Disembarkation at San Francisco

disneyochem

Hello, first time Princess cruiser with a question about getting off the ship in SF.  We will be traveling home via Amtrak and there are a number of time options for our connecting bus.  We’d like to make the 9:05 a.m. bus and be home before noon (the next departing bus is at 2 pm). We catch the bus by the Ferry Building (we’ll take a Lyft) which is about 1.5 miles from the pier.  If we self-disembark, is the 9 bus doable?  The Grand is scheduled to arrive at 7 a.m.

i know that there are a number of factors (have been on many cruises) that affect how quickly the ship is cleared for disembarkation.  Just want to know about getting off in SF.  Our tickets are flexible, so if we do miss the 9 bus, then we just have to wait for the 2 o’clock bus.  So not too worried!  We’ll spend the extra time at Fisherman’s Wharf.

thanks!

Edited by disneyochem

You could definitely make it to the Ferry Building by 9 AM ... depending on the day of your disembarkation, though.  If it is a Saturday or Sunday with something going on along the Embarcadero, it could slow traffic down quite a bit.  But, the Ferry Building is just less than a mile away.  We've walked it before with rolling luggage at a much faster rate than automobiles were able to get through the gridlock.  But, for the most part, traffic isn't all that bad from the pier once the ride share can find you.  There is an area where they are supposed to pick you up (towards the end of the first straight away on drive through before turning the corner) but none of ride share drivers seem to know about it.  The port of SF needs to put up some clear signs for both the passengers and ride share drivers.  

I've found that guest services on the Grand are most accommodating ... just be sure to ask for the early walk off and you should have no problem getting to the Ferry Building by 9 AM.   We've gotten home, on the other side of the bay, by 9:30 AM without problem in the past ... just asked for early walk off and it was done!!  The earlier in the cruise you ask for it, the better.  If you wait for all the assignments, the early spaces might be filled.  But again, never had a problem with that request on the Grand.   

2 hours ago, RonaldL said:

Last time I was on the Grand they were allowing people to disembark by 8 am.  Customs is normally quite fast so you should be ok to catch the 9 am bus.  

2 hours ago, RonaldL said:

Last time I was on the Grand they were allowing people to disembark by 8 am.  Customs is normally quite fast so you should be ok to catch the 9 am bus.  

Thank you!  I thought we should be fine--nice to hear others' thoughts.

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You could definitely make it to the Ferry Building by 9 AM ... depending on the day of your disembarkation, though.  If it is a Saturday or Sunday with something going on along the Embarcadero, it could slow traffic down quite a bit.  But, the Ferry Building is just less than a mile away.  We've walked it before with rolling luggage at a much faster rate than automobiles were able to get through the gridlock.  But, for the most part, traffic isn't all that bad from the pier once the ride share can find you.  There is an area where they are supposed to pick you up (towards the end of the first straight away on drive through before turning the corner) but none of ride share drivers seem to know about it.  The port of SF needs to put up some clear signs for both the passengers and ride share drivers.  

I've found that guest services on the Grand are most accommodating ... just be sure to ask for the early walk off and you should have no problem getting to the Ferry Building by 9 AM.   We've gotten home, on the other side of the bay, by 9:30 AM without problem in the past ... just asked for early walk off and it was done!!  The earlier in the cruise you ask for it, the better.  If you wait for all the assignments, the early spaces might be filled.  But again, never had a problem with that request on the Grand.   

Oh, yes, thanks for the tip about visiting Guest Services early in the cruise.  I'll be sure to stop by early on our 10-day cruise.

We arrive back to SF on a Wednesday.  Think we'll just have normal commute traffic.  Worse comes to worse (if we decide not to hoof it), we'll jump on Muni.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

Oh, yes, thanks for the tip about visiting Guest Services early in the cruise.  I'll be sure to stop by early on our 10-day cruise.

We arrive back to SF on a Wednesday.  Think we'll just have normal commute traffic.  Worse comes to worse (if we decide not to hoof it), we'll jump on Muni.

Thanks!

It never hurts to put in that request up front rather than missing out on the earlier walk off times.  I had so much trouble on the Star once ... no recognition of loyalty status.  On the Grand, though ... they always have stepped up to the plate!!  After several cruises on her, I just started calling her the 'Ship of Yes' ... that was always the reply to any request made.  

And yes, Wednesday is a good day on the Embarcadero ... should be no problem unless there is an overall issue with disembarkation, which is rare and you have a back up plan in place anyway.  I can think of worse places than the ferry building to hang out while waiting for my bus to arrive.  

35 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can think of worse places than the ferry building to hang out while waiting for my bus to arrive.  

Oh yeah!  Stock up on cheese—Point Reyes Bleu in particular!

I’ll call Princess today and see if I can put in a request now.  Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Yes, can't agree enough that signing up for first available Self-disembarkation group is the way to go, especially if there's any Immigration to factor in! SF is incapable of processing a ship fast so if this is your first US port after visiting Canada or Mexico the first batch off are the only folks who'll get through quickly - when we got off as the terminus of a coastal from Canada there were tales of horror as the last pax queued for over three hours to be cleared while we sailed through among the first handful.

4 hours ago, Buffy56 said:

If you have priority disembarkation, what is the earliest you can get off the ship?

Depends on the line - but even the first group of 'take my bags off for me' people will be behind all of the self-disembarking folks, unless the latter have for some bizarre reason decided to stay on board later than they need to!

3 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Would this tip also work with Carnival?

We have a 1.00pm flight to NOLA after we arrive back from Alaska(via Victoria).

Line doesn't matter for this one - it's down to Pier 27 having limited space for CBP desks. How many pax on your ship is the relevant factor - we were on a mid-size Princess, not quite full, maybe 2000pax so if yours is any bigger expect maximum immigration processing delays to be even worse... Play it safe, take your own bags off and be ready to go when the gangplank is opened!

My suggestion, book the Amtrak from Emeryville (that's where the train is) and UBER from the pier to Emeryville.   There might even be a later train from Emeryville that will work for you so you don't have to depend on their bus or have long hang around time.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE