Princess Balcony partitions?

13cheermom

So first time booking with Princess, and just wondered if Princess ships (specifically Ruby Princess) has balcony partitions that can be opened if you are booking adjacent cabins?  Specifically the aft rear-facing ones to be exact.  Thanks for any information!  I know on Carnival certain ones can be opened to combine, wasn't sure how Princess worked.

Yes. There are a few adjacent cabins that don't. If your cabins is separated by a fire door in the hallway, your balcony cabin partitions typically remain permanently fixed. However if the cabin next to you is in the same fire section then your steward can open the divider. Some ship deck plans illustrate where the fire doors are by a delineating line in the hallway. Bring bungie strap, duct tape, cords or something to secure it from banging all night or all your neighbors will hate you. Proping it with chair is not enough. You must secure it well. Enjoy. 

Edited by masterty

On 5/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, 13cheermom said:

We -- two couples -- sailed Royal in 2017, and the partition between our balconies opened up COMPLETELY, giving us a huge balcony for hanging out.  It was wonderful.

This February we sailed Island, and there is a door that can be opened between the balconies, but it's like a Hobbit door, and you can't hang out together.  Two small balconies don't become one large one.  The door flaps around.  Disappointing. 

Don't bother calling the Princess line because they can't help you.  When we called about the balcony situation on Island, the rep assured us that Island would be like Royal; it wasn't.

14 hours ago, ecs66 said:

So we noticed that on the aft balconies on Ruby Princess, however we just want to have connection between both rooms without going out in the hall.  Someone suggested bringing a bunji cord or some secure method to keep door from banging back and forth.  Will have to look into that.  I think it has to do with the depth of these balconies and the fixed partitions at the railings.  Since this is an Alaskan cruise we wanted aft balconies to avoid the wind somewhat, so it will be fine and will provide a better full on view over a side balcony.  Actually when I called in I got lucky and had someone check to verify about the connecting door and explained about the 2' door, so we knew ahead of time.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:56 AM, masterty said:

Yes. There are a few adjacent cabins that don't. If your cabins is separated by a fire door in the hallway, your balcony cabin partitions typically remain permanently fixed. However if the cabin next to you is in the same fire section then your steward can open the divider. Some ship deck plans illustrate where the fire doors are by a delineating line in the hallway. Bring bungie strap, duct tape, cords or something to secure it from banging all night or all your neighbors will hate you. Propping it with chair is not enough. You must secure it well. Enjoy. 

You can tell where the fire doors are by the cabin numbers. When the numbers change (i.e. 412 to 502) there's a fire door between those cabins.

There's supposed to be a hook/eye thingy that holds the door. Yours was missing?

53 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can tell where the fire doors are by the cabin numbers. When the numbers change (i.e. 412 to 502) there's a fire door between those cabins.

There's supposed to be a hook/eye thingy that holds the door. Yours was missing?

So we were wondering about the doors banging also, seems like there should be some way to secure them on the ship.  It's hard to know what I would need since I have never sailed on the ship before, lol.  

16 hours ago, ecs66 said:

We -- two couples -- sailed Royal in 2017, and the partition between our balconies opened up COMPLETELY, giving us a huge balcony for hanging out.  It was wonderful.

This February we sailed Island, and there is a door that can be opened between the balconies, but it's like a Hobbit door, and you can't hang out together.  Two small balconies don't become one large one.  The door flaps around.  Disappointing. 

Don't bother calling the Princess line because they can't help you.  When we called about the balcony situation on Island, the rep assured us that Island would be like Royal; it wasn't.

ECS66,  when you say Royal, are you referring to the ship Royal Princess or the cruise line Royal Caribbean International?

2 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So we were wondering about the doors banging also, seems like there should be some way to secure them on the ship.  It's hard to know what I would need since I have never sailed on the ship before, lol.  

They are secured with large hook and eye closures. These can rattle and I’ve used coupons from the book they give you folded up and stuffed in the “eye” around the hook. Best use of the coupons I know of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

They are secured with large hook and eye closures. These can rattle and I’ve used coupons from the book they give you folded up and stuffed in the “eye” around the hook. Best use of the coupons I know of. 

Thank you so much for this very helpful tip!  I knew my CC friends would help me out. 😁.  

2 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

ECS66,  when you say Royal, are you referring to the ship Royal Princess or the cruise line Royal Caribbean International?

That would be the Royal Princess.

We'll be on Sky Princess in February and hope the balcony situation will be similar, since we've heard they're in the same class, basically.