3 nights post-cruise

2Long2NxtCrz

All, we've stayed in OSJ before before our last cruise out of San Juan.  This time we're staying post cruise (mostly due to price differences in air fare).  We've done OSJ and the forts, beach time in Isla Verde, bio-luminescent bay kayaking, and Arecibo.

Now we're trying to hit other highlights that we haven't yet managed and would love suggestions, including the best way to get to some of the farther afield locations.  We were thinking that renting a car would be the best way to go and most of the places we're considering staying at include parking.  So, can we rent a car at the Pan American Pier upon disembarkation?  I figure that'd be the fastest and easiest way to start our day.

We haven't done the Bacardi Tour and thought that the day we return would be a good time to do this.  We also haven't done El Yunque and were wondering about combining that with a ferry ride across to Vieques (and maybe switch up our hotel to there for a night?).

Lastly, my husband is fluent in Spanish, so getting off the beaten track has never been an issue and we truly do love exploring and finding those lesser known gems.

Thanks for your help!

There isn't car rental right at the port.  There are rental outlets at some of the hotels near the convention center as well as in Old San Juan- so you'll need a taxi to get there.

If you are driving, you should consider staying outside of San Juan, and visiting more of the island- there's so much more to Puerto Rico- it's hard to list in one post.  Including visiting Vieques- which I would suggest doing overnight.   You could stitch together a few Paradores (https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/places-to-stay/paradores-inns#!grid-~~random~1) and loop around the whole island.  (that web page would be a good tool to put together a nice trip).

BTW, my wife gets the paper- and there are a ton of issues with the ferries that go out to Vieques and Culeba- so you may have to consider that on another trip.

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

There isn't car rental right at the port.  There are rental outlets at some of the hotels near the convention center as well as in Old San Juan- so you'll need a taxi to get there.

If you are driving, you should consider staying outside of San Juan, and visiting more of the island- there's so much more to Puerto Rico- it's hard to list in one post.  Including visiting Vieques- which I would suggest doing overnight.   You could stitch together a few Paradores (https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/places-to-stay/paradores-inns#!grid-~~random~1) and loop around the whole island.  (that web page would be a good tool to put together a nice trip).

BTW, my wife gets the paper- and there are a ton of issues with the ferries that go out to Vieques and Culeba- so you may have to consider that on another trip.

Thank you!  This is exactly the kind of thing that I was wondering.  We both love to explore see the rest, so I'll definitely check out the Paradores!  Loop around the whole island sounds kind of perfect.  Especially if the ferries might not be a great idea right now.  We'll definitely be back to PR again after this trip because we love the island and her people so much.