MSC Sinfonia April 6, 2019 11 Day Mediterranean with photos

Match Game 72

1 minute ago, Match Game 72 said:

Thanks so much! Here's a teaser..our trip did not end in Barcelona.  We continued on to London and got to see a tiny bit of your country, too!

So you went to Southampton ?

We took the public bus to the center of town. To find the bus, just keep walking past all the other modes of transportation until you are nearly out of the port gates. Tickets can be bought from the driver. 

Here's picture of the bus stop sign where you are dropped off.  It's the first and only stop from the cruise port. Also, here's a picture of the "you are here" map at that stop near the New Venetian Fortress. It's a neat walk through some narrow alleys to the Old Fortress.

DSCN4915.JPG

DSCN4917.JPG

We walked back to the shop area, ate some gelato, and found Corfu Sandals. DS had asked to get Greek sandals on our trip. I had found Corfu Sandals on Trip Advisor. The shop was exactly as described. It was jam packed with Greek sandals of all styles and sizes. From tiny toddlers to women to men. And the shop was staffed by two young women who really know their wares. They helped us find exactly what we liked. They even converted our US shoe sizes to European for us.

Here's a picture of their enormous sandal.  Perhaps it belongs to Zeus?

DSCN4950.JPG

DSCN4951.JPG

• Like 1

We got a bit turned around in the alleys on our way back to the bus stop.  Again, a helpful person set us back on track. When we got there, we had intended to walk along the shore back to the ship. It really isn't all that far. But then an older man with a horse drawn carriage approached us. And we hired him for just 20 euro to take us back to port.  It was a really fun experience.

DSCN4959.JPG

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 10, we visited Katakolon which is the port nearest to Olympia - the birthplace of the Olympics. We took an MSC excursion to Olympia and the museum. If you want to get there yourself, walk outside the port gates, $10 bus rides were advertised.

I was glad that we had an English speaking guide. On the bus, she gave us interesting bits of information like how many liters of olive oil a family uses. (It's a lot!) And at the site, she made each section more understandable with her descriptions of how it was used.

The purple flowering trees are called Judas trees. They only flower for two weeks a year, and we were lucky enough to see them.

DSCN4965.JPG

DSCN4963.JPG

DSCN4964.JPG

Thursday, April 11 was our day at Crete.  Originally, I had booked a ship's excursion to Knossos Palace. Once I started reading trip reports, however, it became clear that the site was extremely easy to get to. And much less expensive if we took the public bus.  So, the public bus it was!

The woman at the bus ticket booth (in blue in the picture below) was extremely helpful. She had drawn our the route in multiple languages. She also told us how to stop at the museum on the way back to the ship. We bought all day bus tickets for 5 euro each.

When we purchased our entry tickets for Knossos, we bought the museum combination ticket for just 1 euro more. This was a fantastic deal.

DSCN5061.JPG

DSCN5062.JPG

Knossos is enormous. I understand that the buildings were reconstructed with some questionable choices on the part of the archaeologist. Still, the sheer size was impressive.

From documentaries we had watched, I had no idea of the site's size. It was the first sunny day of our trip, and we trekked all over the site.

DSCN5069.JPG

DSCN5071.JPG

DSCN5074.JPG

We bought some soft drinks from the shops across from the site's entrance. Then we boarded the bus for the center of town. Once there, the museum is just across the street from the bus stop. It was very easy to navigate the public bus system.

Some pictures from the museum...

DSCN5099.JPG

DSCN5103.JPG

DSCN5105.JPG

One of the most impressive displays at the museum was a map overlaid with coins found during excavations on Crete. As you can see, the coins were from far and wide. I can only imagine the travel conditions people must have endured to get to Crete.

DSCN5110.JPG

• Like 1

Athens was our stop on Friday, April 12, 2019. We booked the Acropolis and museum tour with MSC. A couple of days earlier, we got a note in our cabin that their was a strike in Athens that would affect the Acropolis tour. This meant the site opened at 11 instead of 9. Our museum tour was flipped to the morning, but I'm not sure how MSC handled it for those who did not visit the museum.

To meet our tour, we had to gather in the theater by 7:15 am. Local time was now seven hours different for us. It was a bit of a struggle, but we made it to the buffet for breakfast and to the meeting point on time. Excursions were well organized. We had no questions about which bus to board.

The museum of the Parthenon was elegant and gave a thorough introduction to the history of the Acropolis.

DSCN5115.JPG

DSCN5118.JPG

DSCN5123.JPG

By the time our group left at 10:30, the museum was chock full of school groups. Next, we walked to a couple of shops. We picked up a few small items. And it had begun to rain. In fact, it was raining so heavily that the water just poured down the steps to the Acropolis, and my feet were soaked.

DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5159.JPG

DSCN5160.JPG