TAMPA hotel pre-cruise

After perusing the Fla departure forum and reading associated threads on this forum, I still have numerous questions.  We are only familiar with the beach areas of Tampa and know zero about staying in the city. Will be driving to Tampa a day prior to our Monday sailing . Many of our preferred hotels close to the port offer valet parking only and I do not like that. I have looked at hotels in the Westshore area and debating about a few of those but know nothing about the area.  Safety is a huge factor for us and would prefer to have self-parking at the hotel in a secure parking area since we leave our large bag in the car overnight and just take in a small carry- on for the sleepover.

If we stay in the Westshore area, what would  a Monday morning drive be like getting to the Port with Tampa rush hour ? We do plan on parking at the Port.

It is just the two of us , senior adults, no youngsters along with us this time. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Big G.  That was one of our preferences but it is valet only parking  and , as I said, we like to leave so much in the car until the cruise that it was not a good fit.

Bob, I will do that as well. However, there did not seem to be as much participation as over here with this informative and chatty group.

4 minutes ago, kittymamma said:

Thanks Big G.  That was one of our preferences but it is valet only parking  and , as I said, we like to leave so much in the car until the cruise that it was not a good fit.

Bob, I will do that as well. However, there did not seem to be as much participation as over here with this informative and chatty group.

You may not get an immediate answer, but there are lots of Florida experts there.

Hi! I live in Tampa (about 4 blocks from the port to be precise). The Westshore hotel area is very safe. I would leave my bag in the car. As for rush hour---traffic picks up around 730am and ends by 9 am. During non-rush hour it takes about 15 mins to get from Westshore to the port. In rush hour it will take around 25 minutes. 

Thanks elly26...that's just the info I was looking for.  I have checked a few hotels in the Westshore  area and so many are "valet only" which really surprised me.  I understand the ones down by the port not allowing self-park . I will continue my quest and appreciate all of the responses from everyone.

BlueSkySailing, what a great way to start the morning with your video music selection....early happy dance.

Thank you, as the Marriott was one of our first choices, but they have "valet only" parking so we had to eliminate that one and others  down by the channel for the same reason.  We leave most of our cruise bags in the car overnight so don't think it is a good idea to have valet and we have experienced some less than stellar service with valet  in the past....now gun shy.

We are looking at Westshore area, which was recommended as being a safe area  and a few in Brandon. We know nothing about the Brandon area however so reluctant to go there unless we have more information.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1