New Years cruise

mackfam

Thinking about booking a cruise over the New Year for DH, myself and our four twenty something children and their partners. I’m looking for a ship that will have a lively nightlife to keep the young adults entertained. Considering the premium price for this week, I’m looking for opinions on if the extra cost is worth it and any comments on what cruising over the holidays is like in general. 

We were on a NYE cruise this year. There’s a fancier menu in the MDR and they give out party hats and noise makers. There was a NYE count-down party on the Lido with the DJ and cruise director from about 10:00pm. They give out free champagne, and light-up glow party sticks. It was fun, but other than that, the rest of the cruise was no different than any other we’ve been on.

Ultimately only you can decide if the extra cost booking a cruise over NYE is worth it to you. Like the last poster mention, the only day/night of the cruise that will be different is NYE. Personally I prefer cruising the week of Christmas because they usually have Christmas related activities every day of the cruise leading  up to Christmas. Of course a lot depends on what day of the week Christmas falls on and what dates you are cruising. 

Based on my experience, the ships that have dedicated night clubs tend to have more activity late at night than ships like Vista class ships which don’t have a dedicated night club. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I guess I am wondering what the age demographic is likely to be like that week rather than looking for special activities. Friends of ours cruised over Christmas last year on RCCL and found there were lots of families with young children but not many 20 somethings for their children to interact with. Just wondering if New Year's is likely to be similar. 

I would prefer to do a family cruise at some other time of year but this is easiest for coordinating everyone's time off from work and college.

2 years ago I was on a Christmas cruise and I enjoyed that they did little things to make it more festive. This year we'll have a chance to do NYE on the ship. It's winter break, so I'm sure the ship will be super full of families, but it was never a big issue for us. Plenty of places to "hide" from screaming kids. We found that the late dining had a crowd more our age (30's). I'm excited to be on the Glory in a few months. I just hope everything is still open new year's day in Port! 

2 years ago I was on a Christmas cruise and I enjoyed that they did little things to make it more festive. This year we'll have a chance to do NYE on the ship. It's winter break, so I'm sure the ship will be super full of families, but it was never a big issue for us. Plenty of places to "hide" from screaming kids. We found that the late dining had a crowd more our age (30's). I'm excited to be on the Glory in a few months. I just hope everything is still open new year's day in Port! 

We did a NYE/Honeymoon cruise a few years back and I loved it! My husband wasn't too big of a fan as there were a lot of older teens/early 20's kids and a lot of them were drinking before and after the countdown which made for quite a rowdy/silly bunch. Not as many young kids as there would be in the summer but still a lot of kids. It's definitely quite an experience though; formal night was NYE, they were freely giving out champagne and noise makers and it was just a great way to ring in the new year. We justified the extra cost because it was New Years and our honeymoon so to us, it was worth it.