Catamaran cruise with a bad back??

nhquilter1

We're heading to Bermuda on 9/1 and would like to take a snorkel or sunset catamaran cruise but my sister-in-law has back issues and is concerned about having to sit on the trampoline (? Is that what it's called?) with her back bothering her. Are there other places to sit on the boat and are they comfortable for someone with back issues???

TIA!

Catamaran trampoline sitting would be out - very difficult for even the able- bodied to maneuver around. While there are other seating areas onboard, many require pretty steady feet to get to while the boat is underway, and there is the inevitable boat movement that puts strain on the stationary back as well.

I’d suggest a catamaran is not a good idea for someone with back issues.

We'll also be in Bermuda the same week and have booked the catamaran for Friday morning.  We're just going for the ride - not so much for the snorkeling.  this is a picture I took on Rising Son in 2009 that shows benches along the side, so you don't have to sit on the trampoline.    It can get bouncy when they're under sail, but it is so much fun.  Your SIL will have to decide if the benches will be comfortable/supportive enough for her.

image.png.e7ce5d911b1fa834bcf9b24998e770b8.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, SuzeCruz1 said:

We'll also be in Bermuda the same week and have booked the catamaran for Friday morning.  We're just going for the ride - not so much for the snorkeling.  this is a picture I took on Rising Son in 2009 that shows benches along the side, so you don't have to sit on the trampoline.    It can get bouncy when they're under sail, but it is so much fun.  Your SIL will have to decide if the benches will be comfortable/supportive enough for her.

image.png.e7ce5d911b1fa834bcf9b24998e770b8.png

Thank you for the photo. That's very helpful!

As long as she has no expectation other than to sit on one of the benches while underway, it would be fine.  The larger catamarans have good space for bench seating. She will have to step up and down from the dock to board and disembark.  

On 5/29/2019 at 1:08 PM, nhquilter1 said:

Thank you for the photo. That's very helpful!

you're very welcome.

Hope your part of Lancaster survived the storms and tornados the last couple of nights.  

17 hours ago, SuzeCruz1 said:

you're very welcome.

Hope your part of Lancaster survived the storms and tornados the last couple of nights.  

I fared well, 20 min away, not so much. My son got hail and I barely got a storm!

Thanks for the good thoughts!

• Like 1