Chacchoben ruins

Jem76

We are travelling in August and looking at visiting but have a very anxious traveller with us can anyone tell us 

how far from the drop off area it is to the ruins or main temple?

how much animals/ wildlife we are likely to see she has a severe fear of birds and monkeys? are they wandering round or just visible from afar.?

Would it be possible to see the temple and then get back to the car easily so she can wait there for us 

thanks to anyone who can answer, her anxiety is starting to ruin the trip before we’ve even set off so any nice constructive comments would be appreciated 

From what I recall, it’s not a long walk, maybe a few hundred yards, depending on where the drop you off. There were some spider monkeys in the trees when we were there, including a mom and 2 babies.  We did not see any on the ground and they did not seem to be likely to approach people. I am sure there were birds there as well, but did not pay particular attention to them or remember any issues.

I would check with those you are booking the tour with to ask about going back to wait in the car. Our driver and guide were with us during the tour, so the van was locked. We used Native Choice Tours and they are very reputable and may be able to work with you so she can go back to the car. 

Also know that there are flamingos and and aviary exhibit at the port. I’m not sure if that would be an issue, but may be worth mentioning so she can be aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in 2012

I don't think I saw any animals whatsoever, and that includes the drive to and from the ruins.

Did hear a few birds though.   Don't let her watch Bird Box before the trip. :classic_laugh:

She would be able to go back the bus at any point I believe. It isn't a very far walk.

Gotta say though, that was one of the coolest places I have ever been. (it started raining half way through our tour)

It will be worth the trouble!

196.thumb.JPG.3e686c0f10d05cce0acf7c1d83aaf514.JPG169.thumb.JPG.e251f183a170bf76a2a2198b9e86a9f4.JPG192.thumb.JPG.65bd03bbe8a32673736390fc0040e3d9.JPG161.thumb.JPG.577ec15febd3be72041e2c21af11d90a.JPG