Visa arrive Beijing by plane and leave Tianjin by ship

billyjey

Hope someone can help. We arrive in Beijing airport on Sat 5th October 19 and sail from Tianjin cruise port on 7th October.

Has anyone out there done anything similar this as we cant seem to get visa information for this type of trip.

If we arrive by plane and leave by plane then the TWOV 72 hour visa exemption scheme is correct. Arriving by plane and leaving by ship is not mentioned on the embasy site.

I have emailed the embasy but still cant get a straight Yes or No.

Hi there, I am flying from Manchester UK. First port of call is Fukuoka in Japan. 

The reason for clarity is that in all the regulations i can find online it is only airports that are mentioned for in transit. The person i spoke to at Royal Caribbean reckons that the 72 hour visa exemption is ok. I just like to check. Thank you

On 4/28/2019 at 4:28 AM, billyjey said:

Hi there, I am flying from Manchester UK. First port of call is Fukuoka in Japan. 

The reason for clarity is that in all the regulations i can find online it is only airports that are mentioned for in transit. The person i spoke to at Royal Caribbean reckons that the 72 hour visa exemption is ok. I just like to check. Thank you

You should qualify for the 144 hour visa exemption. The guidance is you need to arrive from a different country than where you leave to. Since you arrive from the UK then sail to Japan you should be fine, 

Thanks for your reply which backs up how i see it and common sense says it should be fine.

It was the fact that ships are not mentioned on the official paperwork but probably wasn't considered at the time of printing.

If anyone else has views or experience of this situation please let us know. 

• 3 months later...

The transit visa / visa exemption can be applied in you case. As long as you stay within the Shanghai area it’s regardless if you arrive by plane and leave by ship. The airport and the cruise port are regarded ports of entry/exit. With us it was the other way around - arrival by ship, leaving by plane... no problem.

Read more about the rules here: