Grand Princess-offline movie viewing on new TVs

mauiluver

Hey All,  we are going on the Grand Princess May 6, 2019 for Alaska. I understand the Grand was refurbished in March this year and new TVs were installed in the cabins. We would like to view movies we have downloaded onto our ipads and laptop (off-line) using an HDMI cable connected from ipad/laptop to the TV. Does anyone know if the HDMI on the new TVs are accessible? If they are accessible does anyone know how to change the video source on the tv? thanks much for any feedback.

Hi

I'm just off Grand post dry dock and took a look at the inputs on the new LG flat panel TV's.  All the usual connections are there included more than one HDMI jacks.  The remote allows you to select inputs, but only one's that are 'live' - I didn't go so far as to actually stream content to the TV but I saw nothing to suggest that one couldn't.

I can't say for certain about the Grand but on the Regal, CB & Crown they have an HDMI input & you can switch to by using their remote or toggle switch on the TV.

They also had a streaming capability on the Crown, I noticed, that lets you connect via Bluetooth for music from the phone. 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:11 AM, mauiluver said:

Hey All,  we are going on the Grand Princess May 6, 2019 for Alaska. I understand the Grand was refurbished in March this year and new TVs were installed in the cabins. We would like to view movies we have downloaded onto our ipads and laptop (off-line) using an HDMI cable connected from ipad/laptop to the TV. Does anyone know if the HDMI on the new TVs are accessible? If they are accessible does anyone know how to change the video source on the tv? thanks much for any feedback.

To connect an iPad, you’ll need an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. I’ve viewed downloaded movies and shows from my iPhone and iPad on Princess.  

The problem with many cruise ships TVs is simply the distance and angles that don't result in optimal viewing, particularly for those used to huge screens and sound systems at home in a recliner or couch. Personally, I prefer watching on my ipad directly in bed or in parts of the ship with minimal glare and noise. 

9 hours ago, mauiluver said:

shirazcruiser: thank you we do have a digital av adapter. Is it easy to access the "input" or "source" on the remote to enable watching on the hdmi connection?

We haven't tried to use the ship remote. We always bring a cheap RCA universal remote with a source/input button (Amazon $7)and program it with the LG tv codes when we get on board with no problems.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, mauiluver said:

thanks much, getting a universal remote today.

Most likely a waste of money since the on the last 3 Princess ships the TV's could be switched manually or by their remote.