Polynesian population

If you have been intrigued by the Polynesian people and where they came from, perhaps having your appetite whetted by PG's sometime on-board lecturer Mark Eddowes, here is an informative review of two books on this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/books/review/polynesian-history-christina-thompson-sea-people.html

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for to read on the cruise.  I was going to do Rob Mundle’s bio of Cpt Cook but these two seem much better.  Both downloaded and ready on my Kindle, thank you for sharing! 

A bit off topic, but Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, was a fan of Capt. Cook.  So Captain James Cook became Captain James Kirk on the TV show.  Cook was funded by the Royal Society of London, and his mission was to explore, not to claim territory for England.  So the mission of his sea ships Resolution and Endeavor was the same as the Starfleet mission of the star ship Enterprise.

Just saw this post after posting about the Thompson book, great minds eh!!!! 

I was looking for your post on books and completely missed this one. Heard her interviewed on the radio today about Sea People and sounds like her writing style is very easy read and interesting. So I’m off to buy that one too! 

Cheerrs Wendy

41 minutes ago, davwen81 said:

Just saw this post after posting about the Thompson book, great minds eh!!!! 

I was looking for your post on books and completely missed this one. Heard her interviewed on the radio today about Sea People and sounds like her writing style is very easy read and interesting. So I’m off to buy that one too! 

Cheerrs Wendy

I can’t stop raving about Sea People. It just keeps blowing me away chapter after chapter. I highly suggest having access to a iPad/computer while reading so you can pull up maps and images. Zooming in on all the Islands, tracing the routes of Cook, and looking at some of the historic oil paintings adds another layer of immersion.