braving the elements.  

We will be also sailing on the Koningsdam for the first time.  Even though we've sailed a couple of times in the past on HAL, it was many years ago so we are really kind of newbies to this line.  I booked one of the spa inside cabins just three door away from the pool area.  I haven't heard any complaints about those rooms, except for the ones right there at the entrance to the hallways might get some movie screen noise.  Otherwise, I think we will enjoy that room with the option of having some shelter of the cabana since we have two inside passage days and one day in Glacier Bay ... all days that seem to be calling out for me to be out viewing the beautiful scenery and wildlife.  The entire week is about the same cost as three days so, I went for it ... you never know if they will be all booked up on those days we want it if we wait until we board and still way less expensive than getting a balcony cabin!   Now, if they offer me an upsell, I will be jumping on that and then canceling the cabana.  But, a nice place to eat lunch away from the crowds sounds rather intriguing to me.  Last year when we were up in Alaska (my favorite itinerary of all times), we were out on our balcony all day when at Glacier Bay and the inside passage.  We had purchased a bottle of champagne and ordered brunch and oj from room service ... mimosas and yummy snacks and the most scenic place ever ...  ahhhhh ... life just doesn't get better than that!!  

Anyway, yes, I've heard the cabanas on the Koningsdam are much smaller than on the older HAL ships.  We really just need it as a place that will keep the wind down and the rain from dumping on us.  Or, we could get really lucky and have wonderful weather but it is late in the season so not sure if we can count on that.