Broken foot - insurance question

carol54

Hello,

I broke my foot last Saturday, May 25, 2019 and we are set to sail on June 8.  We did purchase travel insurance but I have no idea who to call to cancel (:classic_ohmy: our upcoming trip.  Any suggestions?  Advice?

9 minutes ago, carol54 said:

Hello,

I broke my foot last Saturday, May 25, 2019 and we are set to sail on June 8.  We did purchase travel insurance but I have no idea who to call to cancel (:classic_ohmy: our upcoming trip.  Any suggestions?  Advice?

Call whomever you booked through.  But, first call the insurance company to tell them what’s going on (and to make sure you’re covered).

• Like 2

I'd call the issuer of your travel insurance ASAP and make sure your foot injury is definitely covered. They're the ones who are going to refund you (if you are covered).

You can let the cruise line know you won't be there. 

If you purchased insurance from the cruise line I suppose you call them. 

Just want to assure you that when we had to cancel a cruise a week out (NCL insurance) it was all handled very smoothly.  The insurance company will send an email with the documentation they need.  

We canceled because my sister (who wasn't one of the travelers under the insurance) developed a serious medical condition and could only be released from the hospital to bed rest under the care of somebody else (chiefly, my mother, who was going on the cruise).  We had to provide a note from the doctor as well as a release of her medical records (I gather so they could verify), but I don't know that anybody ever did.  Should be much more straightforward with you as the patient AND passenger., as you can provide your own records.

Everything was settled within a couple of weeks - it truly was pretty painless.  NCL refunded everything that they charged directly (except the cost of the insurance).  Insurance then refunded the rest.

Hope you feel better and can relax a bit.

5 hours ago, carol54 said:

Thank you.  I did get travel insurance through NCL. Called NCL to cancel and they gave me # for insurance company.

If/when you cancel your cruise, NCL will issue cancellation documentation. You must file a claim with the NCL insurance company using that cancellation documentation. Some of the port taxes and any pre-purchased items are refundable at time of cancellation. 

If the insurance company accepts the claim, they will pay you according to the policy.

If the insurance company denies your claim, NCL will issue a 75% credit toward a future cruise.