New to Seabourn

Scotty1

Hi Everyone ..we're new to Seabourn and booked on the March 26 Legend cruise out of STT. I've noticed on Seabourn's website that they offer a Personal Valet Luggage Service, can anyone tell me how "pricey" it is and if they've experienced any problems in using it ? My wife doesn't travel light so the thought of not having to lug 2 or 3 large pieces of luggage through Atlanta's airport is attractive.

Thanks in advance !

Hi Scotty:

Welcome to the Seabourn discussion board! I don't know how much the "Personal Valet service" runs, but I'm sure it's a bit "pricey". Probably it would be best to call the Seabourn office and inquire. I believe they use DHL as their carrier and you must have your luggage ready to be picked up quite a while in advance of your trip (probably depends upon the destination involved).

I've seen a mention by one or two posters here regarding it; perhaps he/she'll chime in soon....

[i'll be folllowing you on the Legend in April from St. Thomas (my first Seabourn cruise)....]

Happy Sailing!

Paul:)

You can count on every bit of $200 or so. Also, you will have to have your luggage ready about 2 weeks prior to departure.

If you plan to overnight in St. Thomas the evening before the cruise you can also ship your luggage to the hotel you will be staying at (basically using the same DHL or FedEx service) for a lot less..and then just have them throw the bags in the back of the taxi the next morning.

Just a note, last year I wanted to use the Valet service to STT, but when I called for pricing they told me it was not available because the cruise was on a Sunday. It was also Easter Sunday, so I'm not sure if that was the reason or not.

Just give Seabourn a call and they will give you pricing immediately.

I have used the Seabourn/DHL service to and from Europe, and it was $350.00 each way. But it was very easy, all the paperwork done and sent to me; and then DHL just came and picked up my suitcase, which was outside my door on the 6th floor of my building. I used it for a large suitcase and cruises of 22 days. I just needed a carry-on to London. I don't know if they can provide service to the Carribean, but for me, they are short cruises and I don't need quite so much. In actually, I don't need as much as I take, with the terrific laundry/cleaning service. Those costs are less than the shipping.

The person who handles this, works part time, I believe, and is in on M,T, and TH.

Welcome aboard "New To Seabourn".

Few suggestions:

First, when posting it helps to be more descriptive in the message header.... something that refers to your actual question.

Next - try a search as you will find some good feedback from others that have actually used the service in the past. Some of those great posters may not be currently active on the boards.

And, a bit of soapbox here, but... gee whiz, how hard is it to drag bags along. Tip the taxi guy at home $20, the guy at the airport another $10, a few $20 tips on the other end and you are done. Okay, maybe I just don't have a few hundred to throw around. AND, I like a bit more control over my bags vs. handing off to someone a week or two before the cruise.

For some of us it IS hard to lug around 50 pound plus bags. I found out just how difficult it can be while traveling alone for the first time in many years last December. The first problem was lifting my suitcase into my car--not so easy when one only weighs 2 1/2 times the luggage. I ended up shipping my big bag home after a post-cruise stay in Florida. Seabourn's luggage service is looking most attractive now.

>"but... gee whiz, how hard is it to drag bags along"I have a long-term disability which impedes my mobility. It is very hard, when one travels alone, to 'drag a bag' in and out of car trunks, on an d off airport carousels and other travel modes. In many foreign airports there are no porters to assist. To me, it's a bargain for long cruises. Nothing better than finding one's bag in one's suite, all ready to be unpacked!

I was disappointed to find Seabourn does not have the baggage valet available on Caribbean cruises. I have two good sized luggage bags, plus a carry-on. I also have another (huge!) dive bag with all my scuba gear. I was hoping to get one of the larger bags sent ahead of me, but when I called Seabourn they said they aren't set up to deliver to the Caribbean right now. I guess I could figure it out with DHL independently though? Anyone know?

Jane

I'm sure you could call the hotel you'll be staying at in St. Thomas and check with them about shipping ahead to them. Then it's just extra tips to cab drivers to the ship....

Don't forget to check on your return from Ft L!!! :eek:

Paul :)

You know, I'm abandoning the idea of shipping luggage ahead and then back, it costs an absolute fortune, like, almost $500 round trip. Instead, I'm using the money to hire a car to take us from the Ft. Lauderdale port to church, and then to lunch. I put this on another thread, but if anyone wants to join us for either church or brunch, let me know...we're going to Calvary Chapel, Ft. Lauderdale, service is at 10:15, and then to the River House for brunch about noon. Our plane leaves FLL about 4:15 p.m.

Jane :)

Jane, it's good that you will have a car/driver on Apr. 23rd.

Ship's that will be arriving at Port Everglades on Sun., Apr. 23rd are:

2 Princess Star & Coral

Carnival Liberty

Costa Mediterranea

Celebrity Millennium

and the Seabourn Legend.

"Praise the Lord" the Queen Mary2 arrives the NEXT day, Apr. 24th!

MB

You know, I can't say how invaluable it's been being on these boards and getting such expert information in so many areas of cruising. I would never have thought there would be any problem getting a taxi or whatever, not having taking into consideration there are a gazillion other people with the same idea. The light bulb went on over my head yesterday, thinking of renting a van (we need room for all the luggage...er....all MY luggage) to take us around Ft. Lauderdale, and then to the airport. Anyway, thanks so much, once again, Martita, for your expertise.

Matt, how I would love to meet you! We will be the ones pulling up in a white van, four of us, 1 guy and three women! I can't wait to visit Calvary. My sis is excited to, she and her husband listen to your pastor on the radio.

Jane :)

Archived