Alaskan ports accessibility for wheelchair and scooter

flutprop

One port we found very friendly was Seward.  I did an live interview with Jen Leahy from the Seward Visitor Bureau and she talked a lot about the accessibility in Seward. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 5:22 AM, luvteaching said:

Hi Jakesnana, 

In Juneau we did a ship's tour with the scooter to Mendenhall. The scooter fits under any of the Greyhound type buses. I didn't realize this until a few years ago and what a difference it has made! In Juneau we tend to do it ourselves and go over to the Alaska State Museum, we've been up to the Capitol Building and the Juneau/Douglas museum, and wandered as far as we can go. The same is true in Ketchikan as we've gone up to the Totem Pole park and to Cape Fox Lodge (but the hill was too steep for the scooter so I had to push for a bit!). 

In Skagway we've done the White Pass Yukon Railroad several times and they are great with the scooter. They have a handicapped accessible car and my DH rides his scooter on to the lift and they lift it up into the train car. The advantage is that there are a lot less people in the car so more room to spread out and move around! We've also done the trolley tour but had to leave the scooter near the ship until we got back. Last year we did the Bennett Lake excursion with Chilkoot Tours and the train and bus were not handicapped accessible so left the scooter behind and DH did fine. 

I hope this helps!

Karen

Yes it was 👍