new to Norwegian need help

MooNGaTe27

Hi Im looking to go on the Escape in Mar 2021 & need help. It will be our 1st time on Norwegian but have cruised on other lines several times. I'm looking for what deck & cabin would be good for a balcony. I will have the 5 free with this sailing .Also do I need to pre book dinners & shows .Any tips will help

10 minutes ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

Hi Im looking to go on the Escape in Mar 2021 & need help. It will be our 1st time on Norwegian but have cruised on other lines several times. I'm looking for what deck & cabin would be good for a balcony. I will have the 5 free with this sailing .Also do I need to pre book dinners & shows .Any tips will help

All of the decks are good for balconies, though on the lowest deck (nine I believe?) your view looking directly DOWN from your balcony might be obstructed by life boats. None of the balconies have a truly obstructed view, though. If you can, try to get one of the angled balconies (you can see them on the deck plans where the sides of the ship flare out and back in again). Those balconies cost the same as others in their categories, but the outdoor space is about 1.5 times the size of a normal balcony.

You will want to try to pre-book dinners and shows, but won't be able to do so through My NCL until 120 days prior to sailing. If you don't get the times you want, don't fret! You can still book once on board as long as you do so early on embarkation day.

I was on the Escape in 2015 and had balcony 11730. It was a great room! Bed is by the balcony, which meant I had a great view upon waking. That room is also forward, which means there are no lifeboats below you.

I didn't pick that room myself, it had been an unexpected last minute upgrade a couple of days before the cruise, but I loved it. I honestly don't know if I could have been given a better location.  :)

Edited by dreamr

If you don't book shows in advance, do so when you board.

You should book specialty dinners in advance or as soon as you board, but while main dining rooms offer reservations they aren't needed.  You risk only a short wait.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:54 PM, JamieLogical said:

If you can, try to get one of the angled balconies (you can see them on the deck plans where the sides of the ship flare out and back in again). Those balconies cost the same as others in their categories, but the outdoor space is about 1.5 times the size of a normal balcony.

I sorta have a different view, taking the one just before the angled cabin if on a hump which gives a better view.  The angled prevents you seeing along the hump no?

3 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

I sorta have a different view, taking the one just before the angled cabin if on a hump which gives a better view.  The angled prevents you seeing along the hump no?

Huh? It doesn't I struct your view any more than any other balcony, you still look straight out at the ocean and if you stand right at your railing, you can still see down the length of the ship from either side.... You have 1.5 times the balcony space and as good a view as the balconies on either side of you. Some people do complain that they are less private, because your neighbor on the one side can see into the long end of your balcony. But all they are seeing is your feet if you are in a lounger and they are only seeing the space you wouldn't even have at all in a normal balcony.

17 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Huh? It doesn't I struct your view any more than any other balcony, you still look straight out at the ocean and if you stand right at your railing, you can still see down the length of the ship from either side.... You have 1.5 times the balcony space and as good a view as the balconies on either side of you. 

I'm not convinced (from my experience of it).  To see down the length of the ship (if there is a hump) and you are on the angle, you have to stand at the far left (or far right depending on angle) to do that.  Half way along the railing you don't have a clear view left and right.  We found on our last cruise that the guys on the angle were continually up along the very edge of our cabin to get that 'left-right' view.  No?

(Agree with you of course on balcony size if that is important to someone).

Edited by podgeandrodge
typo

1 minute ago, podgeandrodge said:

I'm not convinced (from my experience of it).  To see down the length of the ship (if there is a hump) and you are on the angle, you have to stand at the far left (or far right depending on angle) to do that.  Half way along the railing you don't have a clear view left and right.  We found on our last cruise that the guys on the angle were continually up along the very edge of our cabin to get that 'left-right' view.  No?

I suppose yes. To see down the one side of the ship, you would have to stand out at the edge of the deeper part. But I guess when I am thinking about balcony views I an thinking the view of the water, not the side of the ship. Also, if a view of the side or the ship is somehow important to you, then the angled balconies do have a better view of the one side because they stick out further and you can kind of look "back" toward that one side. Still the view of the water is every bit as good and you have enough room for a lounge chair, so that makes it significantly better than a normal balcony in my book.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I suppose yes. To see down the one side of the ship, you would have to stand out at the edge of the deeper part. But I guess when I am thinking about balcony views I an thinking the view of the water, not the side of the ship. Also, if a view of the side or the ship is somehow important to you, then the angled balconies do have a better view of the one side because they stick out further and you can kind of look "back" toward that one side. Still the view of the water is every bit as good and you have enough room for a lounge chair, so that makes it significantly better than a normal balcony in my book.

We have succeeded in pointing out all the differences leaving it easy for someone to decide based on their preferences! 🙂

For me its the size I would be going for .I also booked 2 more cabins for friends so I have the angle & they are to my right so I don't care if they can see me we will have the steward open it up anyway .So thanks for all the input .

Ok so what do you think about the shows & pre booking dinner.

I like to eat at 6pm but I don't know what time shows start any hints 

NCL does not open the balcony dividers anymore.  We cruised last April with my sister and her family in adjoining cabins (on the Breakaway) and they stated that they could not open the divider as it was a fire hazard.