CELEBRITY GRATUITIES NOW 20%

KillerP

On 5/4/2019 at 7:21 AM, hcat said:

That's the irony of increasing the gratuities on the  bevs.....hardly anyone comes around at the pool,  and even in the clubs you have to go up to the bar,  edge your way in and hope someones takes your order.  Seems there are fewer sommeliers per dining rm as well, thus slower service.

Servers in the theater are an exception...they have a limited time to get the orders and drinks out...and collect empty glasses.  They deserve battle pay!  I also assume specialty bartenders like Martini Bar Stars...get an equal share of the grats but more cash tips???

Question Will the grat  increase when you  get a drink priced over your plan?  So the diff would be  between the allowable amt  and the drink  price plus 20% on the diff.?

Never had any problem on our Apr cruise. If the pool bar was busy I'd just go upstairs to the mast bar where there's usually less people. Even just sitting by the pool, someone would come past often enough and ask for any drink orders.

My celebrity cruise about 6 weeks ago wanted 69 a day for drink package which is more than 20 a day then we normally pay on rccl . So we just skipped it of course we had suite and was very happy drinking in micheals for no additional cost . Our next cruise is msc yacht club which we are really looking forward to. 

On 5/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, Presto2 said:

You are joking?! For how long? That is a huge wage if it is only for a 6 month contract ….

Does he mean per annum?

If this is for 6 months he earns more than me as I pay 40% tax on my earnings here in the UK ...

I know people who work flat out, extremely hard and some, for £25,000 a year gross ..

They have families to support too ...

Are you sure this is right?

I am really shocked

?????????????????

Not sure why you are surprised.  In Michaels, they probably get cash tips for drinks for 5 hours a day.  Assume $30 per hour in extra cash tips,   times 5 hours, times 30 days time 9 months  That is $40K per year.  Plus salary and shared tips, $60K seams about right for a bartender.  That is 7 days as week for 9 months.  

Not sure why it would be tax free????

Regardless, for a 7 night cruise, assuming you get 5 drinks a day at $15 each, the extra 2% is about $10 per cruise - What is the big deal?

7 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Not sure why you are surprised.  In Michaels, they probably get cash tips for drinks for 5 hours a day.  Assume $30 per hour in extra cash tips,   times 5 hours, times 30 days time 9 months  That is $40K per year.  Plus salary and shared tips, $60K seams about right for a bartender.  That is 7 days as week for 9 months.  

Not sure why it would be tax free????

Regardless, for a 7 night cruise, assuming you get 5 drinks a day at $15 each, the extra 2% is about $10 per cruise - What is the big deal?

First of all - am from the UK so still trying to get my head around how tipping works in the UAS - to me your whole system is bizarre, but it is what it is and someone has posted to help me to explain why the system is as it is.

Anyway, re tax free - I would have thought the cash in hands tips were.

Re the additional cost - the drinks are already silly prices so to then put yet another 2% on them really seems like greed to me. It is obvious now though that the staff do not benefit from these inflated prices, but the company does. It is a big deal when we have already paid a fortune and other gratuities as part of the cost of the cruise.

Re the amount they earn. To us that is about £45,000 a year (as they have 3 months at home between contracts)

In the UK that is probably the wage for a senior manager in a school for a year doing heaven only knows how many hours a week. To us in the UK earning £45,000 a year is a heck of a lot for a bar tender and, yes, as such I am still shocked.

• Like 1