Hawaii

sawyershane

11 hours ago, scottygirl said:

I'd  love your thoughts on this excursion when you return.

Mahalo

Just returned from the Aina Tour and very much recommend it.  We were picked up at the port, they were waiting right where they said.  They have two vans ... one holds 6 (possibly 7) and the other holds 10.  We were with Tina and 6 of us.  She was very knowledgeable and the tour was very relaxed and enjoyable, not rushed but moved right along. Tour as described.  We got to the volcano first off and before the buses and other tours so not crowded at all and was the same at all the other stops.  Did see turtles at black sand beach.  Water was provided and chocolate covered macadamia nuts, also crackers if one wanted some.  Was a great tour and good way to see Hilo!  Well worth the price.  When you book she does not ask for deposit and payment is at the end.  Tina said they are going to go to only one vehicle tour of 10 believe next year.  

Gil & Tina
Big Island Aina Tours

Edited by QCAZ
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 6:51 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Usually we do our own thing. However when we took a Celebrity cruise to Hawaii a few years back, I am so glad we splurged on one ship’s tour because it was the highlight of our whole trip.

It was the Road to Hana excursion in Maui, a full day tour that included lunch from the menu at Hana Ranch. We saw so much fabulous waterfall scenery and had a good driver guide (on a little bus) who stopped frequently for photos at scenic, interesting sites and the famous bridges. I’m not a fan of bus tours, but this never felt rushed. The tour was a clockwise circle returning on the dramatic back side of Haleakala.

It takes a full day to do this, and I wasn’t worried about missing the ship since it was their tour. We were literally on the first tenders off and final tenders back at sunset. Some people rent cars to do it, but the drive has tight curves and requires driver concentration; the return “back road” is isolated and rough, unpaved in places, so rental car companies don’t encourage it and might not rescue you there if you break down - therefore individual drivers tend to turn around and backtrack all the way back to port. 

If they still offer this tour, I highly recommend the splurge.

We were in Maui in 2004 with our sons and niece and drove the Road to Hana ourselves.  Oh my it was spectacular. Long day but so worth it.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:48 PM, QCAZ said:

We are on our way to Hawaii at this time ..... Vancouver to Hawaii.  Will arrive in Hilo tomorrow and have this tour booked:

Gil & Tina
Big Island Aina Tours

Has good reviews and I booked it on-line and received a quick confirmation back.  They only take 10, but have 2 vehicles so will do 2 tours.  We booked early December and on the first tour, both tours filled I believe.  Will let you know after the tour if you like.   

Also there is a Hoppa on Hoppa off bus tour in Hilo, which I believe goes to many of the sights.  

I just booked this tour. Tina was very nice.

Only thing is, it says we don’t get there till 9:30. Our email from Tina says we will meet at 8:10am.  She did say we may be the only ship in port and she would wait of course. She said they put that on there but sometimes we are early. She didn’t ask for any money and we can cancel at anytime. We will see, but would love some feedback if anyone else goes and has the 9:30 arrival time.

it has everything we want. Volcano, black sand beach etc.

19 hours ago, sawyershane said:

I just booked this tour. Tina was very nice.

Only thing is, it says we don’t get there till 9:30. Our email from Tina says we will meet at 8:10am.  She did say we may be the only ship in port and she would wait of course. She said they put that on there but sometimes we are early. She didn’t ask for any money and we can cancel at anytime. We will see, but would love some feedback if anyone else goes and has the 9:30 arrival time.

it has everything we want. Volcano, black sand beach etc.

We were to arrive at 8:00 am, but were there by 7:30 am.  We were the only ship in port that day.  Tina’s tour was very good and did get to all the sights you would want to see, very informative and relaxed and we liked the small group.   There also is a Hoppa on Hoppa off bus that goes to all the sights.  Yesterday we took a taxi into town ($12).  There also is a bus that you can get a short walk from port that will take you into town ($2, $1 seniors),  but out of the port.  Coming back we were going to just take the bus, but the Hoppa on Hoppa off came by the bus station and offered to take us back to the ship for $5 and could take us into the port (bus does not, drops outside the port a short walk)  also we went to a few other stops (sights) on the way back so had a little tour as well.  The Hoppa on Hoppa off is $20/pp so another option.  There is a free bus that will take you to WalMart and had long lines, but a big bus and runs every 30 minutes.  Also there is a free shuttle to the farmers market but only on certain days and think need to make reservations.   We were docked in Hilo so getting off was easy.  Also, we are on the Port side and had a nice view of Hilo from our veranda.