clothing for May Alaska cruise

janica

We are cruising Alaska May 15 - the first cruise of the season.... I'm wondering about the temperature (daytime and night) during this time. From what I have read, there is a lot of variation in temperature. I suppose jeans and sweaters for daytime will be a safe bet. I am wondering about winter weight slacks for casual evening wear.... what about staying warm enough in evening wear on formal nights? My husband teases me and tells me that the ships ARE heated, but I tend to freeze! Any suggestions?

The inside of ships is climate controlled, but you will probably get cold in a skimpy gowns and sandals. :) So wear more fall like clothes, A light wrap is beneficial for dining. If you plan on being out of deck- highly recommended and at least get out there glacier sailing day- bring a wide range of attire. Lightweight lined jacket, knit hat, gloves, layers, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes.

Janica,

inside the ship the temp is costantly kept around 70,

but outside sometime there was still snow!!

aturally when in proximity of the glaciers...do not expect to go out...with jeans ,you should have also some heavy cloth.

Ciao

I would dress for the evenings the same way you would dress if you were cruising in other areas.

You have the right approach to daytime wear. Dress in layers. Be sure to also bring jackets with you just in case it's cooler during the day.

Keith

We dress in layers, take a warm water repellent jacket and if it rains we put on one of those cheap poncho rain coats over everything. Umbrellas are a hazard if it's windy. I also take long underwear and my Ugg boots to wear on deck if it is cold and windy. I bought some ear muffs in Juneau last time, and I love them. One of our pieces of luggage is a duffel bag with wheels. It works great for packing those bulky items like heavy jacket, boots, shoes, etc. Will definitely take a dressy sweater or warm wrap for evening.

I would take the water repellent jacket but one that provided some warmth (eg., not a wind breaker but something heavier). But, either way I would take one or the other unless you have the extra room in your luggage and want to take both.

Keith

Oh, i can respond to this one..

We went the later part of May last year and we we really surprised by the wonderful weather.. It was cool on the outside of the ship while the ship was traveling.. The glaciers are very cold. Get you a seat, a blanket, gloves and hat and be prepared for the view. While we were at port it was comfortable.

Though we both had light jackets and we just bought the 1.00 rain jackets at wal-mart.

You will love it..

I really did enjoy the cruise and so shall you.

paula

This is our first cruise - it's Celebrity Mercury - and I'm now totally confused about men's dress on formal nights. I'd assumed it was tux or black suit, then I read somewhere or other, sports jackets and ties would do [we're happily assuming shirts and pants here].

I don't want my poor guy to stand out - but he's a college prof - he has the jackets and ties [even pants] but no black suits.

Please advise.

Archived