Devoted X'er back from Royal Caribbean

goouchjac

We got back on Sunday(yesterday) and had to let my fellow X'ers our view of RCC..We were on the Radiance, beautiful ship in certain places, did not care for the centrum (in the middle of the whole ship), we thought the nicest was the Colony Club, done very nice is woods and nautical theme. Food was not bad,coffee awful, service no way as good on X,,,no pool attendants, no abundance of towels at the pool, had to carry them around with you, no cushions on the deck chairs(we are spoiled I know).No lounge near the dining room where you could sit before or after dinner and have a drink and dance.Cabin was adequate, balcony same size, bathroom shower very small, if you are really big would have a big problem and also not as much storage as X has...Entertainment was good, shows really good, some we thought better than X...

Their loyalty program is better tho..We are elite on X and "diamond" on RC,,they had a wonderful brunch for members and it was really top notch, also got a very good discount on our cabin...The captain on the Radiance is a hoot,,very friendly and always walking around mingling with the passengers, being Norwegian his announcements always ended with "herdy gerdy" whatever that means, but he was very personable..Would we cruise with them again? Probably, but as I have said before X takes first place and they really do spoil you,,,it was a good cruise, but we found ourselves comparing alot of things....

One more thing,,,Port of Miami much better system off the ship, they have carousels like the airports and it's alot easier to get your luggage.

Happy cruising all...:)

Hi Goouchjac !

Welcome Home. I agree with your comments. Royal Caribbean does a great job, but Celebrity is a much better overall experience. We also look at Royal Caribbean or Princess, when Celebrity has no itineraries for us. However, Celebrity is always our first choice.

Few more things on the Radiance,,,the speciality restaurant "Chops" was excellent! Price was $20.pp and more than worth it..Prices on their photos is less than X also, $9.95, only bought one tho, we take so many pictures ourselves....One thing that irked me (again spoiled), can't get room service the morning of debarkation:( ,,like my coffee first thing...

Found the pool area smaller, seems it's not as wide, but their are alot of places for sitting, really didn't explore much of the ship...No water pitchers in the cabins either, have to get it from room service, they don't have pantry's on each floor...

Ann

Glad to hear some of the good points. Am on the Brilliance in March and am looking forward to the comparison between it and the Summit which we were on last March. Would have preferred to cruise X this year as well but they didn't have any 10+ day cruises that worked. Maybe next year.

seriously, that is the most disturbing thing I've heard about a non-Celebrity line yet, and I didn't realize it was something special to Celebrity. Does HAL have water pitchers? Princess? Just wondering -- TR

Princess does not have water pitchers. They have large bottles of Evian in the cabins that you can buy for some inflated price.

I LOVE the water pitchers on Celebrity. A small but really nice thing.

Happy sailing.

Joanie

My DW and I have a cruise coming up in a couple of weeks on the Mercury. This will be our 4th cruise on X, and we always feel pampered and spoiled. We do cruise in an RS, and we have liked the cabin so we have always booked the same one. So far we have always enjoyed our experience.

We are also booked on the Monarch in March, a great ship for a quick getaway, but more importantly, we are on the Jewel on April 30th, headed for England, and then staying on for the Baltics cruise. We have an OS, as we have had in the past. Outside of not having a butler, we think that the service on RCCl is just as good as X. We do have a water pitcher in our cabin. I think that at times I have had to ask for it, but it is provided.

I have heard some horror stories of people staying in suites on RCCL, and I'm sure that they are true, to some extent. So far, we have been treated very well on both lines. I'll report back after each trip.

Rick

I recently got back from a cruise on the Summit. I normally cruise with RCI but I have to admit that I really liked this last X cruise. I only have RCI cruises booked at this time but all I can think about is when will my next X cruise be. It looks like I will now have to share my time with two cruise lines.

As a diamond member you should have got a free $20 photograph. You also had the advantage of the concierge lounge which is small on radiance but a nice touch for a complimentary before or after dinner drink and appetizers and is good for cappucinos at any time.

While I like X my family actually prefers the 'International' food on RCCL. We havent been on Celebrity for two years so maybe that is something that has improved with the increased prices. We were on Horizon a couple of years ago and the food was terrible. Constellation was a couple of notches better.

Archived