Gift Cards for Drink packages

I know you can use gift cards to purchase obc, but can you use gift cards to pay for a portion of a drink package and then use credit card to pay whatever the gift card doesn't cover.  For example, if I call to order the package and if drink package was $800 for 2 people.  Could I use $100 Visa gift card and then pay $700 on my regular credit card?

Yep. I did this on our honeymoon cruise with some Amex gift card we got as wedding presents. You have to do it over the phone, but just tell them you'd like to use 2 cards for payment and then tell them the amount for each card.

Ugh!  I called today and they are telling me you can't use 2 separate payments for 1 item.  Of course they cancelled the package I had that I received Black Friday pricing so now not only can I not use the gift cards I have but I have to pay current pricing.  They are sorry, but there's nothing they can do. 

1 hour ago, panzafit said:

Ugh!  I called today and they are telling me you can't use 2 separate payments for 1 item.  Of course they cancelled the package I had that I received Black Friday pricing so now not only can I not use the gift cards I have but I have to pay current pricing.  They are sorry, but there's nothing they can do. 

Seriously? That's crazy. It was 4 years ago that I did that, so I guess they changed their policy. That's ridiculous, I'm sorry.

My lady and I got Royal gift cards for Christmas with the intention of using them towards our drink package only to find out that the gift cards are not usable in the cruise planner. You can only apply them to on board credit that doesn't appear until you are on the ship. Hopefully we can cash out that OBC because we will definitely have a bunch left over now. 

4 hours ago, panzafit said:

Why did they cancel it?  I'd escalate that to have them honor the original pricing!  As we know, you'll get a different answer every time you call!

That's what I asked, why did they cancel it.  I told her that I wanted to upgrade my husbands drink package but I was going to use 2 different cards for payment.  She said they couldn't do that. So I said, ok, I'll just keep it how it is then. Her response was, I already cancelled it.  I asked to speak to her supervisor and he said there was nothing they could do.  I called back twice more thinking I might get a different answer about being able to use the gift card and my credit card but kept getting the same answer, can't use multiple forms of payment.  They said if I wanted to pay my package with one card and his with one card they could do that but not two cards for 1 package.  Also kept getting the "nothing they can do" about the cancelled package. I finally ended up just going online and getting him the drink package and just paid with my regular card.  Guess I'll save the gift cards for cruise clothes. Seeing how I have about $600 worth of gift cards looks like I'll be set.

Edited by panzafit